Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: copyright

  1. #21
    Inactive Member MonkeyVideoProductions's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    23
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [QUOTE]Hence someone previously saying get original music from, for example; a local band. QUOTE]

    Trying to get any of the local bands in my town to cover any music would result in very, very sh1tty soundtrack.

    I bothered to post because I was tring to help, because that is what this forum is for, and I admit, yes I got it completely wrong, and I am sorry to talisac for any confusion brought on by me.

    By the way, spelling never has been one of my stong points.

    I think I shal just go leave this thread alone, and get back to making my short, which theoreticaly (probably spelt completely wrong) doesn't need and music on it, which is very handy for me, because it means I can't get caught up in any stupid laws, except for running around my town with guns (the police aren't too hot on people doing that these days).

  2. #22
    Inactive Member Kev Owens's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    701
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Fair enough, it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong.

    I hope that the copyright advice comes in handy for you in the future as well...

  3. #23
    Inactive Member nate_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2001
    Posts
    115
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Has anyone cleared rights for music via e-mail?

    Is that possible or just unlikely?

  4. #24
    HB Forum Owner Tard's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2001
    Posts
    2,286
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Do you mean P2P filesharing, nate? Although Gnutilla/Kazaa/Limewire/etc. really have a feeling of being "public domain" in the ease of locating & downloading audio/video selections, it's still illegal. Especially if you wish to use audio in a soundtrack for a project of your own.

    But personally, believe there is a bit too much fear-mongering going on in this thread. I've been involved in videotape/DVD pirating & creating my own collection/compilation tapes for sale to the general public since 1988. Many of the soundtracks in those compilations are just from ecclectic (WTF is that? music) CD's in my own personal collection. None of the compilations have more info in the credits than 1) Title 2) My name 3) year of creation 4) My P.O. Box addy. Never a soundtrack list.

    If it's just for a film that you'll show to a few friends & family, maybe a classroom (NOT sent off to a film-fest) don't think there would be any problem with using whatever soundtrack you wish.

    LOL, if your film turns out to be the next Citizen Kane in popularity, you'll have to redo the soundtrack with licensed material, but in 15 years of ripping-off quick edit scenes from other movies & overlaying unlicensed soundtracks on them, haven't had a problem of any customer complaining to the authorities.

    My 2 cents...

  5. #25
    Inactive Member nate_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2001
    Posts
    115
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No, no.

    I mean, has anyone ever tried contacting the record companies through e-mail and asking for permission?

    I've never tried getting permission before but I suspect it means being on hold on the phone for a long time.

    Anyone had experience with attempting to get popular songs for their movies, or ever just tracks off a soundtrack?

  6. #26
    Inactive Member eidde's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hello

    Yes I have twice and it was easy.
    You contact the distributor, and ask them how much it would cost to use whichever song/track for your project- describing the project and what kind of release its going to have (UK or European or Worldwide or whatever festivals) and then they mail you back with a price.
    For me they charged 100 pounds for a year in UK festivals. For European festivals this would have been 250 I think.
    I didnt take them up on it in the end, but a few polite emails was all it took.
    or do it over the phone. I dont see why you should be put on hold for a long time, just try it and find out.

  7. #27
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, this is a catch 22. They offer you a pretty low price, but you don't take the offer. This may explain why they'd rather charge a lot and not deal with filmmakers on a case by case basis.

  8. #28
    Inactive Member eidde's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ah well so be it. Its tough when you are skint.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •