Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why do people on this board always do this to me? They always use horribly assinine analogys, utterly devoid of even the most tenuos grasp of the issue. Like that moronic screwdriver analogy. The difference between screws and computers, insofar as we're concerned, is that most people can afford to own two screwdrivers, but most people cannot afford to own two computers. Also, you can usually use a regular screwdriver in a philips screw. Also, things more or less remain static in the world of screws, don't they?

The "myriad of formats" thing you bring up is stupid aswell, but it kind of supports my argument. In the very early days of the cinema, the late 19th century, there was more then 35mm film available. There was a couple of fairly similar formats with slightly different dimensions that were pretty much the same. At this point in time, there was no clear "winner". Then, for some reason that I don't know and is not important, 35mm became popular and then it became the standard. It became a staple of the film industry around which all innovation - from colour film stock to dolby digital to cinemascope developed. And, in my humblest of opinions, PCs will become the 35mm format of the personal computer arena. Macintosh will become an obscure foot note in it's history.

And thats all I have to say about it.

If any of you think I'm arrogant you are right. I am a narcasstic, conceited egotist. But I'm right.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

utterly devoid of even the most tenuos grasp of the issue
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">what exactly is the issue? you just come across as blinkered as any mac zealot.

monoculture is a Bad Thing IMO, though it may be inevitable.

frankly i don't care - i'm too busy using my chosen toolset to hark on about some hyperthetical superiority that may or may not exist.

i do wish some othe PC users would come out of the woodwork though, then we could have some really entertaining flame wars.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

70mm = Mac

Ironically the appeal of FCP to Pro's is its ability to deal with all film formats, 24p HD dv etc.

That's why it is the winner

You've sort of answered the question for us.

I love my iPod Mini

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok Pete, you really need to think and research before you speak.

2% is what you beleive the market own, simply because say, 98% of homes has a pc, regardless of whether they have a mac aswell. Bring university's (colleges), and schools, and film and music business's into the equation then you are looking at well over 5%.

Mac is not going anywhere, they are growing so rapidly it's not funny. 2 years ago there would have been about 2 mac stores in the Melbourne region, now we have over 20 apple dedicated stores. Now if that is a decline, my name is Arnold. Now gaming is growing with Aspyr and feral making majority of their games for mac and very few for PC. If those companies were doing badly they would have pulled out already...

And did i hear something about price... When was the last time you checked mac prices?

Games are also becoming a lot cheaper for mac's aswell, it used to be they would be equal price to PC games or cost more, now they are cheaper than PC games... (Yep definite decline [img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] )

And doesn't the fact that your like the only one on this board deffending PC mean something... Should something click and say, "Hey, all these people use mac... And like mac, where as i'm 5% and being attack by 95% of this board, i should not bag mac's and ask some question like, Why should I Switch?" and then we give you the answer why and you make up your own mind.

now before i go any further, i'm gonna leave it there, because i could go on all day. Thanks Pete.

Inactive Member TJ_the_director's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd like to hear from indie filmmakers that editied their own movie (prod cost under $100,000) and won film fest awards. What did you use? A Mac or PC?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im currently editing 'my own movie' which is
    costing (cough) under $100,000.
    Im doing it on both PC and MAC :-)
    I have a MAC at home running Premier 5.1 (!!)
    and a PC at work with Premier 5.1 on it.
    The PC is a high spec machine with an additional
    (not firewire) capture card. the capture card isnt that hot (drops frames, was a bastard to install) It runs Premier pretty well.
    The MAC is an imac with some extra RAM 64 I think, has firewire in, and doesnt run premier particularly well, although the crappy (imo) Imovie does work well, and captures beautifully.

I put it down to the specs of the machines.

apples and pears?

strewth, both get the job done, eventually.

If I had more money Id pay someone else to edit ;-)

Actually I dont think I would... but I think the point is this is a film making forum, not a tech forum, in this place I dont see what difference it makes whether you win a PC vs MAC arguament or not.
    What matters is whether it gets the job done for you, and not some vaguely conceptual ideas about what the state of the computer world *should* be in, or will be in. Unless that is your 'film making subject', and you are writing a documentary or something, and doing a little research.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 24, 2004 05:38 AM: Message edited by: eidde ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by eidde:
    I think the point is this is a film making forum, not a tech forum, in this place I dont see what difference it makes whether you win a PC vs MAC arguament or not.
    What matters is whether it gets the job done for you, and not some vaguely conceptual ideas about what the state of the computer world *should* be in, or will be in. Unless that is your 'film making subject', and you are writing a documentary or something, and doing a little research.

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 24, 2004 05:38 AM: Message edited by: eidde ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly. These arguments are an absolute waste of time.

i edit on a PC, i've always had a PC but i don't feel any particular allegiance towards them. It is just a tool that i use.

i have edited on a mac as well and wasn't exactly blown away. It seems to me that most non-linear editing software are fairly similar to use and easy to get your head round.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by MatJimMood:
    ...It is just a tool that i use....
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I feel the same way. I use PC because it's cheap, familiar and easy to use. I don't have a lot of money and Macs are expensive. I'm not so sure I'd want to expend the energy and time to learn a new computing environment like Mac, so I stick with what I know. Also, the fanaticism of many Mac users is more off-putting than convincing.

Edit: My Dell PC has never crashed, dropped frames, hung-up, etc.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 25, 2004 11:52 AM: Message edited by: nunquam ]</font>

Inactive Member untamed_aggression's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is coming from someone who isn't particularly bothered about specs and speed and shit, but whether it gets the job done or not.

I've got a PC and a MAC. When I tried to edit on the PC, it was an absolute son-of-a-bitch. Dropped frames, crashed, everything.

With my MAC, everything works beautifully.

At college, they have about 12 or 13 PC's which they used for editing. They were even worse than my PC for crashing and freezing, which eventually led to us abandoning them and editing our projects on my mate's iBook. They then got a few MAC's and now everyone get's their projects in on time.

So, in my experience, MAC's are better. But if you've got a PC that actually works, go for it.

Just don't go oppressing us with your PC-rallies.

Bill Gates IS the Adolf Hitler of the technological world, you do know that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This debate could go on for ever (I think it already has!).
    It's pointless. Like for like it makes no difference. A crap Mac or a crap PC will be crap.
    A sh1t hot PC or a sh1t hot Mac will be sh1t hot.

If you start to multitask on the machines then you'll see poorer performance, but PC's are designed for this and so may slightly come off better.

Most industry Macs are used for one thing and one thing only, which is what makes them good. Give it more than one thing to do at a time and then they may come a cropper.

Either way it makes no difference.

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2...macvspciii.htm

These guys tested the best of both worlds in respect of the area we're playing with, see for yourself which came out on top.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast