Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

First movie to scare me in a long long time. I'm talking 10 years at least. I'm also talking about the classy American version and not the inferior Asian version (even though I know that was made first).

As much as I hate to admit it, the American re-make is a LOT better. I remember watching this movie until 2am. It left me so scared at the end that I waited until sunrise (5-6am) to sleep.

Brilliantly directed, beautiful cinematography and a story that had me anticipating where and how it would end. And what more can you say about the twist? Brilliant.

Anyone else seen it?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Got free tickets to see it when it first came out.

I had seen the original Japanese 'Ring' beforehand and was thoroughly shit-up by it, so I almost dreaded a remake.
    I have to admit though, Gore Verbinski did a great job of remaking an already established horror flick. At first I was thinking that it was going to be a straight translation job but it definitely improved on some weak points in the Japanese version. I found the scene on the ferry with the horse particularly disturbing.

For those not familiar with the original - the ending is one of the most frightening things ever committed to celluloid, with loads of jerky footage shot in reverse and nightmarish sound design - this point in the remake I found a tad disappointing because of the CGI elements.
    Overall though, a great horror film - and a rarity in these pap riddled times of so-called post-modern horror.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As ever, Hollywood go and totally fuck up a remake. This one wasn't SO bad, but still nothing like as good as the original. It's a shame that the Hollywood machine can't think up their own ideas anymore, instead of ripping off and generally ruining other people's good work.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by asloki:
    Got free tickets to see it when it first came out.

I had seen the original Japanese 'Ring' beforehand and was thoroughly shit-up by it, so I almost dreaded a remake.
    I have to admit though, Gore Verbinski did a great job of remaking an already established horror flick. At first I was thinking that it was going to be a straight translation job but it definitely improved on some weak points in the Japanese version. I found the scene on the ferry with the horse particularly disturbing.

For those not familiar with the original - the ending is one of the most frightening things ever committed to celluloid, with loads of jerky footage shot in reverse and nightmarish sound design - this point in the remake I found a tad disappointing because of the CGI elements.
    Overall though, a great horror film - and a rarity in these pap riddled times of so-called post-modern horror.
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I also thought the American version improved and made clear on some points that the Asian version didn't. I didn't really dig the whole mind-reading ability the characters in Ringu had.

The end "TV scene" in Ringu is scarier without the CGI and because Sadako is a lot scarier than Samara. Still, "The Ring" was great and there are so many things you noticve on repeated viewings that you don't notice the first time.

BTW, have you seen Ringu 2?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have both Ringu's on tape but haven't got round to watching the 2nd one yet. They were both on Channel 4 last year some time.

I think I'll have a look at it tomorrow.