Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

films, for me, are telling a story. they are the natural progression of story telling, like a book but they let you put much mroe in there. they are also a way of expressing you view to the world... this is the purpose i make films, although i cannot speak for anyone else here, as i'm not them

------------------

Inactive Member The Baines Hunt Rebel's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well the last few who werent accusing me of masturbating 24 hours a day actually had something to say. movies are about entertainment and story telling, they dont have to be about high art but i dont care for high art so much. i used to be in a band, do stand up comedy and i went to art college so i have seen the difference between art and entertainment and there is one but the latter will get to more people and can make more people think about something, anything, so therefore it is art. i understand the creative urge that i hope most of the people here have but i also understand that when you send something like a film out into the world you have to take responsibility for it.
    i must say though that ther best answers about story telling, that IS the creative urge and thats also why the us is the most recognisbly successful film making making country in the world, except for maybe bollywood but how many of you regulary sit up and watch bollywood movies? anyway im glad some of you had something interesting to say, esp. despin

------------------

Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

I do what I do as a form of artistic expression. I write stories also, paint, write poetry, play music. Developing skills is fun too, something I really get a kick out of.

I could sit around like yourself jerking off all day, but like most people I'd like to do something with my life. Iv'e found something I really enjoy and something I'm good at, and I plan to make a living out of it. It also keeps a consistent flow of women throwing themselves at me, so really I couldn't be happier. biggrin

------------------
    I can't believe I sold my image rights for a pint of Guinness!

[This message has been edited by Generic Skinhead (edited February 19, 2002).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and that, I suppose, is your opinion. It's one thing to suggest that film is entertainment and not art (I'm not making films to entertain people!) but to propose that the US is the most successful film manufacturer because of some inherent creative superiority!!! well that is your opinion but it's not mine.

The US is successful because early on in the history of Cinema it established an iron grip over global distribution and was more visionary in pumping excessive lumps of money into movie production. If you truly think America makes the best films you should get out and see more European and world cinema. There is no doubting , however, that America makes the most popular films.... but seeing as they own the whole movie system anyway it's all a bit rigged isn't it?!

Quite frankly, the way things are at the moment, it looks like America isn't a country at all... it's just an army.

As for those of you who only wish to `entertain` people.... what a wasted life you lead. Perhaps we can carve on your tomb stone `he entertained people`. That, for me, is just one up from accountancy... have you no intrique into what your life is about?!? have you no explorative drive to ask questions about your self and the selves of others. To dumb movie making down so it's just another job with a product that the mass market can consume and fart out the otherside... well you might aswell be flippin burgers. wink

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

...Er...well, I think films are entertainment . If I had to nail it down , I would say that's the point of them. just as the bare bones , like . You can take a film on nuff different levels and have nuff messages to get accross when making them, but in the end people go to the cinema to be entertained.

I never really thought of myself as an entertainer though - I just have a great time making films , and if you find yourself a job you love you never work a day again.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hairbrain you are an idiot. I'm sorry guys but he really is.

You are the kind of pretentious elitist snob that gives film makers a bad name. "One notch up from accoutants", what gives you the right to look down on other poples jobs? You think you're special? You think you matter? You're deadweight.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I couldn't give a monkeys what you think generic... it's just great to see some life stirring in this somewhat dull site. Don't you guys ever argue about anything???

Whether you like it or not life is a mystical gift you've been given, a complex puzzle which begs disentanglement. You can ignore it and go to your football matches, your `entertainment` movies, and your day time tv. Or you can engage with it. Obviously there are times when I love to sit and watch the footie, grab a beer and have a laugh. But I can't help but find myself repelled away from purile entertainment as the source of my own creativity. It just strikes me as a sedative for the masses. It doesn't do anything.

You'll notice that there's actually an inverse snobbery here from the `entertainers` camp. It seems the notion of the film maker as `entertainer` is the current trendy thing. It seems unpretentious, workman-like, and cool. I dare you to ask the french new wave if they just wished to entertain when they made their films. They'd rip your head off. But of course in your eyes, Goddard and Truffaut are `the kind of pretentious elitist snob(s) that gives film makers a bad name`.

Duh! Just different sides of the camp you and me... no need to lose your head over it. It was, afterall, The Baines Hunt Rebel who veered so suddenly from wanting objectivity to posting his personal opinions. My personal opinions differ from his.... that doesn't mean my objectivity differs. chill smile

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I fear you have misunderstood Hairbrain.

I'm not in the "entertainers club." My problems do not lie with your artisitc views on film, but on your assumption that we as film-makers live a more worthwhile life than all other people.

I don't give a damn about being trendy, If you read my original post you'd find out what my motivations are.

Being an abstract, deep or complex director is fine and good, but it does'nt give you the right to look down on other people who choose a different path.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

You know , hairbrain , the Skinhead is right . You do need to pull your head out of your arse. You are the most condescending bitch on this forum .

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Accountancy and flippin burgers are not jobs I aim to do with my life. In fact most burger flippers don't really want to be flippin burgers either. Of course if someone is flippin burgers for their job in order to pay the rent that's cool. I've done all kinds of crap jobs for money before now. But we all surely want to get on and do something more meaningful and enjoyable with our lives.

The burger flippers with no choice but to flip burgers don't bother me. What bothers me is when you get a bunch of youngsters whos life ambitions are to make burger flippin movies. That's kinda passing up the opportunity for something more.

Where's the condescension in that?!?

------------------

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast