Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK, I understand XL refers to existing light. How does this correlate to shutter opening and what does that mean? How do full daylight and indoor compare when shooting with a camera that isn't XL?

some of the research I've done says that 170 degrees is not good for XL. I'm trying to find a good run and gun camera where I don't need to worry too much about setting up lights.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

cheers
    F

Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

XL usually refers to a category of Super-8 cameras that were designed to operate in low light. They usually have 220 degree shutters and more light efficient optics, and usually have "XL" in their model designation somewhere as well.

The shutter on a motion picture camera is a spinning disc in front of the camera aperture, and the shutter angle is the angle of this disc that's missing to allow light onto the film. What the wider shutter angle means is that during each cycle of the shutter (one rotation per frame) the film will receive more time exposed to light and therefore get more exposure.

Daylight is much brighter than indoor lighting. If you use a low speed film like Kodachrome 40 you will have no trouble getting a decent exposure on even a cloudy gray day, but bring that same film indoors and you'll be amazed the Watts you need to pour on to get the same exposure. An XL camera gives you enough extra light on the film that with a higher speed film you may very well get away with regular room lighting, whereas with a non XL you will likely need to add lighting. (Some XL cameras were supposed to give good images even by candle light when using 160 ASA film.)

There's a school of thought that a narrower angle of exposure will give sharper images, especially where the subject is moving quickly. Generally I've found the difference not to be a problem.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

some of the research I've done says that 170 degrees is not good for XL. I'm trying to find a good run and gun camera where I don't need to worry too much about setting up lights.

How much XL do you need?The trouble with XL camera is,they aren't too many with a whole lot of nice extras.I have a Bauer that's XL it's got a few,but your higher end super 8's like the Canon 1014 and Nikon R 10 (two of my personal favorites are 170 degrees).
    Canon used to run an ad on the old Super 8 Filmaker magazine about "The truth about XL cameras" where they hyped the 1014 and 814 as being non XL cameras capable of available light filming.I've shot with the Canon 1014 in existing light situations with Ektachrome film and been very pleased.These cameras have very fast lenses though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So (if I understand this right), as far as XL or non-XL cameras go, if you're shooting the right film outside/run and gun then it shouldn't matter what type of camera you have...is that somewhat correct?

That is correct.I had a Kodak XL55 as my first camera back in 1973.I used to carry Kodachrome for outdoor stuff and Ektachrome for indoor when I needed the speed.They don't make Ektachrome 160 anymore and the recent Ektachrome VNF 7240 is going the way of the buffalo soon as well.For low light stuff you may have to shoot either negative or black and white Tri X.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info. It is very helpful.

So (if I understand this right), as far as XL or non-XL cameras go, if you're shooting the right film outside/run and gun then it shouldn't matter what type of camera you have...is that somewhat correct?

I'm trying to find a good run and gun camera that will give me (total newbie) good flexibility with my shots until I understand film a little better.

thanks for all the help