Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting a short... With all of you?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i cant commit, but if free i would like to raise my hand for the #DOP role

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I guess we need a script that we can all agree on first. That's prolly the best starting point.

Oh yeah, and I wanna direct [img]wink.gif[/img]

--------------------------

Back to the drawing board.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 08, 2005 09:56 AM: Message edited by: jb. ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We all get to direct a scene. So we need enough "directors" for scenes worth for a short. WE bring all our equipment and DECIDE a main camera which we will use. (CAM1). That way everyone still brings one and we get to say "ooh" at yours & everyone elses camera, tho we don't initially use them. (Though we then still cover every angle imaginable! AND WITHA DOLLY!!! sic) And "Ha" at mine, cos its shit.

So far we have 3 plus 1 maybe on weekends. Plus 2 back-up online if needed. For chat. [img]tongue.gif[/img] 3 scenes gives us a good 2 minutes. Weekends, 40 seconds?

A fifteen minute short would be nice [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Get scripts on the go. Put them up online. Let them develop..?

Oxford is not ze final location. LOL someone base a script somewhere easy like London. I can probably find accomodations. Or you can, if you have contacts. Give me a little while on that.

Or Dundee. But thats not so easy to get too. So maybe Oxford!

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 08, 2005 07:17 PM: Message edited by: m0d ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1) Location: London (assuming that most people live in and around London)

2) Kit: mine. DigiBeta Sony DVW700WSP 42xx with 19x Canon 16:9 lens. If anyone can top that I am happy to go along. Mic is a shotgun Sennheiser K6 (I believe) with windshield. Can be replaced if required. Also have a dolly and jib that can carry that camera.

If required I can edit the stuff together on my offline Avid (Media Illusion) but again am happy to let someone else handle the editing. Can also offer basic CGI in Softimage?3D.

3) DOP: Chance1234. I can bring two Bowen Esprit 500 for additional lightning requirements.

4) Director: jb. First come, first serve.

5) Script: get a decent script off talentcircle.co.uk - they have new scripts up there each hour so we don't have to come up with something.

Alternatively, I have a short drama script (about eight minutes) dealing with homelessness and is easy to shoot.

Comments / suggestions?

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ February 09, 2005 05:07 AM: Message edited by: assyrix ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ February 09, 2005 05:08 AM: Message edited by: assyrix ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 09, 2005 05:08 AM: Message edited by: assyrix ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool.

I think we'd be hard pushed to beat Assyrix's kit on this one. Unless anyone has an HD camera [img]wink.gif[/img]

Coupla quetsions.

Do we have a sound mixer? I guess for simplicities sake it's going to be easier to record staight onto the tape but we'll need something to balance the levels. Also a DAT/MiniDisc/HDD Capture device will be massively useful for buzz tracks etc.

For my mind, I honestly think London or just outside would be easier. I can put someone up for a few nights/as long as it takes on my super-comfy inflatable bed in the front room (don't worry guys, I have a nice flat in central London [img]wink.gif[/img] ). But I'd be more than happy to travel to Oxford if anyone knows a cheap B&B.

Script wise: Does anyone have an idea about tone? Drama, comedy, action-adventure, docu-drama? My preference would be for a comedy/drama. Also, I was thinking about this yesterday, to keep costs to a bare minimum, we could go for a "One Room" (or at least severley limited locations) piece. I'm thinking of basically a stage play style piece that we tape.

As to the length: Well it depends on how long we shoot for. One weekend of 15 hour days might just be enough for 10 minutes if we really cane it. I'd be willing to use a week of holiday from work to work continuously though. Hell, we could 60 or even 90 minutes in a week if we kept the setups really simple. Plus we'd get like a million bonus points for shooting a zero budget feature in 9 days (Sat-following Sunday)! Of course, we'll lose them all if our actors suck!

I'm thinking since we seem to have a hell of a lot of cameras available here, to go TV style. Light the set once, shoot all the masters multi-camera and only have to relight (quickly) for the close ups and cut-aways. (By the way, if we really do go multi camera we'll need the worlds best script supervisor / continuity guy/gal -- Chance, do you know if Samu is still in the game? He was awesome!)

As far as kit goes, I'm pretty limited. I can provide some post-production stuff (3D Studio Max & Softimage). I don't own any shooting kit but should be able to stump up some additional lights and stands if pushed. Of course, the real strength that we'll have will be to nail the pre-production. If we can get however many scenes we decide on locked down, blocked, and storyboarded before we go near the set then we should be able to move ninja-fast through the setups.

Prolly the best way to proceed on the script side is for us to create a topic on the forum and hammer out some ideas. Also, has anyone used Celtx? It's pretty much designed for on-line script collaberations. Lemme know what everyone thinks.

Well, I'm pretty much rambling here now so I'll turn it over to all a y'all.

Chance gets my vote for D.O.P if he's available by the way. Worked with him a few times before and, like me, is a master of tearing through the setups while maintaining a good style.

-------------------------

Somebody stop me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll knock a script together and post it on my site.

I want to edit [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds good. I'm thinking we should go for a "One Room" sorta "12 Angry Men" style thing. Any ideas?

-------------------------

You know, this might actually work!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

:BUMP:

Is this still happening?

---------------------

Dudes?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I couldn't commit to July... BUT when the time comes, if anyone needs any help with Post-Production (After Effects), I'd be happy to help out!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When the script is ready I'm willing to produce story boards. I'm leaving my job in 3 weeks (hopefully) so I should have plenty of spare time to work on getting them done before any scheduled shooting.

IMO the project must be spearheaded by one person otherwise it will spiral out of control. Too many cooks and all that. Being the case I think the script should be developed by several people with the Director have final say on what stays and goes. A scenario like Four Rooms would allow for this. Each writer could come up with, say 5 minutes or less of script based on one concept and then the director can pick and choose which he thinks suits best.

This is like the format used on tv comedies (like the Simpsons and Friends) where they have 12 or so writers coming up with one story.

Just an idea. Either way, I'm good for storyboards if needed and will even add a bit of script if necessary. You can see some basic story boards at www.vertino.net.