Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How would one go about making a video CD, ie, one that you could put in a CD and play. Yeah yeah yeah, but DVD is too expensive at the moment and I thought it'd be handy to stick a short film on a CD with a menu and stuff. So, anyone know what programs I'd need?

------------------
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking glue.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

start at vcdhelp.com

tmpenc (freeware) and nero 5.5.x do it for me

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What type of software do you have for your CD burner? A surprising number of CD burner programs support VCD's. If your software doesn't support it, go to the company's website and see if they have a patch. One of my burners is almost 3 years old, and I just downloaded a patch for it the other day. I've been using the burner for years, so I'm more comfortable using that than downloading a 3rd party utility.

However, I would still recomend going to the website mentioned above because there's a stack of good information out there that you should read.

------------------
    www.sn-films.com

PiratePete

The main problem with using self-made VCDs as a method of distribution to anyone but yourself is this: While the vast majority of DVD players can play burnt VCDs, many only play VCDs burnt on CD-R, and many only play VCDs burnt on CD-RW. As a result, it's really hit-and-miss handing someone a copy of your movie on VCD. Might work, might not.

For cheap distribution (with quality no worse than VCD), just stick with VHS. Better compatibility. That or get one of those fancy new PowerMac G4s/iMacs with the built-in DVD burners, as DVD players are much more compatible with DVD-R than they are with CD-R.

------------------