Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been using a Mac the last 14 months after being a long term Windows and Linux user.

For content creation, the Mac is difficult to beat.

PCs are very versatile, but I think that's also their greatest weakness.

For the way I work the Mac has it licked. The only thing I miss slightly is the Sonic Foundry (now Sony) stuff.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I prefer mac's for editng. because they are simply better... Which do u prefer.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

lol, 20 years is an eternity for computer technology.

i'm sure Apple decided to build OS X on unix for a reason: unix is already 40 years old!

but yeah PC vs Mac, they're equivilent in most respects now. there's not really anything you can't do on one that can't be done on the other. it just boils down to personal preference. and, maybe, size of wallet/credit rating ;-)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

btw, this site tries to compare X vs XP, and it even has a forum dedicated to the differences.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They are equivilant insofar as film making is concerned. But you can't play games on macs, you can't use popular file sharing programs, you can't use hardware designed for pc architecture. And you only have one mouse button, which just pisses me off

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Peter_G:
    They are equivilant insofar as film making is concerned. But you can't play games on macs, you can't use popular file sharing programs, you can't use hardware designed for pc architecture. And you only have one mouse button, which just pisses me off
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lol, i can see u actually have never owned a mac, there are like 50 file sharing programs for it, the most popular being Limewire, which has millions of users, games are becoming more and more available on macs, and if they only run on windows, you can be a program called virtual pc which will run your windows games on a mac. You can buy a 2 button mouse for a mac, they just come generically with your mac, most 2 button mice are compatible with mac.

oh can anyone name 1 program that comes anywhere near equal to final cut pro on windows??? (Don't say premiere, because it cannot handle large films, where as final cut handles it like a breeze)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ya, and most game manufacturers don't bother making a game that s compatible on both cause it would would be too hard i would assume. But if you go to mac stores, you can find games like unreal tournament 2004, and deer hunter 5 and the like for macs as well...

BTW-I run a mac OSX v. 2 and Final Cut Pro 3, and I love it...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

At the risk of being unpopular, I'm going to have to endorse the PC. There are only two reasons I would ever consider using any mac: final cut pro and pro tools. Any other major software package that would interest me has a fully functional PC equivalant.

The reason all people in the audio visual professions use macs is more out of loyalty then out of actual functionality. While historically macs were superior to PCs for audo visual applications, were more stable and enjoyed success from these professionals as a result, PC's are at least equal to macs in these respects nowadays. And you get all the other stuff (direct x functunality, support for all software, support for all hardware) as well.

Adobe made the decisions to develop premiere pro for the PC platform only. I predict that more will follow this trend and in twenty years or less macs will fade into obscurity. To me they represent a fundamental betrayal of nerd values: The triumph of pretty, self contained, consumer orientated technology over robust, versatile and customizeable technology.

Inactive Member TJ_the_director's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, I have a dual 1Gh chip G4 mac for movie editing over there (yep, FCP & protools on it), and a PC (pentium 4 windows XP)over here for everything else.

The winner? the Mac hands down.

I will not ever edit a movie on a PC without a Prozac prescription.

that's my 2 cents.

Have a good day!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah, Peter_G you are showing your ignorance about Macs a bit there!

the old joke about playing games on the Mac five years after you played them on the PC isn't so far from the truth though, lol. but that situation is improving slowly.
    http://macgamer.com/

personally i don't get too much time for games, but i have more than enough mame roms to keep me busy in macmame.

an xfactor p2p client connects to multiple p2p networks, including gnutella and fastrack (kazaa)

like i said, there's really not anything you can't do on one that can't be done on the other ...

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast