Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Why, Father?" My New 1Day Film!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This was a 1 day film i made because i woke up having dreamt about the tsunami and about god. I peiced a script together and shot. I dont mean to offend with this, it isnt meant to be god but more "a higher me" in accordence with what i beleive. Anyway, Take a look and tell me what you think.

The Film is called "Why, Father?"

The Link (30mb) http://www.streamload.com/yianna2/Fi...yFather_Hi.mov

I filmed it in two hours and edited in two hours, it took an hour to write and storyboard.

A smaller 15 mb version is avalaiable from my website Hidden Lotus which is in my Signiture and On my profile.

Tell me what you think?
    Nathaniel Iwaszko.

Inactive Member Tasty Fish Lips's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There was no video - only sound. And I only listened to the first half.

What do I think? Very sappy and sentimental.

In it, I kept hearing the question " Why"? Why? In the case of the tsunami, there was an earthquake - it was a natural chain of events. That's why.

Billions of living organisims die everyday. Everytime you walk and take a step, you are stepping on tiny organisms, killing them.

Death. It happens.

Questioning life and death in such a literal and melodramatic fashion - I guess all filmmakers have ideas for stuff like this when they begin, but it's way too simplistic and makes me laugh more than anything else.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To each his own, although commenting on a film where as you didnt watch the whole thing nor did you watch it in its entirity is very closed minded.

The video trouble is on your side, everybody else has been able to watch it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I asked the Oracle.

Yu - Enthusiasm

Ch?n The Arousing, Thunder
    K'un The Receptive, Earth

The Judgement
    Enthusiasm. It furthers one to install helpers and to set armies marching.

The Image
    Thunder comes resounding out of the earth:
    The image of Enthusiasm.
    Thus the ancient kings made music
    In order to honor merit,
    And offered it with splendor
    To the Supreme Deity,
    Inviting their ancestors to be present.

As to the movie itself, the technique leaves a lot to be desired IMO. But that's what practice is for ...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nathaniel,
    Ok- Here are My positives:
    I dug it [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    your heart's in the right place.
    I think there is a place for This work,
    and I can hear philosophy/religion professors everywhere already applauding the concept,
    your effort to rasie public awareness, and your attempt to answer "Why God, does Bad things happen to good people"... I liked that God's voice was the same as your leads/that was cool.

As a fellow filmmaker
    ...your choice of opening shot with the TV attena's coming out both sides of your Lead's head- Uhm..that wasn't so cool, killed the serious tone for me- The run time was to Long for me-Other than that...I thought for a day project you did great!

But on a personal Note......Your Journal entry stating "Of course as soon as Japan gave generously, America gave almost as much as well, but that doesn't count in my eyes, there scum." [img]eek.gif[/img] ...I find that statement a little judgemental for one who is boasting to be a student of Enlightenment... So I'm sorry you think I'm scum...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK....Where to start??

I will say that whilst your intentions are good the product was crap. It was cheesey, overly sentimental and just plan bad.

Xmas Leftovers is bad and cheesey with the same low production values but it wasn't meant to be anymore than just that.

You made a heart felt attempt to share your deep feelings with the world and did it in a cheap, sappy and with extreme sentimentality.

Please don't make something in haste and in the heat of the moment when intentions however good they may be will lead you to shit.

I look forward to seeing what you do in the future.

Good Luck

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 03, 2005 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Nigel ]</font>

Inactive Member untamed_aggression's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I applaud the concept, but this kind of thing isn't really my bag. Baby.

But well done, it's nicely put together.

Xmas Leftovers is bad and cheesey with the same low production values but it wasn't meant to be anymore than just that.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thank you [img]tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 03, 2005 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Untamed Aggression ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't really see this as a film, it's more like a TV appeal video, only missing a phone number to dial and donate at the end.

God telling you to dig deep into your pocket to help people, whoa!

I don't find you're film offensive, I just see it as a failed attempt to make the viewer think more about human suffering...

... believe me, seeing the devastation in South East Asia at the moment is already enough to do that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I asked the Oracle.
    Yu - Enthusiasm
    Ch?n The Arousing, Thunder
    K'un The Receptive, Earth
    The Judgement
    Enthusiasm. It furthers one to install helpers and to set armies marching.
    The Image
    Thunder comes resounding out of the earth:
    The image of Enthusiasm.
    Thus the ancient kings made music
    In order to honor merit,
    And offered it with splendor
    To the Supreme Deity,
    Inviting their ancestors to be present.
    As to the movie itself, the technique leaves a lot to be desired IMO. But that's what practice is for ...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have no idea what you?re talking about sorry.

Nathaniel,
    Ok- Here are My positives:
    I dug it ,
    your heart's in the right place.
    I think there is a place for This work,
    and I can hear philosophy/religion professors everywhere already applauding the concept,
    your effort to rasie public awareness, and your attempt to answer "Why God, does Bad things happen to good people"... I liked that God's voice was the same as your leads/that was cool.
    As a fellow filmmaker
    ...your choice of opening shot with the TV attena's coming out both sides of your Lead's head- Uhm..that wasn't so cool, killed the serious tone for me- The run time was to Long for me-Other than that...I thought for a day project you did great!
    But on a personal Note......Your Journal entry stating "Of course as soon as Japan gave generously, America gave almost as much as well, but that doesn't count in my eyes, there scum." ...I find that statement a little judgemental for one who is boasting to be a student of Enlightenment... So I'm sorry you think I'm scum...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you. , I laughed at the Antenna thing, I had no idea, I have watched it a few times since I made it and still didn?t even see it, It did make me laugh quite a bit when I saw it. I?m not very smart you see.

I am sorry I offended you wuth the comment against Americans, I do not think the people of America are ?Scum? at all, and all of them are beautiful unique individuals just as they are anywhere else on our planet. I think, personally, that the government in place leaves a lot to be desired In my Honest Opinion. But I guess, that is what practice is for.

It was cheesey, overly sentimental and just plan[e] bad.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It?s funny how I keep bringing my films here, I always get the same response but from every other place I post I get a good response, this is the only place I get put down to that extent, and it happened last time too. All I can say is I am sorry you didn?t enjoy my work and I will try harder.

I just see it as a failed attempt to make the viewer think more about human suffering
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually it wasn?t so much about human suffering, I tried to focus more on how to resolve suffering, the film is why, but its more of an answer, to start helping out more etc. Like I said, I will try harder.

I applaud the concept, but this kind of thing isn't really my bag. Baby.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you, Now that I understand, Some people just do not like this kind of thing.

All in all thank you for the response, For those who liked it thank you, for those who did not, I am sorry.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actually it wasn?t so much about human suffering, I tried to focus more on how to resolve suffering, the film is why, but its more of an answer, to start helping out more etc. Like I said, I will try harder.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you may have missed my point here. What I think is that no matter how hard you try you will never make people focus on how to resolve suffering more than them actually seeing it for themselves (albeit 2nd hand ie. TV News)

Don't you think that the people around the world have started helping out more? And they did that without you telling them too...

Good on you for your intent, but people don't need preachers, and that's what you're dangerously close to here.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast