Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Any Major studio using Video to shot Movies?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Now now, children.

From an objective point of view (at the moment I use Hi8 Video eek ), it seems that some of you are arguing "The glass is half full" against the others "The glass is half empty". What you should be saying is "Why have I got Sparkling Perry, when I should have Bollinger?"

Lita (Brenda), you say format counts, but then you say that it comes down to talent. Hello? Change your Champagne!
    If you can tell me that you'd rather your films look like The Wizard of Oz than The Matrix, then fine, go back to pre-war cinematics, but the advances in technology can't be ignored. If the megacorps decide that digital is cheaper to distribute than celluloid, then celluloid has had its day, except for small die-hard users - take vinyl! You also say we don't know how big your film will be, but to be honest, neither do you! Especially if you haven't even selected a script! Heaven's Gate didn't make itself!
    Now I know you'll try to attack me personally because my opinion doesn't match yours, but isn't that being childish?

N., are you saying there's something wrong with 70mm? rolleyes
    Jus' joshin' wit' ya.

Edenrepublik, chill.

I am a director. I have directed a couple of shorts on video, which I decided to do before I started on DV OR celluloid. It's the cheapest way I can think of of learning my craft. From a director's point of view, 70mm, VHS, 35mm, miniDV, 16mm, Hi8, 8mm, DV, flipbooks, who cares! At the end of the day its a producer's issue. It's the directors job to get the best out of the cast and crew, not to say, "Well I'm not using DV and that's that". A producer has to worry about format to sell it to the right (snobby) studio demographic.
    Anyway, I'm off to draw cave paintings.

Cheers,

Paul

PS I hope you don't write your own script, Bren. It's hard enough to understand your posts wink

PPS I really like that, "Change your Champagne!" I feel a feature coming on cool

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Curtin my son you seem be the one attacking so I guess there the child in all of us.Yes I am writing my own script.I have write plays before .I do go over them and work out the grammar bugs.I like to add a lot of writer have bad grammar that is why editor,pro- reader have jobs. I did cut my teeth on video,plays. Look my clients want film.You have to look at this as a business also The Theaters want Film. So Heavn gates bomb.Ok no one no that starwars would be a hit that it was,GL did even know that he did even know SW 4,5,6 would be a bigger hit the second time around.BWT Robert R 7,000 movie,K Smith movie soo many movie people just did think would make.Time will tell!!!!Look I work hard to get the money for my Film I had the crap jobs I save for years built a good credit report .No one gave me any thing I work for it All.So I am gonna do it my way.35mm is for me Brenda Diane Smith.Let's say you guys aright I fail"""" SO WHAT I JUST UP AGAIN AND DO IT ALL OVER""""

I made be crazy,bad grammar,insane, but I am doing what I love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I guess that makes me fine!!!!

------------------
    Brenda Diane Smith Filmmaker 35mm 0r bust nothing will stop me!!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

Lita, you scare me.

edenrepublik, you are just a kid with a camera. Just because you live in a town or a city with run down theatres, does not mean anything.

Did you ever notice that 95% of Independent filmmakers shoot on DV (Not including myself) and 95% of Hollywood directors shoot film?

And yet the 'indies' say that in 5 years, everything is going to be digital.

Sure, DV might surpass film in 70 years.
    You guys don't have to worry about the Digital revolution anytime soon.

All films in Hollywood and all films in theatres are shot on film.

George Lucas, to some people, is an independent filmmaker. The studios come to him, he doesn't go to them.

So even if Lucas is experimenting with Digital Video, it doesn't mean anything.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Lita, are you French?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    LitaBren,
    Please enunciate more slowly. eek

I'm not out to attack anyone. OK, I picked out a couple of your more indignant points. For that I apologise. But my main points are the same:

1) Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

2) The difference between a good film and a bad film is not the format.

3) I am inclined to think less of people who's posts are full of spelling mistakes/grammatical errors. This is my failing, but the hostboard doesn't have an editor or proof reader wink

4) Yes, if your preferred distributor wants celluloid, then give it to them. But when they change their mind to use digital, whether it be 5 years or 50, will you still refuse to use it?

