Thread: Beaulieu zm2 or zm? Which one is better?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been fiddling with the notion of one day purchasing one of these beaulieu cameras, the 4008zm2 or 4008zm, and might once I have more experience and the guts to spend a few hundred dollars on a thirty year old camera. (I spent 75.00 on a complete package with film and polarizing filter,chest tripod, remote switch etc. and thats a great deal) But if I shell out the money, which camera is better. The 4008zm has a faster lens 1.4 compared to a 1.8 on the 400zm2, and a longer zoom 70mm compared to 66mm. But it seems everybody wants the zm2? I've seem the specs on the 814 and 1014 electronic and they seem to be just as good camera as the beaulieu but you guys have the real answer. Enlighten me with you thoughts and I will much appreciate it. Thanks! Hanibaby.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Han-

DO NOT BUY THE ZM!!!! It does not have back-wind. Also the 6-70mm lens was the bigest dog that Beaulieu ever made. Stay away from that the 6-66 is a wonderful piece of glass. I own a 4008ZMII and I love it. It has gotten me through more hard times than I care to remember. I have it serviced by a good friend and I love it to death. The ZM is the same camera but that backwind is nice for Supers. The other thing is that the 666 is a true Macro lens where as the 6-70 is not. If you have any questions let me know and I will answer them. Or, better yet, call my friend Irv Higdon--he worked for Beaulieu back in the 1960's. He is in California 1-800-318-3259. Tell him Adam sent you.

Good Luck
    Adam "Nigel" Forslund

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Thanks Mike and Nigel! A few more questions though? What does the rewind button do? Does it allow for fade in and fade outs? (Thats what I assume). And...Do you think that 400.00 for a zm2 with new charger and ni- cad battery is a good buy. The camera has been fully serviced, but I believe has not been crystal sync'd. I believe Nigel's friend can do from reading previous forum reports. Thanks for the info. By the way, next semester I transfer from San Diego State University and finish my degree in film at Northridge, I'll post reply and info about the new department and opportunities in L.A. for you film buffs. Thanks! Han

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with Adam completely. I have and enjoy a ZM2 -- my second one, in fact. I sold the first last when I was raising cash for a new computer. Guess what? I missed my Beaulieu and bought another this year.

The two Canon models you recommend also are excellent cameras, and Canon cameras have a big following. They also have the very big advantage of running off AA batteries.

But the Beaulieu's 6-66 zoom lens is the best piece of glass I've ever owned.

As you say, these are 25-30 year old cameras, so prepare to spend bucks getting them serviced if the one you buy isn't ship-shape. Irv can advise you about that.

Good luck!

P.S. Oh yeah, to take advantage of that rewind capability Adam was talking anout, you'll need the optional rewind knob. Some cameras come with them, others don't. It depends on whether the previous owner(s) bought it and then kept up with it.