Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

more propaganda above
    as for the out of memory garbage try closing down applications that are not in use or allocating more memory to that application program.or buying more RAM. All platforms have this problem!
    Funny though I've just been manipulating a file in photoshop today that was over 200 mgb without any difficulty
    I do have 384 megs of Ram though
    Color management and moniter callibration are far more sophisticated on a Mac than a PC ,not that important for video but in design and photography very important.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

and go to any comms room and how many mac based servers will you see? um, zero.

what does this say to you?

PC's, AS/400's, and Sun boxes have the grunt to do backbone back-end work. No wonder they all look ugly, in a WOPR sort of way ;-)

Macs, granted, excel at front-end fluffy CMYK 'turn up the pink darling' arena.

iMacs will look shit in 5 years time, fashion victims. PC's will still look, well, kinda beige and ugly, unless you have an IBM Netfinity (which incidently is server class but will still cost less than a Mac)

As I have said, Macs are good no-brainer turnkey solutions, but if you really want to get under the hood (and a lot of people don't) then jump in and get a PC.

Anyway, who actually gives a fuck? I have a film to edit...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

o.k. I-macs will look dated in 5 years but at least they'll still be working!!!
    Have you seen the new powerbook (Titanium with a wide screen moniter)
    do yourself a favour and go to http://www.apple.com/
    and have a look
    if you're man enough

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a point about not being able to naviagate with a Mac mouse alone. If you hold down the button on most applications you get the second function (right-click) commands up. And Miker. Comms room server? What the hell are you talking about? If this discussion was actually about a comms room then maybe you'd have made some sort of point, but it's not. And iMacs being turnkey? Is that a bad thing? Any computer that can be operated in the shortest time possible sounds good to me. My laptop (a Toshiba PC with Win98) is complete crap compared to how my iMac does things. I never realised how much the laptop sucked until I got my Mac. Obviously it's a slower processor, but just functionality and practicallity is so much better on the Mac. Yeah and the 'Out of Memory'. Well that's never happend to me, and just today I was working on a video project that was just over 3gbs and it was running fine. This was with the standard 128mb RAM on my DV SE. AND out of date in five years? Since when has a grey box ever been in fashion? And as MacHead said, the Titanium Powerbooks... good enough to eat! wink Not to mention Apple's 22' flatscreen monitor and the Harmann Kardon speaker system. So in conclusion: PC'S SUCK!

Regards
    Kevaino
    ReelRaine Productions

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One simple word...

AMIGA.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Keviano
    your a true friend (there are too many myths about the Mac platform most of them have been listed above by PC-heads,next they'll be saying that we can't open up Windows files such as Word)
    I don't think people relise how fast you can work on a Mac and that's nothing to with the proccessor just like you say its functionality, the position of the Apple key
    is ergonomic the control stip etc.
    I still want to know what PC usera do with their other hand though?
    Perhaps someone can enlighten me
    (Mad) Machead

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What we're doing with our other hand is flicking through the choice of thousands of computer programs that are released for the p.c.(most of which can be leeched free) hee hee !
    Still it must be kinda cute to carry your whole mac software collection in a very small box.
    (are we all forgetting that apple nearly went belly up quite a few times. If that happens you may well have the equivalent of a betamax video sitting on your desk)

marti

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It must be great flicking through all that software and wondering if it will actually work.You guys (techies) must get really excited after all if it doesn't work you can spend weeks trying to work out why!

hee hee !! another achilles heel for PC users

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The whole "out of memory" bit on Mac systems is due to the awfully cruddy Mac OS. (Max OS X will fix this, though. It's based on the FreeBSD core and will finally have real multitasking and memory management.)

The hardware (G4 processor) is stupendously fast, however, and the DV codecs have been optimized for the G4's vector engine and blow PCs out of the water performance-wise.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not when you get paid ?30ph

And my point about comms rooms was to try and illustrate how PC architecture is used as the backbone to run international organisations, implying that they can be made reliable ... but I should have known that a spoon-fed Mac user wouldn't be able to read between the lines for himself ;-)

Anyway, how does it feel knowing that satan himself, Bill Gates, has a stake in the company?

Like I said, *who* gives a fuck when you have a movie to edit you use your preferred tools. I prefer the PC, you prefer the iMac.

And *your* point is? What, you want to continue this peurile thread?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast