Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

notha thing came to me mind:

A movie maker, who has this idea of 'making a piece of art' in his head, is a hypocrite. (not only movie makers for that matter)

Art is defined by the people who see it afterwards, not by the maker who creates it.

"Hmm i'm gonna make myself some art"

That movie maker will do his best to do 'wise' and 'thoughtful' things in his movie, wanting to go the oppisite way of the 'hollywood' style.

Nothing wrong with not going the hollywood style, but i think, when you WANT to go to the opposite of Hollywood just because your movie will get the 'smart' and 'art-like' crowd, you are a hypocrite.

I dont know why, cant really express myself that well in english perhaps.

And i didnt like magnolia because the film just didnt grab my attention. I know it has a deep meaning, but if the movie is too boring to watch then the deep meaning behind the movie just doesnt matter. (my opinion)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

art for art's sake, money for god's sake

art1 Pronunciation Key (?rt)
    n.

Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
    The study of these activities.
    The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.

High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.
    A field or category of art, such as music, ballet, or literature.
    A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.

A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.
    A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.

Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.
    Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: ?Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice? (Joyce Carol Oates).

arts Artful devices, stratagems, and tricks.
    Artful contrivance; cunning.

Printing. Illustrative material.

===

first of, which 'art' are we talking about?

and I think the word emjen is looking for is pretentious, not hypocritical.

and anyone who targets the art clique is preaching to the converted anyway ...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"and anyone who targets the art clique is preaching to the converted anyway ..."

Good thought.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

what does that mean?

(i am not english man)

Pretentious yeah thats better.

And of course there are films which are commercial, like spiderman. The movie isnt even that good, but the marketing they put into it geez. But does that mean when a movie puts a lot of marketing and commercial things behind it its bad? I dont think so.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=clique

I believe there is art, or more specifically design, to be found in even the most overhyped product.

No matter what people may think of Star Wars, the art design, the production design, the technical design, the sound design, rocks. It's just Lucas' direction of actors sucks when he hasn't got Harrison Ford or a real set. Paul Verhoven should get the Episode III gig ...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Maybe more people watch Eastenders, Coronation Street et al because they are generally better eamples of the art of the moving image than most movies.
    I am sure the Eastenders/Coronation Street scriptwriters could have produce a better script for Revenge/revolt of the bones/clones.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

perhaps it's conservative peak time programming that keeps those soaps popular?

I for one never watch them, and the odd time I do catch a bit the plot lines are all the same (such and such sleeping with such and such leads to consequence such and such)

more Coupling!

more Brasseye!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456