Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New pressure plate for K40 carts.!!

MovieStuff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt Pacini:

Who said anything about defective cartridges?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a difference between "jitter" and "breathing". Breathing is normal for non pin-registered cameras. Jitter is a defect. Since he wrote:

"VNF 7240 and Color-negative runs through the camera and from beginning to the end there are no jitter problems. Also Kodachrome brings much better results."

It sounded like some sort of "fix" for the known jitter problems that the Kodak carts have. Perhaps I misunderstood....

Roger

------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

S 8 Booster

S8 cameras experience.

I have no 16mm experience but I have 3 different S8 cams.all of them offers total image stabilty in the registration.

There may be indifferences in manufacture or that some of the troubled S8 simply are worn out: unlike the PRO Cams S8s are almost never maintenanced.

I was at a IMAX not long ago. Talking about poor registration? Take a closer look next time. It was a cam piece.

RGDS

------------------
    Vidar

#Pedro

Ludwig:
    How could you test the new pressure plate; I aske for one at Andec, and they told me, that it is not yet available, only in the end of March. Bavaria/Munich is also waiting for a testing unit for intensive tests.
    Do you have any contacts to the developer or to Andec, who first announced that on their web page?

The Andec article does NOT claim that defective carts can be fixed with that plate. It basicly had been developed to improve the S8 registration and focus, that never had been as good as Double Super 8 or Single 8, due to missing sprockets and pressure plate.
    That it COULD fix some of the Kodak carts, which ONLY have problems with film lubrification, that not combines anymore with the pressure of the plate, but NOT carts with real mechanincal problems, is only a side effect and not garanteed in any way (I had asked at Andec about that).

The price could go down, when there will be wide interrest. But nevertheless, the cart-problem remains, and this problem will affect the sales of K40 for Kodak and keep dangerous for the continuity of the stock.
    And without any stock, the plate has no value at all.

Pedro.

------------------

mattias

> What is everyone else's opinion of the state of registration in quality Super 8 cameras

there's definately a registration problem with super-8 in general, but it's almost impossible to notice it unless you have a camera or cartridge problem. you can usually only see it if you do the double exposure test, when it becomes very obvious, or if you try motion tracking and green screen work. when it comes to 16mm, it really depends a lot on the camera. i've mostly used arri cameras, and i can say that the s's (sp?) and bl's have the best registration i've ever seen, while the sr1 is way below average, although just as good as the best super-8 cameras...

/matt

Matt Pacini

I haven't tried the double exposure test, although I'm tempted to now.

I would imagine the registration problem is complex, since it is not only a factor of quality hardware, pressure plates, etc., but the fact that the amount of movement is greatly exaggerated in relation to flim gauge.
    In other words, if a Super 8 camera and a 16mm camera had the exact same amount of weaving from misregistration, the Super8 image is going to look twice as bad, because it's twice as small, so the weave is double, in relation to the image total area.

So it's not necessarily that S8 cameras are poorly engineered, etc., but just that it's much harder to make them twice as accurate as a 16mm camera.

Do you guys think this new pressure plate thing would actually improve the registration?
    (I'm not in any way talking about the bad Kodak cartridges, which I have not had a problem with).

Matt Pacini

------------------

S 8 Booster

Brief comment on non existent jitter or ghost images.

Let me point out that this is not a equipment discussion, just meant as an observation.

For 2 years now I have used viideo only for my home movies. A short while ago I brought up my projector and projected all my old and newer S8 films. What that amazed me was the color balance, sharpness and total stability in the pictures; no jitter visible even when you get close up to the screen. This is not a double exp test, just an impression.

The discussion about S8 frame reqistration (not the faulty cartridges - that is adifferent story) seem strange to me. The images seem just "dead" and are so smooth and stable. Very strange. The camera used on these takes were my Canon 1014 XL-S at a 150? shutter.

Comparing the films from my Elmo 1012XL 220? shutter is a quite different story. The frame accuracy on this is just as good as the C. It is easy to check this visually out by offset the projectors frame adjuster so you can see the split line between the frames.

It is easy to see the jitter on this line.

This is not as precise as the double exposure test but it is a good indicatior.

However, the image stability seem very different (poorer) on the Elmo compared to the Canon.

It is possible that the 220? XL shutter influence on this keeping the shutter open a bit too long? (Correct but still a little to long?)

Both cases are tripod shots so there is no movent on the camera.

------------------
    Vidar

Ludwig

The Kodak Material has no problems with the perforation. That is not the problem. The Kodak cassette system only works well, if all
    parts work together. Film must running through the cartridge in defintely way and
    friction. If friction is not correct, so in
    case of not correct lubrication or other
    other disturbance, the system not works well.
    Also uncorrect friction of camera can causes
    a lot of problems. The steadiness guaranteed
    only through the claw and the pressure plate
    on both sides of the filmgate/ or only fixed plates in some cameras. Every disturbance causes steadiness problems. You only have to
    see that all parts work together. The preasure plate helps, and the the results i have seen are shown, that the problems in the
    filmgate are eleminated. The friction
    of the plastic preasure plate are not working
    and so it helps, that film runs well.
    The thickness of VNF 7240 or Color.Negative
    causes a lot of problems with film friction.
    The first Color Negative (Surveillance) with
    7293 are not working and it is now working much better with Vision 200, because that material are 1/100 mm thinner.
    If black & white material are with steadiness
    problems, mostly the camera friction are uncorrect.

------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12