5) Technology is not all bad.

6) If you want to make a film, for god's sake, MAKE IT! We could all argue about whether wax discs are better than 8tracks all day, but it won't get anyone anywhere! Get it in the Can/JewelCase!

Cheers

Paul

"Change Your Champagne!"

PS Incidentally, LiBre TaNda, why Are you going on about DV all the time if you don't ever want to use it?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

1) Lita, FUCK YOU. I'm serious. I am a kid with a camera. How the fuck did you start out?

2) Film-video is like electric-acoustic or tube-transistor. Film, electric, and tube have a certain warmness to them. However, video is more versitile. It's easier to distribute to individuals. It depends upon the content of your film. If it's got special effects out the ears, use video. If it's simple, use film. Also, who's your audience? A film fest judge will notice a difference, but Joe C. Moviewatcher wont.

3) Video IS the future. Hell, it may get big within he next ten years. In my town, we've got several 5-10 screen theaters. They were all built in the 60s-early 80s. They're starting to reach their ages. Leaky roofs, bad sound systems, and inability to compete with ultra-plex theaters will close them down within the next 5 years. They'll be paved over infavor of ultra-plexes. When that happens, video will be phasing in and we'll have new, ultra-plex hybrid theaters. Video OR film. After that, video will take over. There will still be film productions, just fewer. Hell, they may even still shoot film, but transfer to video fr distribution.

But then again, I'm just a kid with a camera.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can not go by what might happen 5 yrs to 50 yrs. Right now there Theaters want Film wso do I. I have bad grammar like I have not been told that before will it is my problem to fix. No I am a Usa Jersey Kid!!! Why are you scare of me You want get hurt or made by me so why care if I fail or when. 95 indie filmmaker shoot video will how many or making money, 95 studio filmmaker is shooting film they are making a living .This is a Pro-Company I am puting to gether.I do not have a camera My DP does . I am also adult not a child.Guys you are taking this personal I think Video is great if that is what you want. I was just asking ???? and some how it turn into this.Why care if I bomb or if I Do a Starwars? If i do bomb oh well that is my problem to fix,if I do great hey great!!!! I was not out to knock video I am just a Filmmaker who work hard for every thing I got and doing what I love I love film.

------------------

Inactive Member N. Foster Tyler's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love film too, ya dumb bitch. In fact, I shoot on film. I then edit and distribute on video. Why you ask? Because its quick, cheap & efficient. And I bet I will make a HELL of a lot more money on video sales and rentals than you ever will with your heavy, clunky, scratched-up, ungodly expensive film print playing in one scuzzy little theatre a time, IF you are even lucky enough to get it in there. Your film is probably gonna suck shit anyways, Brenda. We all know that.

I'm telling you, the home video market is the way to go for ultra low-budget filmmakers. In fact, for most, its the only way to make any money from their movies.

-N. Foster Tyler
    ---------------------------------------------
    Film Critic
    Morbid Mortuary www.morbidmortuary.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    NTayor who are punk got to go down to the nasty word your are fool kid with camera.Your just a plain right out load mouth fool because I not Competition with you.I am just doing my thing.Hey you make hit good for you I could care less. So why care if I bite the dush or Break the record.You need the chil pill. No I will be doing the big time you see you don't know the real Brenda Diane Smith like I don't know you and don't want too!!!! I be coming to a Theatre near you .Only a little mind like yours will write like fool.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No offence, but

I wouldn't think that your film will be coming to a screen near any of us in the UK (judging by your English), unless it is a foreign film, where I suggest you leave the subtitles for somebody else.

Brenda, stop getting so irrate, if people piss you off don't bother responding to them. If your persistence on this message board is half as much in your work then I'm sure I will look forward to seeing your work. Just, you take that chill pill too smile

Remember, sometimes it is better to be 'thought' a fool than take your foot out of your mouth and prove it so.

Not saying you are a fool, just stop firing your mouth everywhere, and do what you gotta do.

Respec

Tim

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast