Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not to start a debate...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I see alot of stills from people's work and some of them seem very nice.

But where is the Film?? Is everyone shooting video?? If you are shooting video what is the motivation??

This is not to start a Film Vs. Video debate so don't strat one. This is simply to find out what you are working with and why...

Good Luck
    PS--I am a die-hard film shooter but shoot what you can when you can.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

But where is the Film?? Is everyone shooting video?? If you are shooting video what is the motivation??
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's usually a forced decision related totally to the cost.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yup, i'd agree with that.

i forget the exact budget of the Crooked Features shoot last June, but it was in the region of ?10K (from the producer's savings and hammering my credit card - it still hasn't recovered!)

now, you might say "but for ?10K you could shoot film"

but the DV tapes cost ?20. the rest of the money was essentially spent on kit, logistics, catering, locations, insurance, props, accomadation, bribes and everything else we could to make the experience for everyone involved as pleasant as possible.

editing those DV tapes, because I'm doing it myself (for better or for worse) essentially costs me nothing but my time since I already have kit at my disposal and am familiar with a digital workflow to DVD.

shooting DV ensures a finished product. if i'd shot film i expect the cans would still be in the fridge.

Inactive Member TJ_the_director's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yes, its a cost thing with me too. Besides, much of my movie is being created in the editing suite so the simple camera-&gt;firewire-&gt;Final Cut Pro route is a no brainer decision for me.

Inactive Member untamed_aggression's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yep, it's all about the moolah.

I have a film camera which I do intend to use at some point, but having no experience with film whatsoever, it's gonna cost me a fair bit just so I can get up to speed with the technique so I'm not wasting film on set.

So, anyone wants to send me some 16mm film, I'm open to donations [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by TJ_the_director:
    Besides, much of my movie is being created in the editing suite
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Please elaborate.

Don't you know that by making a detailed budget and operating as a private limited company you stand to save money? If you operate a PLC to make your film through you can claim the VAT (consumer sales tax) back. That?s 17.5% in the UK and 21% here. With that in mind, you'd have to be crazy to operate as a private individual. Also, your country might have special tax incentives for film/ art that you can only avail of as a PLC (for instance, under section 481 in this country 80% of an investors return is not tax liable. Also, if you are a director, writer or any other kind of creative you don't have to pay any income tax, which is why bono still lives here). On top of all this, if you?re irresponsible and the whole enterprise goes tits up you only have limited liability. Your creditors can?t get at your personal assets (only the company assets).

I would say that if your budget is any greater then Stg ?5,000 or so you?d be foolish not to operate as a PLC.

Putting the whole thing on your credit card is a very stupid move. Scary APRs.

Inactive Member TJ_the_director's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I understand what you're getting at. I own a small media-related business so I've been deducting the cost of cameras/computers/movie equipment I'm using that way.

Since I have no other financial backers, setting up a separtate corporation would not be of much use unless I plan to distribute the film myself -- I'll worry about that later. I haven't been using VISA either! [img]smile.gif[/img] Its pay as I go.

What I meant by "creating the movie in the editing suite" is to use the power of editing to tell the story rather than big or elaborate (and expensive) set-ups and/or scenes. Does this make any sense?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's a cost thing for me too.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's cheap and it's easy. I wouldn't know how to handle film (could learn of course) and wouldnt know where to get film camera's either, other than rent them for $$$$ at certain places.

And I'm a bloody amateur for christs sake. I like creating short movies with the ease that comes with DV. I don't have a DOP or whatever, and I'm already doing production/directing/shouting/camera at once. If I have to get my mind on the film as well it would be a pain in the bullocks.

Nah, I'd should film if I'd actually show my film in good places, and if I'd be able to get a budget over a few grand.

But as long as I'm an amateur, I'm going to enjoy the things that come with it, and that's no one minding an amateur shooting with miniDV.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Peter_G:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by TJ_the_director:
    Besides, much of my movie is being created in the editing suite
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Please elaborate.

Don't you know that by making a detailed budget and operating as a private limited company you stand to save money? If you operate a PLC to make your film through you can claim the VAT (consumer sales tax) back. That?s 17.5% in the UK and 21% here. With that in mind, you'd have to be crazy to operate as a private individual. Also, your country might have special tax incentives for film/ art that you can only avail of as a PLC (for instance, under section 481 in this country 80% of an investors return is not tax liable. Also, if you are a director, writer or any other kind of creative you don't have to pay any income tax, which is why bono still lives here). On top of all this, if you?re irresponsible and the whole enterprise goes tits up you only have limited liability. Your creditors can?t get at your personal assets (only the company assets).

I would say that if your budget is any greater then Stg ?5,000 or so you?d be foolish not to operate as a PLC.

Putting the whole thing on your credit card is a very stupid move. Scary APRs.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">operating as a PLC doesn't magically make money appear however.

the APR on my card is 0% until May.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast