Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

I have always had an interest in making films. My dad got a video camera for his birthday about 5 years ago and I was the one who used it the most. My stepbrother and I borrowed it one weekend (while I was at my dads) and we decided to make a film (Attack of the Killer Teddies).
    I directed it as well as filmed it, there was NO script or storyline (kinda like most films nowadays). We filmed this over the weekend, as well as a sequel (Attack of the Killer Teddies 2 - The Sequel).
    I edited it crudely using a VCR and the camera. (It was a crap film).

I later moved to a shared house where the couple that owned the house had cable television. I was watching it one day, and I suddenly flicked over to a channel that I recognised the location- it was cottenham, the village I went to school at!
    I started watching and then got more and more into "RedTV".

I took a trip to Ely to see a friend, and on the way back, I stopped to get some petrol. As I was walking to the shop, out walked one of the presenters from RedTV!. I (who wouldn't) walked up to him, and said "You're from RedTV, aren't you?" (Dum, but I was a bit shocked at the time.)

He told me about the new studios opening in cambridge.
    I went down to the bar just after it had opened, and had a drink. I kept going back because of the idea that I may get a job in the TV studios.

Later, one of my friends told me that RedTV were looking for volunteers to help. He gave me a volunteer application form, which I photocopied.
    I went home, got out my dads camcorder, the VCR and made up a showreel. (it was TOTAL CRAP). I also put lots of videos, animations and some computer graphics together.

I walked into the reception with a bag of tapes, a filled in application form and high hopes. I was lucky. I caught the programme co-ordinator in the right mood and she let me downstairs to the vision mixing desk where I "produced" my first TV programme!
    (actually, I flashed some graphics up on screen).

I kept going back, making myself available for any and every job that was going. Eventually, a year and a a half later, I have had so much experience in Camera, Lighting, Sound, Presenting (I was never any good at that), Vision mixing, etc...

So, that's how I got in. A lot of luck and a lot of free, slavedriving, backbreaking work, I am happy I did it, but I had to leave to get myself some money because I got married.

So, stick with it, get your foot in the door and make yourself noticed. It pays off!

Good luck.

------------------
    KEEP FOCUSED!
    Little Rich.
    http://go.to/littlerich
    www.rmsgraffix.freeserve.co.uk
    [email protected]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thats a great way to gather experience, I wish my area had somewhere like that.

They actualy let you present?!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I've been on telly. My first experience was a slot in a main-time show. It was called "online", where I had to talk about a website every day. I soon progressed to WHAT i was doing, but not HOW I was doing (I can't present).

------------------
    KEEP FOCUSED!
    Little Rich.
    http://go.to/littlerich
    www.rmsgraffix.freeserve.co.uk
    [email protected]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Sounds pretty much like happened to me...

You're just getting somewhere and your life changes immeasurably because you suddenly have responsibilities!!

Things have worked out okay for me, wouldn't change a thing. And I can chuckle at all the people breaking their backs for *no* money in the knowledge that I've been there too.

But there does come a time when earning a living has to take priority frown

So, one day I have to make money making movies ... that is when the business aspect becomes important -- and yet the business aspect tends to be the bit that everyone rips the shit out of for compromising their creativity.

Well, you need a plan. Give 'em what they want, become indespensible. Then start making demands, do what you want.

Trouble is, *few* people are indispensible in film. Unless you can write good comedy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ha ha! "Attack of the Killer Teddies?"
    One of my very old, crap movies when I was a youngin' was
    "Attack of the Killer Toys."

Funny...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i find the easiest way to get into tv's is to take the plastic off the back and just jump in smile

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by testo:
    i find the easiest way to get into tv's is to take the plastic off the back and just jump in smile
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that still makes me laugh