Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am currently writing the script for my first short film which I hope to shoot in a couple of months. I am borrowing a digital camcorder from a mate but it is too incovenient to be round his house all the time to edit it, I was thinking about buying a new pc anyway but I need some advice.

Which is better, if any for editing movies a PC or I-Mac?

I am looking at spending about a grand and at that price most PC's are about 800-1000 mhz but the i-mac's are about 400 -450mhz is there a difference in the way the speed of the processer is measured between the two? ie Would a 500 mhz I-MAC be roughly the same as a 900 mhz PC or is it as straightforward as it seems?

The I-macs are billed as having two firewire ports but nothing is mentioned with the pc's does that mean that I would still have to buy a capture card for an i-mac or are they built in?

What is the best software for editing on an i-mac I know that premiere is available or is there a better one specifically for the i-mac.

I am quite confused and hope that the questions sort of made sense, any answers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would go with the iMacs hands down for their ease of use and power. You'll find far too many problems with a PC. How about a G4 Mac? Maybe too expensive?

There is a different processor on a PC and Mac so don't compare the two like that.

And yes the iMacs are video ready.

Phil

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd definatley second Phil's advice about going for the iMac. I've used PC's and Macs and the Mac is just so much better. As for Mac software, go for Final Cut Pro, which i consider (as do many) to be better than Adobe Premier. The FireWire ports mean you don't need another capture card. My iMac is a 500mzh DV SE with a 30gb hard drive (good enough for most small video projects) and 128mb RAM. Cost around ?1000. I've never had any problems with editing on it either. Can't go wrong with an Apple..!

Regards
    Keviano
    ReelRaine Productions

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

definately go for a Mac I have a mate who has a similar spec. PC to my Mac and his PC can't handle large files at all (crashes)My Mac never crashes.
    Be warned there are alot of PC nutters who will try and change your mind don't listen to them.
    Also check out the Which report on PC's, Mac's came out top in all but one area
    PC's are cheaper but you spend a longtime on the help lines getting the thing to work

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am a "PC nutter," but I have mostly built my machine from the bones...

Anyways, go for the MAC... simplist choice.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yep, Mac is definitely the idiots choice.

You need to get techie with a PC.

Mac is better turnkey solution.

PC is generally more expandable/upgradable ... but again requires techie-ness

A PC will be 'powerful' in comparison to other systems for around 2 years.

Mac users still think SE's kick ass.

PC's are functional (or can be made so)

Mac's are fluffy and gay

Apple says think different

PC users think for themselves

Oh shit, I've just turned into a PC nutter...

Buy a Mac you dimwit, don't you dare get a PC because you might have to have a brain.

I hope you don't expect your Mac to make you an instant creative genious, that still requires old fashioned *talent* whether you are Mac or PC

Oh, and the PC has MAME which means you can play arcade games from the original ROMs, so you are actually playing the actual game, cool. Minus the cabinet and candy floss of course.

;-)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Go for the iMac as I assume you're more interested in editing movies than sorting out driver conflicts.

The Mac has MAME, too.

P.S.: I don't use a Mac for editing, only an SGI O2 smile

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow Miker, someone who actually preferes PC's to Macs... there's something you don't see everyday...

I forgot to mention: PC's are ugly and iMacs are all pretty and colourful. Not essential to video editing of course but they look nicer on your desk than a grey hunk of junk.

Though one point; if you're going for analogue editing you'll need some form of conversion to use analogue footage with an iMac, as they're all digital.

"I think, therefore iMac."
    Keviano
    ReelRaine Productions

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

has anyone noticed that all the major problems posted on this forum are on the PC platform. I was begining to think I was the only Mac-user on this forum.

p.s. hopefully that'll wind-up those PC-heads out there!!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have both PC and a Power G4Mac. I find that most of my time spent editting is with Mac. You can daisy chain your external hard drives with a Mac without all the headaches you get with a PC. By the way, I don't know why, but PC seems to work better when recording audio with a midi.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast