Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is the inherant problem with these topics.

a simple question which was, 'which do you prefer, Mac or PC'

and the arguement degenerates into a load of lab test and bench marks by geeks for geeks telling that Mac's are crap. Some people only interpretate tangible information.

I love my iPod Mini, design functionality and beauty are major factors. Someone at work pointed out that I could have got another make, cheaper, bigger HD etc. But he did agree he would prefer the iPod Mini cause its got an undefinable quality!

When using a Mac you can't help but realise its been designed and engineered by people, (with a sense of humour).
    If I log-in incorrectly the login pane shakes like its shaking its head. Put the machine to sleep and the light glows and dims as if breathing. If a program has a problem the icon bouncing out of the dock in an amusing way to get your attention.

Its the little touches I like.

The question is which do you prefer, a more subjective approach is needed.

You prefer PC cause technically they better
    I prefer Mac's cause they're fun & cool, and they do everything I want

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

s'funny how my 867MHz transcodes 90mins of DV footage to DVD compliant MPEG2 in just over 7 hours and it takes my friend's 2GHz PC 2 hours to transcode 8mins of DV to DVD compliant MPEG2. you do the math.

as for multitasking, X and XP are pretty even, but MacOS prior to X is pretty sucky IMO

any way, this "argument" will rage for ever, and for as long as people who haven't used OS X inisist that it's crap and that only true peace and security will be brought to the world when the terrorists stop using linux (and growing beards), Apple has gone out of business (again), the latest Microsoft OS is on every desktop, device, and vehicle.

i've made my choice. leave me to it. laugh when i come crawling back when Longhorn is released ... (pah!)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bench tests are like checking a girls CV to descide whether your gonna shag her. Or even worse getting a mate to 'BENCH TEST' her first before you have a dip.

I personally look at the body, the tits and the arse.......and in the morning I check out the face and leave.

It's about experiencing it for yourself,

Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img] oookaaaay Jungle Guy.

Peter G, my misguided friend:

I'm not going to keep going with this, but there's just a few things I'd like to touch on.

First off, I'm not a skinhead. So all that nonsense about my racist music tastes goes right out the window. If you're interested I'm listening to Beck on my 40g Ipod right now.

To clear up the my facist comment, your belief that "we should all drive on the right hand side of the road, use kilometres and own PCs because its better that way" sounds a lot more like Mussolini's philosophy than anything Marxist. One leader, one voice. El Duce!

Now, go into the middle of Dublin and head into the IFI or Filmbase. You wont find any courses in Premiere. What you will find are lots of courses in FCP and DVD Studio Pro. People talk about 5% with regards to Apple, but I reckon the percentage among industry pros would be much higher. 90% of the ones I know use macs. These are proffessional editors, casting directors, producers and directors. They make a living at this stuff. They know things.

With regards to running more than a few programs at once, this is really down to the amount of RAM installed on the system, PC or Mac. My G4 can run FCP, DVD Studio and Itunes at the same time, no probs.

As others have said, use what you want. But the higher you go up in this industry, the more mac users you will find, in Ireland anyway.

I edited my grad film on a mac. Come and have a look at the Kerry International Film Festival in October. You might be surprised.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would argue that PC or Mac is an irrelevant factor when it comes to winning festivals.

Personaly I use a PC for home stuff and work (composing music). This is for two reasons

a) The programs I need are not made for MAC
    b) Habbit
    c) No matter how good a Mac might be compared to a single PC I need RAM for making music. And I can by multiple PC's FAR cheaper than I can mac. In my current setup I have 4 PC's connected each with 2gigs of RAM. I would be a very poor man if I was to makesuch a solution with MAC's...

When film editing however I would prefere MAC over PC any day becuase FC is such a great program. I do beleive though that you can acheive the same results with just about any pro program no matter what system you run it on.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Isn't it funny how when someone presents a piece of evidence that things become 'Geeky' or give some other childish reason as why to ignore it?

I think you'll find that in the end no one cares and it's all personal opinion.

The Pro's use Mac's because they like 'em and the programmes for it not because they're supremely more powerful than PCs. What they do with their Mac's is different to what you're doing. You're doing the full sha-bang. They're editing or playing with bits and that's it. Any rendering or anything 'vast' will be controlled on the Mac but processed on a big ass server elsewhere.

Half the stuff they do isn't done on either anyway. They use bespoke bits of kit designed to do the job they need it to.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2 year old bench mark test is not evidence

I'm not interested in what some lab coats gonna tell me about current Mac's let alone 2 year old Mac's,

and why??????

cause my Mac's 5 years old in December, new hard drives same processor.

Try to understand this, in bench mark tests my Mac will lose, by a long margin.

but I capture in real time like you , I edit as fast I can and my system does not hinder this (a faster processor does not make me think faster), and while my project is rendering I don't get a stop watch out and time how fast my Mac's running, I instead take a break, go to the pub, prepare and cook a meal, walk the dog, go to the gym, take a weeks holiday, cut the grass. That's how I manage my workflow. Sure a faster processor would mean I see the end result quicker but it won't make me edit quicker, I don't think you understand where I'm coming from, everything I talk about in this topic is about the experience, not the formula.

And Mikers made a point about bench tests being irrelevant.

Answer me this:
    What do you do when your project is rendering?
    and how many people here are using a 5 year old PC or Mac?

and finally a good film is it one that's made the quickest????????

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alright my friends, here's the story...

Goto www.xvsxp.com and it tests both mac OS X and Windows XP (pro and home).

mac OS X scores 710 to windows XP pro 650 and home 610.

However the line i use the most is this "It's not what you use, it's how you use it. What you use just changes the speed in which it is done."

I don't have a problem if u use windows, i was simply stating i prefer mac's for many reasons.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Allright, let me have the finishing word on this.

Allright people, sometimes you really want something very bad, but you can't have it for a certain reason (you don't have enough money) so you've got to settle for something less, or settle for something else. In the ever going on debate with mac vs pc, mac users will always say mac, and pc users will always say pc. In a few years time, both of the formats might become the same. But right now the Mac seems to offer a more stable editing experience than the PC. BUt if you want to do other things than Editing, it seems that the pc is your thing.

I honestly couldn't care less if I own a pc or mac. I've both worked with final cut pro 3 and premiere 7, and both work fine for me. I won't save for a mac because macs cost a shitload of money, and the pc statisfies all my needs.

Take care of yourself, and each other.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When it comes to Editing I always go for a Editor and i really don;t care what system they are running. As long as they are a good editor and can deliver what i ask.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast