Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Fightscenes

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Filmmaker58's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2003
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's a link to a fightscene I directed for my instructional video, Fightscenes For Motion Pictures. It was the culmination of the DVD where we cover everything from learning to fall, the impact line, camera placement, and even some editing tricks. I'm anxious to hear what everyone thinks. http://www.kerbybrothers.com/The_Protector.mov

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'll just focus on a couple of minor things, keep in mind, I'm not sure if you have shared this clip with us as a scene from an actual action movie you might be making or as a scene from an instructional video you have made.

    Here are some generic points that shouldn't be taken too seriously since overall it was a good job.

    Because of the black background, and the one guy's black gloves, it's hard to pick up some of the hand to hand fighting.

    I would have raised the shutter speed on the camera to sharpen the action, and considered some other color combination that would have shown off the arm/hand to hand combat better. I liked the shaft of light lighting coming from above.

    There were a couple of slow moments that could be tightened up, but then again, are we watching this as an instructional video, or as a "scene" from an "action movie".

    Nice camera movement also. Near the end of the video, just before the hero ducks to avoid an assailant, there was one shot where he was fighting one of the other goons and I thought I saw a bored look on the hero's face.

    Are you going to share an instructional video scene also, or is that why we should buy the Video/DVD?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Filmmaker58's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2003
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Titanium,

    Both Korey Fackler (the Hero), and Jake Bass (The Main villain)are accomplished martial artists, but have had only limited experience shooting fight scenes, so doing this video was a great learning experience for them as well. I tried to gear the instructional video so that anyone, from a experienced stuntman, to a video editor can get something out of it. It covers subjects from learning how to fall, to camera positions and editing techniques, so it's really ideal for the Indy filmmaker who usually does two or more of these jobs. I'd say that even people with no fighting experience can watch this DVD and know where to put the camera to make a fight look real.

    Alex,

    The fight was strictly done as an instructional video (although it spawned some ideas for a storyline that I'm working on). Hence the blue pad etc., and yes, he did have a bored face as (as directed by me) as he knew he had already beaten their best fighter, and was now just mopping up the rest....And yes, there is a BTS of us choreographing that fight, and much much more on the DVD.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member titaniumdoughnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2003
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    [img]biggrin.gif[/img] OMG!

    That was very, very, good! Tell me, were the actors stuntmen or blackbelts? What was their previous training. How much previous training do you need to do something like that. I am considering getting a copy of your DVD.

    amazing...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •