Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As has been mentioned FCP WIPES THE FLOOR with PC Efforts. I also think its integration with DVD Studio Pro is a huge selling point. The recently released "Motion" looks nice too.

Also I've never had a firewire problem with a mac. Capture cards with PCs are another (frustrating) story.

And on an unrelated and highly shallow note, Macs look so much cooler. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

firewire problem? I don't think I've ever had a firewire problem or known anyone who had because firewire cards are so relatively simple that the chances of anything going wrong with them are at best slim.

Adobe premiere pro is, in my opinion, superior to final cut pro. It has integrated 5.1 support, colour correction, compatibility with cubase VST plugins and supports nested editing (i.e editing one scene at a time, and organising those edited scenes together in one master timeline)

What you really mean is "Macs are better because I use one". Your arguments are pretty poor.

What you all fail to realise is that in todays climate of globalisation, when it comes to things like desktop computer platforms, or formats for movies and music, it is nessecary and inevitable for there to be one clear winner. Having two or three competeing formats is a bad thing for the consumer. What this kind of thing does is limit choice by making software companys invest more conservatively. I think that we should all drive on the right hand side of the road, use kilometres and own PCs because its better that way. There needs to be global standards for everything.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 22, 2004 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Peter_G ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

THAT IS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF BULL I HAVE EVER HEARD! Hav u even use final cut pro, if you did, you would see it is soo much more powerful than premiere pro (i've used both a lot). I've used both windows and mac extensively. And mac is better.

Name 1 PC that can compete with a dual G5 Precessor....

Name 1 PC that has all the features of an eMac for the same price, including the free software that they include (THPS4, Deimos Rising and Soundtrack.) and include firewire ports.

Name one peice of free software that competes with iMovie for easy editing...

Name a peice of free software that competes with Garageband...

Name a free peice of software that competes with iPhoto...

Name a free peice of software that competes with iDVD...

These and the pure stability of mac compared to windows is what everyone love about macs, they a community minded, where as windows, they just make a peice of S___ then sell it without even properly testing it.

honestly you guys need to realise that just because most people use windows, doesn't make them the best computer in the world.

After all, computer rage only occured when windows came on the scene. And since i switch to mac i no longer get computer rage.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Obviously I cannot win this argument in your narrowly defined terms.

"Why don't u (note use of crazy txtisms) NAME ONE piece of software that can compete with blah blah blah blah blah "

yawn.

Amd's new 64-bit processor is superior to any mac processor because any mac processor is'nt 64-bit.

Whatever it takes to mask your crippling insecurity about your quant little macintosh machines.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Jass Films:
    I prefer mac's for editng. because they are simply better... Which do u prefer.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i liked this argument better than your other ones.

why did you start a topic with the pretense of hearing other peoples views on editing when really all you wanted to do was get into yet another fucking mac versus pc geek debate.

the means have no importance to the end in film editing.

i think this argument should be banned along with film versus digital.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

&gt;What you all fail to realise is that in todays
    &gt;climate of globalisation, when it comes to
    &gt;things like desktop computer platforms, or
    &gt;formats for movies and music, it is nessecary
    &gt;and inevitable for there to be one clear winner.
    &gt;Having two or three competeing formats is a bad
    &gt;thing for the consumer. What this kind of thing
    &gt;does is limit choice by making software companys
    &gt;invest more conservatively. I think that we
    &gt;should all drive on the right hand side of the
    &gt;road, use kilometres and own PCs because its
    &gt;better that way. There needs to be global
    &gt;standards for everything.

wow! Is that sarcasm? Cos it seems to be completely missing the idea of free trade/markets, and consumer choice....

You think competition is a bad thing then?

What you are describing is called a monopoly, and there are trade laws which try to prevent that from happening and for good reason.

Any market is consumer driven, if something does what they want then they use it. If the humble MAC didnt do what people want them to do then
    they would have disapeared long ago.

yadda yadda yadda

Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Geezus Pete!

I havent heard such rubbish on here in a long time. Entertaining stuff though. Have you have got a little shrine to Bill Gates in your room or something?

First off the apple G5 is (say it with me) 64-bit.

You might like premiere, but unfortunatly no one in (say it with me) the industry, agrees with you.

All mac users have to put up with PCs from time to time. OS X is hilariously far ahead of XP.

"I think that we
    should all drive on the right hand side of the
    road, use kilometres and own PCs because its
    better that way. There needs to be global
    standards for everything."

This is a quite staggering statement. I hope its just badly judged sarcasm. Because its verging on facist.

Tons of creative pros use Macs. You're going to have to live with it.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 23, 2004 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Generic Skinhead ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I use a Mac for everything, and would never use a PC.

I use to be known as Machead round here, but I've calmed down.

I've owned my Mac for about 5 years and its been totally trouble free experience. G4 350mgh. tempted to buy a new one but It still does everything I want it to do, (but a bit slowly) I've never really felt the desire to constantly want the latest upgrades or processors or new Graphics cards... etc......

I like the fact that we're a humble 5% of the Market, I feel like I'm a member of an exclusive club, when I meet other Mac owners its nice to have something in common, sort of like classic car enthusiasts.

Its also nice to be free from Microsoft (Nothing personal to Bill Gates but more to do with viruses)

Just bought an iPod Mini (silver), its absolutely gorgeous, now that's harware worth plugging into your Mac or PC.

Can't wait to get Aiport Express with AirTunes,

And I'd love a laptop.

I love innovation.

By the way Apple recommend a THREE button mouse with FCP.

Peter_G
    I started on FCP 1 (OS9 pirate copy feel like an old timer) and that had nested editing capabilities (4 years ago now).

Adobe pulled Premiere on the Mac cause no one bought it, everyone wants FCP. That counts for more than your opinions of Premiere and how much better it is than FCP, In my opinion though its a bad thing when a Software package is pulled from the Mac, one of the reasons why Mac is so good is that its had to be good to survive. Its been a very competitive time for Apple.

Saying that Quark Xpress was not gonna be released for OSX,thought every one would ditch the Mac and go PC so Adobe Indesign stepped in OSX format, and has made quiet a dent in Quarks market share in Publishing.
    Quark tried to ditch the Mac and cocked up big time.

Final Cut Express has Colour Correction (I use FCE will upgrade FCP soon)Peter_G

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

honestly you guys need to realise that just because most people use windows, doesn't make them the best computer in the world.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, because most people use windows does, in point of fact, make it the best operating system in the world. That is the basis of my whole argument.

The raw ability of both sytems to crunch numbers is, when one considers cost, about the same. One is not clearly and inherently better then the other in this respect. The two constantly copy one anothers innovations. The architecture of both systems works on exactly the same principles. It is, as I outlined before, nessecary and inevitable that there is a global standard for desktop computers, just like there was a global standard for video cassettes established in the 1980's. That global standard is a PC probably running Microsoft Windows, as dictated by global market forces, not me. The more people own PC's, the more people buy PC's the more people develop software for PC's. Not a difficult phenomenon to understand. But the really important thing here is that when the battles lost and won, when computers cease to be this dynamic, unstable, unpredictable thing that they are, when they are an established industry and when todays software becomes obsolete, and when everyone in the industry has had to make all those countless "commercial decisions" I WILL BE PROVEN CORRECT! Contrary to whatever bullshit they may post on there corporate website, digidesign would much rather pro tools could be a PC program without alienating the mac people-- that way their slice of the pie could increase exponentially by pleasing users at all ends of the spectrum. Protools, or its spiritual successor will one day have a fully functional Microsoft Windows version.

we're a humble 5% of the Market
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">More like 2%, but Riddle-me-this: What was mac's market share in 1994? How about 1987? Did it not peak some time in the eightys and has it not been declining since? Does it not stand to reason that it will continue to decline? As you yourself concede:

Its been a very competitive time for Apple
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When, after this one-time peak, have things not been very competitive for Apple (all that iPod and iTunes stuff aside, that's irrelevant)? Why should they not continue to be?

As for generic skinhead's hilarious "fascist" diatribe, I say to you - was'nt establishing global standards always a communist ideal? If memory serves this is briefly mentioned in the writings of Karl Marx. I don't want everyone to have the same religion......just the same method of measuring things. And you are, presumably, a skinhead....is'nt skinhead music synonymous with racist fascism? (e.g skrewdriver). I don't really know how fair an assertion that is. Just a thought.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

riddle me this:

the film industry is over 100 years old, and yet I can choose to acquire footage in a myriad of formats and guages.

the only standard is 24fps and optional optical soundtrack, all other tech has competing standards, even Microsoft want some of the HD film pie!

competition drives innovation drives progress.

because Apple only has 5% installed user base it has to be competitive and innovative or die. this is good for Mac users IMO.

i can still choose a cross-head (philips) or flathead screw. neither are going away any time soon.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast