Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Given that STF has produced shorts only, out of interest how many other short films have you seen?

They take some finding but they are out there- many of them.

Before I give my opinion on them just wondered what anyone else thought of 'shorts' and whether or not STF follows their general trends?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I have seen a few shorts from other film-makers I know personally, both local and national.

However, the majority of shorts I've seen on TV, places like Channel 4's The Shooting Gallery.

But to be honest, I didn't like most of the shorts I've seen to date.

For every one gem there's about 10 lumps of coal.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I also tend to not enjoy the majority of shorts I see. They tend to fit into a broad catagory of being artistic for the sake of it... which is a pet hate of mine. Paticularly as they shoot these 5-minute pieces of crap on 35mm and they have no meaning, thay aren't films- just literally motion pictures- perhaps belonging hung up in an art gallery instead of being watched by huge audiences.

Shorts are pretty much unsellable. But I don't see that as a reason for them not to be 'films', with plot and characters and enjoyable. Most of the ones branded experimental just aren't- there just more of the same old implied artistic shite!

I know I'm ranting, but some of the bollocks I see (mainly the ones funded by the Film Council) make my blood boil!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

What makes MY blood boil is the fact that if you want any sort of funding to make a short, you need to fulfil a set of political agenda.

If you want to make a film about the homeless, about disabled people, about ethnic minoritys or illiterate lesbians, then funding bodies seem to want to throw money at you. But if you just want to tell a decent, slightly original story (i.e. the sort of things we make here at STF Towers [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) then basically, you're on your own.

Do you think we've had got funding for Video Daze 2? Doubt it somehow...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Have you ever tried using any of your completed films as evidence that your worthy of any funding?