Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Vinnie Recordings

Groovissimo

Vinnie has played on hundreds of albums...

Here are a couple of my favs:

M 2 - Marcus Miller (2001)
    Renee Olstead - Big Band drumming
    Brand New Day - Sting
    Motown Two - Michael McDonald
    Two against Nature - Steely Dan (2000)

Also, great rhythms by the Vinster on CDs by Joni Mitchell, Barbra Steisand, C?line Dion, Faith Hill, etc

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.sting "soul cages" live video
    2.3rd matinee "all the way home" amazing feel, and stomping on hi hat.
    3.bootleg of alan pasqua live @ catualina with patituciand vence
    4.Secrets
    5.live video with Chick Corea at the blue note in JAPAN...
    ps. Hey Erskine, it was fun seeing you play at a Clipper/Lakers Basketball game about 4 or 5 years back. Nice treat.
    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Sammy J

DEENO

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 22, 2005 06:22 AM: Message edited by: ELECTROVISION ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Klemme, thanks for calling attention to Faith Hill's "When the Lights Go Down" DVD!! It's yet another testament to Vinnie's versatility! (If you like that, check out SHeDaisy's "Whole Shebang" CD. Vinnie's fills are sick, even on a COUNTRY record!)

Speaking of which, can anyone tell what kind of ride Vinnie is playing on that DVD??? (Perhaps John DeChristopher would be able to help?!) It's a K Custom, but I can't tell what kind. Zildjian's bio page for Vinnie says he's playing a 22" K. Custom Medium Ride, but I know he's got trillions of cymblas to choose from for every situation.

I ask because I'm having a hard time finding a happy medium between my 20" K. Ride, which I use for lighter, jazzy situations, and my 20" K. Custom Dry Ride, which I typically use for blues and heavier rock, since it's a lot heavier. I'd like something inbetween that has the stick definition of the K. Custom Dry, but with a bit more spread for crashing. Any ideas???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Top 5 but in no particular order:

FRANK ZAPPA- SHUT UP N' PLAY YER GUITAR
    STEVE TAVAGLIONE- BLUE TAV (One of Vinnie's favorite recordings as well)
    VINNIE COLAIUTA- VINNIE COLAIUTA
    KARIZMA- DOCUMENT
    JEFF RICHMAN- HIMALAYA

So many more, tomorrow i could come up with a different list.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I believe that ride is a 21 K Custom Special Dry ride.

Some of them have very good definition but they are nothing at all like the K Custom Dry ride so be careful. Something between a K and a K Custom Dry would be a K Custom Medium ride. You'll have to play a number of them as usual to find the right amount of wash and ping.

The Vinnie stuff I enjoy listening to and watching the most is:

1. Warren Cucurrullo - Thanks 2 Frank
    2. Allan Holdsworth - Secrets
    3. Sting - Live in Japan DVD 1994
    4. Chick Corea - Live at the Blue Note DVD
    5. Vinnie/Gary Willis - Live Bootleg

If the criteria was just amazing drumming with no regard for music, the the list changes. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

1. Vinnie Clinic Video 1988 Pasic
    2. Buell Neidlinger - Big Drum
    3. BRMSC Video
    4. Any other late 80's clinic boots
    5. Dog Cheese bootlegs

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

chick corea - live at the blue note (astounding!)

frank zappa - shut up 'n play yer guitar (polyrythyms, polyrythyms, polyrythyms)

jing chi - (first one)some great originality (groovewise)

sting - ten sumnors tales (taste, taste, taste the smoothness of the grooves! yes!)

geag mathieson and friends - live at the baked potato 2000 (i could not get this one out the cd player for several months!)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Canarsie:

Vinnie and Robben Ford could sit in a studio without instruments and not make a sound for 45 minutes and it would still be better than most recordings on the Top 40 charts right now. (An Ashlee Simpson joke right now would be far too easy...)

...Prepare to be sickened, amazed, horrified and inspired, all at the same time.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    DeeP_FRieD:

5. Buell Neidlinger Quartet - Big Drum

All of these albums made me drop a bomb in my pants the first time I heard them.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    Derek DeFields:

If the criteria was just amazing drumming with no regard for music, the the list changes
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">These were some hilarious statements. Makes it all the more worth while being in here [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I might even add [to Canarsie's 1st quote that I quoted here, at top of this post], ..."& one of them could break wind, fortissimo..." [img]wink.gif[/img]

No need to add to the list. You guys covered all the bases per the question.

I think someone in here has said that they have recordings of VC when he did the Yellowjackeyts gig. Even tho another of my faves Will is the man for that gig, it'd be interesting to here VC w them. [& altho I have yet to have heard any of it, I hear Baylor does a fine job now w them AW]. I did get that mp3 boot someone posted a little while back [VC-YJs] - a rather large, belated THANKS for that AW...

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 20, 2005 09:21 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Zappa: Tinseltown Rebellion
    Zappa: Joe's Garage

IMO, nothing Vinne has done has matched those two recordings for balls-out drumming.

Honorable mention to WIld Things Run Fast, Joni Mitchell...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wow.. great pics all... there is a song i believe called story teller on john patittuci self titled album, soft play with an accent on a china that about brings me to tears, also sergio mendes "oceano" there is a track called puzzle of hearts in 6. his phrasing and the way he works around the baseline is what sticks in my mind, alan holdworth "wardencliff tower" vinnie is on one track and of course genius, also the sting demolition man soundtrac i highly recommend, its live from early 90's, i also agree with the she daisy note from above, its still vinnie but yet country... check out the last track, vinnie takes it out. also fill her up from sting brand new day.. excellent message, vinnie comes in on the ride with a half time pulse over the top of a choir and then begins trading chops with a piano in 7, i could go on and on as we all could. hopefully i added a couple ya all didnt think of.. and before i forget, check out commodores night shift.... just listen to the highhat work in the background... yep its vinnie ... what a groove....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast