Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

These silly Mac vs. PC arguments really piss me off because most of the people posting are talking bollocks. You need to have used both platforms extensivley to really give an informed opinion. But at the end of the day it's peoples opinion. Just because one person likes one particular platform don't mean it's the best.

There are a couple of things I've noticed though.

1) Mac users will generally swear by their Macs and always say PCs are shit.

2) Macs crash too.

I wouldn't blame you for thinking I'm a pro PC person. But that isn't true. PCs are great and so are Macs. Both have there own strengths and weaknesses. Whatever your opinion I think it is futile to rubbish one platform over the over. Instead tell us why your choice is better, rather than saying PCs are crap 'cos the never work. That isn't constructive is it?

In an ideal world I'd have both a PC and a Mac, but unfortunately I can't afford both. And let's face it Macs are cool. Apple have made a great job of marketing. But not only that I like the fact that they are always pushing technology forward. They got rid on the floppy disk years ago. They now only use the fast SATA hard drives and they have Firewire 800 on all new systems.

One thing that really annoys me though is when people say FCP is used by 90% of professionals - BULLSHIT. There is no real industry leading editing software on either platform. The closest is Avid. But the Avid situation is very much like the Emperors New Clothes. Everyone supposedly says "Oh, Avid is what everyone is using in TV", so people do go and buy it. But it ain't the best editing software and it isn't the market leader. There is no real market leader. I work for a company that builds and supplies NLE workstations to TV, Post Production, Corporate Videographers, Education, Wedding Videographers and old folks from movie clubs - and everybody buys something different no matter what area of the market they come from. And out of every 10 systems we sell 2 are Apples. And yes we are Apple approved dealers.

Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So we're agreed that Macs are best then. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

People get pissed off too easily in regards to these topics. I always approach these things tongue in cheek, knowing full well that nothing anyone says is going to sway people from what they use one way or the other. Its just a bit of fun really. Some brands of PCs are execellent and some are crap. Its just with a mac that you know you're getting quality and a commitment to film-making.

And confirming my mac-zealot status, I've just traded in my old dell for a brand new powerbook!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by jungleguy:
    2 year old bench mark test is not evidence

Answer me this:
    What do you do when your project is rendering?
    and how many people here are using a 5 year old PC or Mac?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've seen alot of these Mac vs PC-threads, and I usually don't participate in those (it's impossible to tell people what Macs are about in forums, it's better if you can show them what the Macs actually do) but i'm glad you asked this question.

You're not the only one, Jungleguy -- My Mac is also 5 years old and doing exactly what I want in OS X - Editing,running 7 or more progs at the same time - no sweat. The PC's at my office, who are not nearly as old as my Mac, run slow and crash. I'm not stressed by working at home, my boss is [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    I prefer Macs
    Cheers

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i would say Macs over PCs but im slightly biast as well i cant use a PC i use a mac every day for my job thats the only reason i find them easier but a friend of mine who is a video editor and another who does CGI and animation both use PC's (the video editor uses an Avid suite) so really i would say which ever you find easiest to use as i dont think theres too much difference in there abilities when it comes to editing etc (as long as you dont mind you mac crashing 3 time within the hour)

Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah and puncutation is overated man i dont know why some people use that stuff but others do i guess its just each to their own but i dont have time for that stuff cos im always so busy but if i wasnt id probably read up on it some more cos it seems popular among those peoples that see themselves as smart and somedays i dunno i feel i wanna be like that too but other days im not that bothered i guess people should just write how they want and use what works for them but ill never use puncuation man i dot see the point

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Funniest. Post. Ever.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"(as long as you dont mind you mac crashing 3 time within the hour)"

What kind of Mac do u use? Not a real mac obviously... Is it a windows mac?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Generic Skinhead your a funny guy.

I'm still laughing

the crashing Mac thing does sound very fishy to me, I can't remember the last time mine crashed.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i don't even think mine has crashed...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast