Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Matt Pacini:
    That would be me, suggesting you get some 650 PAR's on ebay.
    They're just a little bit "bluer", and thus well suited for K40, which tends to look a bit golden.
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, typical "car headlight" type bulbs and worklights are in the range of 2800-3200K and would be considered type B, if anything. The only bulbs that go up to 3400K are type A bulbs and they are expensive and very, very hot and don't last long at all, which is why the industry dropped type A stocks and went with type B so that the bulbs would last longer. Since K40 is a type A film stock, it is color balanced to 3400K, which means that using a type B bulb as described will result in a warmer, not bluer, results. In fact, one of the primary reasons that K40 looks overly warm is that everyone keeps using them with type B lights and a little bit of warmth goes a long way with K40. If you're lucky to find some of the older home movie lights from the 60's, they're usually balanced to 3400K but are generally hard to find.

Roger

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MovieStuff:
    [QUOTE].....If you're lucky to find some of the older home movie lights from the 60's, they're usually balanced to 3400K but are generally hard to find.

Roger
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm not at home, so I can't look up the exact ID of the lights I'm using, but Roger, that's exactly what I'm talking about; movie lights from the 60's. That's what they sell on ebay all the time. There are probably millions of these, sitting in people's closets from when they stopped using their 8mm cameras.

These 650 watt lights I'm referring to are exactly that, and they are in fact a bit bluer than typical lamps, so I'm sure they're just what you're talking about.
    Theyr'e not the R40's styles, which are nice, but last like 4 hours or something.
    I should link to a frame from my movie that was lit with these, you'd see what I mean.

I discovered these by accident:
    My mom & dad had one of these old "Lotta-Lite's" from when my dad shot 8mm home movies of us as kids (we're talking early 60's here!), in a closet, and I decided to try it out.
    It was fantastic!
    So that's when I started hording them.

Matt Pacini

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12