Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] I'm not making sci-fi ...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

alright, whatever your genra- OK .....refering to "MI"
    Do you think that is art?
    If not, then what should by products of creativity be called....
    -just curious

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 13, 2004 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Spunkey1pestic ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hmmm....
    Chance you ve got me thinking now.
    You may have half convinced me.
    I think the difference might be
    Good Art
    and
    Bad (or indifferent) Art.
    Film, books, music, paintings, no matter who they are by can all fall under this category.

Im making a film, but Im the last person to say I was producing 'art' - some of it might (I hope) be artful, but its not art. (Zombie movies anyone...?)

A friend of mine is an art lecturer and critic (at the Tate too ;-) ) and has seen some of the shit Ive made (props and the like) we had a breif conversation where he quickly described what Ive made as 'Craftwork' - and I agree with him.
    Maybe 'Art' is too lofty a term to use....maybe it really doesnt matter....
    But I tend to find *very* few films get me lost in them - in an almost mystical way - and if they do, its always in discussing them afterwards, not during. And very few films I would watch twice. (Mullholland Drive being an exception - I like David Lynch movies - precisley because of this..)

yadda yadda yadda

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 13, 2004 11:05 AM: Message edited by: eidde ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Zombie movies are art!
    - "Night of the living dead" -

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MI has been the bastard love child that has engulfed the last four years of my life, who is finally beginining to mature and bugger off into the real world. A love hate relationship which will eternally damm me.

Deadlights was an easy one, it was my first short, a bit camp, suffers a bit on the olde acting front, but i acheived all i wanted from it and i love it as my first... It now sits in the internet archive minding its own business, and i dont even have to worry sending it a xmas card.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not knockign anyone;s creativity or vision. My argument is simple that the end film is not art. Filmmaking is however an art as mentioned in the other thread. There is also a lot of design however as well. reason i choses nuns was not as previously reported because of a nun fetish but 1) it acts as a nice contrast to the faustian affair and also visually i like the stark black and white against backgrounds. There is a scene in my film, which is one of my favourites which is the priest of our convent enters a car, where he meets vale who tempts him to sell his soul. This scene would not of worked in a Ford Mondeo, but placing it in a 1930's jaguar outside a gothic location adds real impact. that then dictated a look to the rest of the film to give it a slight 1940's twang to it.

One of the favourite things i like about film is the collaboration side, the puppet theatre built by eddie on this board was built from character sheets and various boozy meets, the exchanging of photographs and just as important eddies own style .

When you bring in people like that and collaborate with them , that also opens up new avenues, from one such boozy meet the entire opening shot changed and morphed. The opening shot in the film was origianlly just a guy with a gun, but after that boozy meet in the auora around the table , it emerged that he would have a motorbike tyre in his hand as well as the gun

http://public.fotki.com/chance1234/m...or_a_tyre.html

why does he have a tyre in his hands ? well you would of had to been around that table and even then im not sure you would have a answer. but it is something that was born from that moment. When people see the film , will anyone stop to look at that tyre ? probably not , will anyone care about that tyre ? probably not, Will anyone have more than a second to look at that tyre. nope because it's in shot for a second then i cut away blink and you miss it.

My business, is the business of illusion. if i can create a illusion that carrys people from A to B then i have done my job as a filmmaker.

I'm proud to have my film be simply called a film no more no less

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 13, 2004 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Chance1234 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I hate to tell you this,but you just sounded like an artist!~~~ haaa!!

And Personally -I think the nuns rock- I caught the contrast and to me that was a junxpostion-
    Just as in Painting- breaking up the space or tone-

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 13, 2004 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Spunkey1pestic ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

&gt;why does he have a tyre in his hands ? well you
    &gt;would of had to been around that table and even
    &gt;then im not sure you would have a answer. but it
    &gt;is something that was born from that moment.
    &gt;When people see the film , will anyone stop to &gt;look at that tyre ? probably not , will anyone
    &gt;care about that tyre ? probably not, Will anyone
    &gt; have more than a second to look at that tyre.
    &gt;nope because it's in shot for a second then i
    &gt;cut away blink and you miss it.

My recollection of this was that it would add a 3D aspect - a bit of curious history to the character - so an audience would ask why, although not be given an answer.

T.S.Eliot once said that what and why you put into a poem isnt important.
    Its what people get out of it thats important.
    Whether he meant half of what gets read into the Wasteland is irrellivant - its just a catalyst for ideas.
    I think this here tyre is the same thing. And Im afraid Rob I think thats part of the process of creating art.

Not that it matters :-)

PS: Probably just look like a continuity error anyway ;-)

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 13, 2004 11:23 AM: Message edited by: eidde ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The only type of artist I'am is of the drinking kind!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

haaaaa!!! Then welcome Jackson Pollock

Pirate? what happen to ambassidor?

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 13, 2004 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Spunkey1pestic ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"My recollection of this was that it would add a 3D aspect - a bit of curious history to the character - so an audience would ask why, although not be given an answer."

Still born from a boozy meet though :-)