Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with the above statement... If you're going to do any editing on a PC, try and stay awy from the Win 9x family. I still have a Win 98se machine, and its prone to... abnormalities? So I finally broke down ("broke" being the operable word) and bought a new Win XP machine for the render farm.

seekaee - If you like Win 2k, you'll love XP. Like Win 2k, its built on the NT kernel, but it has all the multi-media support of the 9x family. Its sweet, and very Mac-ish in the interface.

------------------
    www.sn-films.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

WIN XP is honestly MS?s best OS yet (thanks to the NT kernel) plus you can get a great PC for a very low price. My own setup is an Athlon XP 1900(which at this moment is pound-for pound- the fastest CPU you can get) with 1 gig of ram and an 80 gig Harddrive. The whole setup cost me an around $650(not including my 21?? monitor and win2000 which I already had).

However, if I had some extra money to burn I would love to have a MAC. they?re new OS 10.1 is wonderful and the new Final Cut Pro 3 beats the paints off Premiere 6.0.

Now if only Apple would develop FCP for windows.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i'm falling in love with Mac OS-X, even though I've never used it and I hate the aqua skin. I hate what Microsoft are doing with XP, I've heard there's a pop-up aksing you to register at MSN etc etc, yuk!

it's the thought of running Samba, MS-Office and Adobe Premiere on the same box ... not forgetting a yummy CLI

long term, Mac OS-X provides least lock-in and maximum official interopability with Microsoft products, until GNU/Linux/<insert favourite windowmanager> becomes 'socially acceptable'

now if only Mac hardware wasn't so damned expensive ...

------------------
    N305UDB M173UBM
    (B55VOR)
    (WGO963W)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have three computers, a pentium II(333mhz), a 486, and an apple mac lcII.

whats the best editing software(just for fixing mistakes) and cheap at the same time?

the 486 is the most reliable, is there freeware available for that?

just considering so i can upload shorts to sites.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I?ve messed around with XP and I like it a lot! I?ll probably wait another two months before I install it. XP pro is similar more to Win 2000 then the slim-down home version.

And yeah, Mac?s hardware is extremely expensive! And to be honest it wouldn?t bother me as a consumer that much if it weren?t THE SAME kind of hardware equipped in even the most moderate priced PC?s. I remember a few years ago going to a well known computer store in Los Angeles to look at video cards when I noticed that ATI?s 64-meg card for PC?s were going for $140 bucks while the Mac?s were going for $250! --And they were only 16 megs!

Hopefuly, the new G5's comming out next year will be loaded with better hardware like SCSI, DDR ram, ect.

[This message has been edited by seekaee (edited December 11, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

About that 486, I'm afraid it's pretty much a paper weight, even Win 95 will run EXTREMLY slow on it. I would try installing some version of Linux or Unix on it.Old computers like that can be made into a good litle proxy server/or firewall.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Along with mac coming out with the G5, I hear that a G4 "Apollo" processor is in the works and will come out early in 2002. This is yet another option if you choose the mac. I use a mac with FCP 2 and it works great. I have never had a problem with the firewirk either.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool!Hopefuly, with those new Apollo chips they will make a few new Mobo's to go alone with them. Hence, maybe it will lower the cost on all Mac's.

I allways thought it would be kind of funny if I ever built a Mac clone,I would use one of those fake G3'ish, blue/white tower cases that were made for people who wanted their PC's to look like a mac.

Guess i'm a little weird..lol!

[This message has been edited by seekaee (edited December 12, 2001).]

Inactive Member thepreacher_naric's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MAC's are good at what they can do. The problem is the selection of software along with the amount of processors you can insert into them. The G5 coming out soon will be a fast box, but you still can't beat Intel or AMD for processing power if you adding an extra CPU. Using After Effects to render movies with a dual 1.5Ghz is easy. Not only that, it also costs less than buying a proposed couple of grand worth of G5.
    The software out there for PC's is huge and you can always get good support for setting your computer up.
    Go PC I say if your going to be editing.
    Need some "Hot" software, email me.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The only reason Macs are still around is the marketing department. They look good, they have a one button mouse, and they're nice and simple. But the difference is like an automatic and a standard transmission in a car, the automatic is great for girls talking on their cell phones and putting on makeup, who need an easier machine to control, but you'll never get the level of control you get without a stick. Same with Macs and PCs, baby. You just can't do with a Mac what you can with a PC, unless, like someone laughably suggested, you get a program that lets your shiney see through Mac pretend it's a real computer.

------------------

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast