Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Arrr! Ive a piracy question for ya maties.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just because I have a Xerox machine doesn't mean I am copying books.

I don't even own a TV and only own one DVD of a major film. It is my understanding--Correct me if I am wrong. That in Sweden and Norway when you a buy a DVD you are protected in making copies of it.

The reason I am tacitly supporting copying is because I think it will allow people to see that 15-20USD is to much for a DVD. Which in turn will force the studios to lower their price to a point whereby people won't copy them. The iTune-ization of DVDs.

Hollywod has force the US government to pass federal laws that make it a Federal crime to bring a camcorder into a theatre!!! Now, some two-bit hack will get thrown into a prison on the US taxpayers money all because he was making some nasty ass copy off the screen!!!

Hollywood will sit behind the guise of "Intellectual Property" but that isn't what it is about. It is about $$$ and ???--Pure and simple. They want the most cash coming into their greedy sweaty hands. So, if they can say that they are trying to protect artists and you buy it well that is your fault. Take a look that the Disney NDA or a distribution agreement for any studio. The filmmakers will walk away with next to nothing while Roy Disney and the Weinstein Boys laugh all the way to the bank.

The ?1000 a day for a carpenter is nothing compared to what the studio stands to make.

I will could write more but I fear that this is getting to long.

Good Luck

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by miker:
    My Keanu post is supposed to question just what exactly the movie industry is whining about.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They're "whining" about people stealing their stuff. It is illegal you know. Why should they enjoy less protection under the law than anyone else?

But putting Keanu in a film guarantees a certain level of box office returns. Screw the DVD sales they'll already have made a fortune and paid for Keanu several times over if they've counted their beans correctly.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why do they release DVD's at all then?

Does piracy erode cinema going figures? If the Sith 'box office records' are anything to go by, whilst a workprint is all over the place for 'free', then that argument doesn't stand either.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're assuming that just because people <u>can</u> break the law, that they will. The people who went to see the Sith movie are probably fans. They have no interest in stealing from the people who make films they enjoy. Not everyone is an oppourtunist criminal, you know?

Does piracy affect the small guy? Which small guy would that be? People like us? I have a day job, I'm not starving. If people copied my work it would be recognition that I'd made something worth copying. Word of mouth would then no doubt make it easier to secure decent funding for my next film. Which would have Keanu in it. So where exactly do I lose out?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You loose out when the 'net gets so heavily policed and regulated that it's unusable. You loose out when more and more encryption software is employed that prevents legitimate users from doing legal things. You loose out when more laws are enacted that erode your civil liberties.

All of which is going to happen more and more because of a few organised criminals.

Theft <u>does</u> affect the small guy.

If you don't believe anything I just wrote there, read this.

I'm not advocating piracy either, it is wrong in the terms of a conservative social fabric.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What is "a conservative social fabric"?

If DVDs suddenly become uncopyable I'm sure libraries will see a huge increase in people joining. Where you can borrow films for free, even today ... will that suddenly become illegal and the same as stealing?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No because libraries pay a comission every time a book or tape is lent out to someone. That's why they cost a lot to fund.

Chance: That kind of proves my point, doesn't it?

---------------------

Fuck thieves.

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ June 02, 2005 11:49 AM: Message edited by: jb. ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 02, 2005 11:50 AM: Message edited by: jb. ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nigel: I think that ?50,000 is too much to pay for a really nice BMW but I'm not going to steal one from a dealership to encourage them to lower the price.

----------------------

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Originally posted by Mr DJD:
    What would you do if ,after making your first big budget film (with stars , advertising and a big distributour behind it and everything) you went to a freinds house(who you would rely on for support) to find him / her /them watching a pirate DVD of your movie on its opening day?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What would you do if you found him/her/them counting the money they had stolen from the till at the box office. Same thing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nigel & Miker,

You are both completely missing the point. It is NOT about profit or globalisation or counterfeiting or any of that shit. It is about THEFT. Plain and mother fucking simple. If you STEAL a film, either by downloading it or sneaking into the cinema or whatever, you are taking someone's propery unlawfully.

I don't give a shit if you THINK you are Robin Hood, you aren't. You're a petty criminal. You aren't doing any good in the world. You wanna save the planet? Then steal food and give it to hungry people. All you are doing by taking a film is feeding your own selfish, bloated desires. You people make me fucking sick.

----------------------

Idiots.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So you'd ensure your friend got fined and was crippled financially for life?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

JB

You've been brainwashed by capitalism

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 02, 2005 06:57 PM: Message edited by: MatJimMood ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Look JB....

I love capitalism. I have voted Libertarian since I was 18 www.lp.org

I however don't think that you can call 1s and 0s property. Just like you can't own words. In some countries making a copy of 1s and 0s is legal it should be everywhere. It is not about theft--I think that if you steal from someone then there should be a punishment. If you go up to a guy and beat him up and take his DVD you have committed theft. If you take the DVD you own and copy it then you haven't.

I can give you a book to read--Is that theft?? You didn't buy the book. Why can't I give you a copy of the book?? Why can't I give you my DVD?? Or a copy of the DVD??

This isn't about copyrights for Hollywood it is about $$$ and ???--That simple. I love $$$$ I love them more than some people. I also love freedom and part of freedom is to take the property that you own and use it as you see fit. If I own a book I can burn it. If I own a DVD I can chop it up. If I own a book I can sit down and write it out by hand. If I own a DVD then I should be able to copy it.

It's all about 1s and 0s neither of which can be copyright protected.

Good Luck
    PS-- 11110010100011100001100000000000111101101010101111 00000011110000010100101010011100000011110100110101 00001111111111111110001010101001000001010101010100 0000101010010100000101

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nigel -
    I know that you ran for political office in Bozeman, Montana as a libertarian candidate. I also know that you ran alongside Stan Jones, who turned blue from drinking colloidal silver everyday, believing it to fend off illness and create a robust immune system. I googled your name a few months ago in the hope of finding out about some of your previous work (I hope you don?t mind).

I too am a libertarian. We are terribly underrepresented in this country. Homosexuality, for example, was illegal in Ireland as recently as 1993 (although those laws had not been enforced for years prior to that). When voting, I have to carefully weigh the issues (Do I vote for a fiscal and social conservative or an economically left wing social libertarian? I can only have one or the other).

On the other hand, I totally disagree with you when you say that a person can not own a digital representation of a movie. To take your argument to its logical extreme, do you believe a person should be able to copy a $100 bill as they see fit? It is, after all, their property. Whatever about making one or two copies of a DVD for friends, do you believe a person should be able to exploit an artist?s work for commercial gain on a massive scale, without paying the artist a penny? It seems silly to only consider property exclusively as something a person owns that physically exists. My bank balance is just a binary number on some computer, but it is definitely my property. You can?t own individual words, or individual 1s or 0s ? but you can own the syntax, and that is what?s important. I don't care much for AOL Time Warner and the like myself, but I believe, in principle, that an artists intellectual property should be protected by law.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Bush administration is moving to crack down on trade in counterfeit and pirated goods, which global authorities say now accounts for as much as 7 percent of world trade.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So what you're really objecting to is profiteering illegally?

Well guess what, in the UK you can do something about it. Call 0845 6034567. Quit whining and report it. I guess the film industry hasn't worked the number out yet, even though "they" are behind the website.
    http://www.piracyisacrime.com/

Then, once all the criminals are behind bars we can all live happily ever after.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast