Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I met Robert Rodriguez, I shook his hand, he gave me his autograph, and took a pictur

Eliud25
    Hello guys. Today I met Robert Rodriguez. Yes at his premiere of the movie Spy Kids 2. Yeah I got his autograph and shook his hand and took a picture with him. Ask me questions and I will answer them. Come ask.

Well at about 4:30 p.m I went to downtown Austin where there was a bunch of people hanging around the Paramount Theatre. Spy Kids 2 was supposed to start at 5:00 pm so I hurried to get there. As I approached the Paramount there were 3 black limousines that were blocking the road on Congress. Police officers were keeping security. There was a long line of people waiting to enter. Mostly kids with their parents. It was a Sunday afternoon and it was different in that on Sundays there are few people but today Congress was crowded. There were reporters, photographers and paparazzi everywhere. There was also a little Carnival/festival outside the theatre as people lined up to meet Robert and the Cast of Spy Kids 2. Well there I was with a nice shirt and tie looking professional. As the long lines of people prepared to enter I noticed Danny Trejo. He had just a regular shirt and jeans. A reporter was asking him questions as the camera guy recorded the event. Once it was over there was a bunch of people lining up to get an autograph. I approached Dany Trejo and asked for an autograph. I said I got a pen as I took one out of my shirt pocket. He said? I got one? and took out a black felt tip marker. Well I got an autograph and a picture of him as the camera recorded the event. I also shook his hand. Anyways there I was taking pictures with the star Danny Trejo. What I noticed was that he looked older and different than in his movies. Later as I entered the theatre I met one of Robert Rodriguez brothers and his girlfriend. I told the guy you look like the director. He said "Whose that?" I said "Robert Rodriguez" He said, "He's my brother" I said I just moved to Austin and I have a script for him maybe you could give it to him " he made a face. She took him by the arm and led him upstairs. "couldn't you just give him this letter? He said" I will talk to you later".He shook my hand and left.. Anyways I felt and a bit bewildered by their attitude.(Later I would learn they couldn't take scripts because I had to go through Robert's agent) There were hoards of people as I tried getting a soda. I bought the soda which war really a Dr.pepper at the concession stand and then proceeded to go upstairs to my assigned seat, which cost me $35 American dollars. I wanted to meet Robert so I went downstairs. I went downstairs and asked if Robert had gone by. Some guy told me I just missed him. Robert was the guy with the black hat. I looked around and saw the assistant manager and asked her where Robert was. She said sitting in the middle of the row down the aisle. So as I proceeded I saw that on the right side there were some open seats. So I took one at the edge. Then all of a sudden a man appeared on the stage as the lights were on him. He said he was the president of the Austin Film Commission (or was it film society?) anyways he talked about how when he used to be a Professor at the University of Texas and how Robert studied under him and how Robert made the film El Mariachi. Then the Mayor of Austin, Texas came on honoring Robert for bringing business to Austin and how he was glad Robert made Spy Kids 2 in Austin. I noticed the Mayor was Mexican American while the President was Anglo. Then Robert began to talk about he made his film which was really a home video(film). How anyone could make a film and he encouraged everyone out there to make films. Anyways then he talked about how he saved money making the animations for the film by going over to George Lucas studio, etc, etc. Flashes of light erupted as camera and video recorders recorded the event.Then the lights were turned off. As it turns out I was sitting all alone when a man sits next to me. He said that seat was reserved for the assistant producer. I told him I had some scripts maybe he could take them. He said he couldn't. That I had to go through agents. Actually he said Robert?s agent. Now I understood why none could take my scripts. I had to go through the agents. When I moved he said the other was for the assistant director(or did he say Robert's assistant?) So I moved a row back as a young 25 year-old-girl sat there. I would later realize she was Robert's assistant. There was a ticket at the seat, which I took. They were going to give gifts for the lucky ticket winner at the end of the film. A man sat next to me. As I adjusted my vision I saw that it was the Mayor of Austin.He said"Como esta?" which means How are you? in English. I introduced myself and said I was a filmmaker and that I wanted to make movies like Robert. I asked him if I could take his picture. He said yes but it was too dark. He said ?you can take it later.? Anyways he said Robert is across the aisle. As I turned left there was Robert. What separated us was the aisle. And next to him was all his family. About 50 of them. Brothers, sister, cousins, his wife, kids, and of course friends and assistants. Anyways I freaked out. On my right was the Mayor and his family and on my left Robert and his family. You could understand how nervous I was. I mean I knew none. Well the film started and Robert took out a mini-dv camcorder and began to record his film. He had a tiny microphone. Then the crowd cheered with excitement as the film began. For 2 hours I watched the film. It was full of animation and special effects. In the middle of the film, the film turned off. Assistants ran to Robert as they tried to explain what was going on. Then all of a sudden Robert made some funny comments. The crowd laughed. Finally the film was fixed and at the end of the film a rock video with the stars appeared. Apparently they had done the video right there at the Paramount. Roberts?s assistant brought a big microphone, which Robert placed, on the aisle. Then he and his assistant proceeded to go to the back of the stage. The lights were turned on and then Rodriguez came on the stage. Robert began to talk.He appologized for the film saying that it was being projected on digital projector and that they had the option of going to film but they fixed the problem. Oh by the way the Mayor's grandkid got sick so the Mayor,and his whole family left leaving me alone. Robert introduced his mom, I then took a picture, he talked about his wife, Elizabeth Avellan, (which I would later talk to), then talked about Rocket (his son). The two Mexican American stars of the film came on the stage. I noticed Robert was wearing a black Texan hat that had a Lone Star State symbol. He was wearing a brown short sleeve shirt, gray kaki pants, and white tennis shoes. (Alexa Vega and Daryl Sabara), the two original spy kids, began to pick out the tickets to give out goodies for the crowds. They both were wearing blue. They looked different from the film especially the girl who had golden brown hair instead of the black curly hair in the film. The boy was wearing a blue shirt that had like rank on his sleeve. Then Robert began by introducing the other two Anglo American boy and girl stars Gary and Gerti Giggles (Matthew O'Leary and Emily Osment). Then he introduced the guy that did the weird animal animation. The crowd applauded. Then they brought what looked like a cylinder lottery box. The stars of the film, the 4 kids, began to pick out numbers. People began to win the prizes. There was a scream as they gave out the Flocusian device(or was it transmooger device?), which came out in the film. A little Anglo girl got it. She screamed with excitement. Then Robert asked if there were any questions. I decided to talk but was petrified with fear. So there were only 2 questions asked by the crowd on top. Then they introduced Bill Paxton, who played the part or the skinny underwater researcher in the beginning of the Titanic film. Bill Paxton came out in the beginning 10 minutes of Spy Kids 2(I would later notice he looked older than in the film which means they must of used a lot of makeup on his face to make him look younger). As I turned left there was Elizabeth Avellan (Robert's Wife) and producer. The lights were turned on and she stood up. I said" Are you Elizabeth Avella" She said" Yes I am" I said nice to meet you I am like Robert and one day I will make a feature and be famous (Words to that effect) She said "Do it" I said "Can I take a picture" She said " Yes" so I took a picture. Then she went upstairs with here whole family. I proceeded to go downstairs as crowds of kids, parents, fans, and reporters, photographers moved quickly towards the stage. It was so crowded that I couldn't get through to the stage for about 5 minutes. I made my way down thinking that maybe I would lose the opportunity to talk to Robert. Bill Paxton was giving autographs like crazy and then approached Bill Paxton. I told him I admired his work and it was an honor to meet him. I asked for his autograph. Then there was an anglo female photographer that had a huge Professional film camera. She was taking pictures like crazy of the little stars, Bill Paxton, and Robert. As I approached Robert I said, ?Can I have your autograph? I had made a copy of the first page of the Exposure.com site where he is with the stars of the Faculty film. Well he signed the copy. Then other kids and parents asked him for his autograph. The female camerawoman kept taking pictures like crazy so she kept getting in my way when I was trying to get a good picture. The photographer asked for the name of one of the girls Robert signed and autograph for. I thought that she was going to ask me for my name, but she didn?t. I took another picture of Robert at weird angles because he was onstage and I was at the bottom so people kept getting on my way. He was more famous than I thought. He finally stepped down and I was next to him. I asked 40-year-old lady to take my camera and take a picture with Robert. I said ?Can I take a picture with you? Then the lady interfered and said? Not before he autographs my kids ticket. Robert said? o.k? then I stood next to Robert while I told the lady ?you must back up 3 feet.? She backed up about 2 and then she took the picture. I asked Robert? How can I work with you in the film industry?? Robert Rodriguez said? talk to my assistant and she will take your name and when there is a crew or casting call she?ll call you. (Words to that affect.) Well Robert talked to more people, gave autographs, took pictures. I took another picture as the crowed slowly dissipated. Then he moved upstairs as a few people with video cameras and cameras followed him including me. Then I took my last picture as he talked to family. As I began to go outside people were coming in to see picture. A lot of people were coming out. Before I left outside, I saw the young, may I say handsome, brother with a girl, which I thought was his sister. Then I said might I take your picture. Me? Yeah. He said with a surprise. Then he said my brother wants to talk to you. I asked how does it feel to be the brother of a famous director. He said? Everyone has their own life. We walked outside and as we searched for his brother, the guy?s girlfriend came to him and the sister? Disappeared into the crown. Well you?ll be around right? I said yeah. I then said I know you won?t take my script. He gave me a look and then I gave him my letter. He took it. Then my sister showed up. Then the brother who had taken my letter came back with the other brother. He gave me back my letter. Then that is when I talked to the other brother. This guy looked like 23 years old. He said what? up? I said well I just moved to Austin. He asked me why? I said because there is no work where I live, I mean film work. I want to work with the Austin film society, or Austin Studios, or with Robert. Then he talked and talked and said he was making a film in October in the valley and since I was from the valley that he was looking for someone to direct. I had the reviews of my films on paper and he looked over it. Then he gave me a few pointers on how to work and get some money so I can make my films and how it was easier it was to make a film where I lived because there were not a lot of problems like in Austin etc.etc. He finally took my letter and then he left. The little fair/carnival was in front of me as the kids got on the rides. There were free cokes and families moved around as other people rushed in to the theatre to see the film. I had taken 24 pictures and I had no more so drove back home. I went to the local photo place and they told me that they would have my pictures at 12:00 tomorrow afternoon. I had 3 autographs of 3 famous people. The first autograph was on my ticket (Danny Trejo), the second on white paper (Bill Paxton) and the last on paper of Exposure.com?s page (Robert Rodriguez). As I fell asleep I wondered what it all meant. Maybe it was my destiny to be there at the premiere of Spy Kids 2. It was my first premiere and it was most memorable. One day I will have my own premiere and one day I will be famous. I fell asleep knowing that the next day I would talk to great filmmakers at site called Exposure.com and tell them about everything that happened when I met Robert Rodriguez!

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 09, 2002 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Eliud25 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey there.

Did he have hairy hands?

Despin out.

Eliud25

Cool

No he didn't have hairy hands.
    and the red sea parted? No the red sea didn't part. Why is he so famous? I suppose he is very famous because he was an ordianary guy that made it and other people didn't.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 07, 2002 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Eliud25 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How come he made such a ****** film as Spy Kpds (not to mentio Spy Kids 2)?

ANd why is he such a hero?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey there.

Spy Kids is a great kids movie.

I'm 21 and I loved it.

Despin out.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

did he have a halo round his head ?
    did the guy walk or did he just float ?
    were there strings playing when he appeared ?
    is it true he can walk through fire ?
    did he turn any water in to wine ?
    were any leapers nearby cured ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

did you get rid of any of your scripts?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does he respect the dual pork chop look?

You're a skank if you didn't ask him...

[img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I thught Spy Kids was a good movie. Spy Kids 2 doesn't look so good though. I guess we count this as one of Robert's 'bad' movies that he needs to get out.

Eliud25

Wink

Did he have hairy hands? No he didn't.
    How come he made such a ****** film as Spy Kpds (not to mentio Spy Kids 2)?I suppose because he has kids and that motivated him to make Spy Kids 2.
    ANd why is he such a hero?Because he is really a rags to riches story and that is the American Dream. You come to America and then you become rich.
    did he have a halo round his head ? NO
    did the guy walk or did he just float ? He walked
    were there strings playing when he appeared ?No but there was the Mayor of Austin prasing him.
    is it true he can walk through fire ?No
    did he turn any water in to wine ?NO
    were any leapers nearby cured ?NO but I got an autograph
    did you get rid of any of your scripts? NO because I needed to go through Roberts agent.
    Does he respect the dual pork chop look? I don't know what that is.
    and the red sea parted? No the red sea didn't part but the curtains did, I think.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 07, 2002 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Eliud25 ]</font>

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast