Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I see a lot of composers trying to emulate the hollywood sound.

I'm going to start composing for a film in the next few months, as directors what is it that you guys like to hear in a score.. and any major no-nos?

Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For me the biggest no-no is making it "too big." When I hear a big orchestral style score over some grainy dv nonsense I stop watching. Its not about reigning in the composer its about creating something that fits and improves the film.

Im a big fan of low key. Id rather have too little than too much, but this is purely a taste issue. I try to discuss in detail what kind of mood I'm looking for...almost trying to get away from "music" or "score" per se and more towards an overall sound design. My films, being very strange, suit this approach better than a talking heads sitcom type thing though and it really is horses for courses.

To use another anology. When we made our first shorts at film school, we were offered these ultra slick title sequences by graphic design upstairs. Most people jumped at the chance, but the problem was: an audience would see these cool sequences and then the first shot of the film would appear, you could almost hear the groans. You've built up an expectation of something you can't deliver on. Where as I went with very low key self made titles which while not as cool, I felt set up my film better.