Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Arrr! Ive a piracy question for ya maties.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Watching some freinds indulging on a pirate dvd of sin city the other day really got me thinking.And from this session of thinking came the question that i pose to you now:

What would you do if ,after making your first big budget film (with stars , advertising and a big distributour behind it and everything) you went to a freinds house(who you would rely on for support) to find him / her /them watching a pirate DVD of your movie on its opening day?

Would you be ok with it ? Would you bust some heads? would you track down the guy who sold it to them and give a stern talking to? What would you do ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess it would depend on what was riding on the film, (probably where the funding came from)
    but generally I dont think Id be too arsed, be pleased that it was actually being seen, and someone thought it worthwhile risking a prison sentence to copy it.

I think by the time you are dealing with 'stars' studios, distributors and advertising, you would be fairly well removed from the business end of things, so this would be someone elses problem.

I think if Id already got a flat rate for the job Id done, whatever it was, I wouldnt be too bothered about the piracy.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 31, 2005 06:23 AM: Message edited by: eddie123456789 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would beat the crap out of them. I mean, how would they like it if I walked into the place where they worked and just helped myself to some stuff.

----------------------

Wiffle Bat Justice.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 31, 2005 06:25 AM: Message edited by: jb. ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Mr DJD:
    ... you went to a freinds house(who you would rely on for support) to find him / her /them watching a pirate DVD of your movie on its opening day...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If the person was really your friend, why didn't you invite him/her to your big hollywood premiere? It was an all-star-gala event, and you left your friend all alone to wallow in despair. You couldn't even hook your friend up with a free copy of the movie as a way of saying "thanks" for all the support he/she gave you over the years when you were stuggling to make it in the industry. Shame on you for forgetting the "little people"! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Inactive Member Yammeryammeryammer's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think there is entirely too much money flying around this industry. You could feed Ethipoia for a year with the money it cost to make Spider-man 2. I liked that movie, but how can you morally justify that use of that substantial amount of money? I don't download movies because that isn't the way I like to watch them. I am not against it, and am moving more in the support of the pirates recently because the ad campaign for the 'don't download' side is pissing me off. "You download a movie, or you chop up six kids and put them under your front porch... IT'S THE SAME THING" type of ads annoy me, and I think kind of reflect a lack of foresight. They could have done the Apple approach and embraced downloading, but instead they didn't. The MPAA is starting to realize that the smartest people aren't working for them, and the technology is kind of out of their hands by now.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

100% with sn-films.

Yammery, Yammery oh yammery

11.8 million =Population of Ethiopia

14 Million = number of people winvolved in the film industry globally.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

BUT!!!! if it was your film and your mates wouldnt you either.. A) have already given them a copy of the film yourself, or B) Taken them to a private screening of your film?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

But what percentage of the people of the apparent 14 million are actually in the upper crusts of the industry? Or even have it as their main career? The wealth isn't very evenly distributed in this industry, which is why I think it is stupid that they take teamsters and stunt men and put them in commercials, because the unions aren't paying for the commercials, the producers and studios are the ones who see it as affecting them which is why they are promoting awareness. I would be glad if a friend of mine downloaded a movie I made. Because that means someone pirated it, or at least deemed it worth watching.
    It is kind of a question of why you are making movies. I am making them so people can watch them. If you are worried about people watching them without paying, you may lean more towards being in it for the money.

Inactive Member TJ_the_director's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd call my attorney and have him send off a nasty letter.

Yammery, you're forgeting that most films LOSE money! Its the massive amount of cash from the Spidermans et al that keep people in the movie business employed until the next blockbuster refills the studio coffers.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am not forgetting that most films lose money. I am in fact applauding that. We shouldn't be evaluating films in an economic sense, and I think that as the technology grows, films become less costly, and as such should become less associated with business endevours, like other art forms.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast