Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Canarsie:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> okay, how 'bout the worst Vinnie album.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was considering a new post for that!! I think two or three CD's I purchased that I was ridiculously let down by were:

Holdsworth: Wardenclyfe Tower:
    I KNOW, I KNOW!! The solos are PHENOMENAL, but that female vocal??? What the....?

Jennifer Warnes: Famous Blue Raincoat
    I hope there are no big Leonard Cohen fans here, but I was bored to TEARS with this record! It even includes Robben Ford and my second hero: Stevie Ray Vaughan, and it STILL didn't sit well with me....

Various: Tribute to Weather Report
    ANOTHER CD where Vinnie's only on ONE track, and is doing cymbal overdubs or something!

Frank Gambale: Thunder From Down Under
    One word: ick.

(Sorry if I've stepped on any toes here, they're just my opinions!!!)
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have to agree w ya on almost all..."okay, how 'bout the worst Vinnie album" - I might have to nominate Big Drum for that...altho the disc title is appropo... [img]wink.gif[/img]
    Has anyone heard that "Animals" recording yet? I wonder how that sounds...

About the WR trib - too much drum machines sounds, yet they tout real beeyatchin' drummers - too smooth-jazzy for me, & not WR enouygh. It's OK, but too "safe-to-sell" for me. Big let-down. Like SOME of those Cmas lite-jazz recordgs. Having Vinnie or Weckl on your recording to do "cym overdubs or something" is like having Michaelangelo doing the paint "cutting-in" in the corners of the Sistine Chapel's closets [instead of the ceiling]... [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img]

FG-TFDU - great players & playing; VC does some [very] few cool things, but some mediocre borderline cheese tunes at best. Sorry. & I love FG's gtr playing.

AH's WT...Ah, well, what can you say about fusion-jazz vox...you can either relate to em or you def don't. I was weened on pop, rock, & r&b/soul/motown. When I first heard Paul Wms w AH back in the day, I couldn't get into it. Nowadays I can deal w it. Jazz-style fusion singing. They prob know a lot more about the more advanced chord structure than many pop artists [but not all, of course]. But that still may not make for great singing for everyone!

Her voc on WT-ATC doesn't "su**," but they're def not going to win a grammy anytime soon because of mass tastes. It's not very many's cup o tea. I just don't let them distract me from one of the sickest recorded drum performances in a tune in 3 [or 6 [img]wink.gif[/img] ], evar... [img]cool.gif[/img] JMHO AW, of course...

I believe [if i rem corr] there are vox on only that 1 tune, ATC, off AH-WT...the whole album, playing wise, though, is a def lesson in instrumental-fusion playg ability, & an absolute must for the student of serious musicianship...whether you like the fusion tunes or not, the playg by all the musos is absolutely stupendous. Don't let the 1 voc tune dissuade you. VC's perf, AWA Husband's & Wackerman's, is worth the "price of admission" alone. [img]eek.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 23, 2005 03:54 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Can't stand vocals in fusion. Dunno why.
    This has kept me from fully enjoying some of Holdsworth's stuff with Rowanne Mark, Bruford's stuff with Annette Peacock or Chick's stuff with... [img]graemlins/gulp.gif[/img] ...Gayle...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL [img]wink.gif[/img]

I can def relate to what you guys are saying in this area.

Some of you guys who're in a relationship - SURELY some of those who are so can at least understand what's going on there [in that last one]...keep the li'l lady happy, esp if she has any musical tendencies... [img]wink.gif[/img] & also, otherwise, there might not be any dessert after dinner... OK - J/K ONLY!! Oh, dear, I just KNOW i might catch it from someone <s>who can't take a little joke</s> for that... [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 23, 2005 04:43 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by fuseU1:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Canarsie:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> okay, how 'bout the worst Vinnie album.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was considering a new post for that!! I think two or three CD's I purchased that I was ridiculously let down by were:

Holdsworth: Wardenclyfe Tower:
    I KNOW, I KNOW!! The solos are PHENOMENAL, but that female vocal??? What the....?

Jennifer Warnes: Famous Blue Raincoat
    I hope there are no big Leonard Cohen fans here, but I was bored to TEARS with this record! It even includes Robben Ford and my second hero: Stevie Ray Vaughan, and it STILL didn't sit well with me....

Various: Tribute to Weather Report
    ANOTHER CD where Vinnie's only on ONE track, and is doing cymbal overdubs or something!

Frank Gambale: Thunder From Down Under
    One word: ick.

(Sorry if I've stepped on any toes here, they're just my opinions!!!)
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have to agree w ya on almost all..."okay, how 'bout the worst Vinnie album" - I might have to nominate Big Drum for that...altho the disc title is appropo... [img]wink.gif[/img]
    Has anyone heard that "Animals" recording yet? I wonder how that sounds...

About the WR trib - too much drum machines sounds, yet they tout real beeyatchin' drummers - too smooth-jazzy for me, & not WR enouygh. It's OK, but too "safe-to-sell" for me. Big let-down. Like SOME of those Cmas lite-jazz recordgs. Having Vinnie or Weckl on your recording to do "cym overdubs or something" is like having Michaelangelo doing the paint "cutting-in" in the corners of the Sistine Chapel's closets [instead of the ceiling]... [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img]

FG-TFDU - great players & playing; VC does some [very] few cool things, but some mediocre borderline cheese tunes at best. Sorry. & I love FG's gtr playing.

AH's WT...Ah, well, what can you say about fusion-jazz vox...you can either relate to em or you def don't. I was weened on pop, rock, & r&b/soul/motown. When I first heard Paul Wms w AH back in the day, I couldn't get into it. Nowadays I can deal w it. Jazz-style fusion singing. They prob know a lot more about the more advanced chord structure than many pop artists [but not all, of course]. But that still may not make for great singing for everyone!

Her voc on WT-ATC doesn't "su**," but they're def not going to win a grammy anytime soon because of mass tastes. It's not very many's cup o tea. I just don't let them distract me from one of the sickest recorded drum performances in a tune in 3 [or 6 [img]wink.gif[/img] ], evar... [img]cool.gif[/img] JMHO AW, of course...

I believe [if i rem corr] there are vox on only that 1 tune, ATC, off AH-WT...the whole album, playing wise, though, is a def lesson in instrumental-fusion playg ability, & an absolute must for the student of serious musicianship...whether you like the fusion tunes or not, the playg by all the musos is absolutely stupendous. Don't let the 1 voc tune dissuade you. VC's perf, AWA Husband's & Wackerman's, is worth the "price of admission" alone. [img]eek.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ February 23, 2005 03:54 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font></font>
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I picked up the 'Animals' cd a couple of months ago and i'm enjoying it very much ! Vinnie plays on 4 tunes and does some really nice pyroVinnetics on 'Aligators' ! Each song represents an animal, and is played and arranged as a musical portrait of each exotic animal.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here is my 5.

1. Sting-Ten summoners tales
    2. Randy waldman- Wigged out
    3. Frank zappa- Joe's Garage
    4. Alan Holdsworth- Secrets. (spokes is awesome)
    5. Vinnie Colaiuta-Vinnie Colaiuta

this is in no particular order.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Thx, Tav. I was debating on getting it [Animals]...
    http://www.frankmacchia.net/content/view/19

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 25, 2005 01:56 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>

Inactive Member BennyAndTheSkins's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Has anyone ever posted the PASIC 1988 clinic?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's a good question, Benny, [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img] and someone really should hook a brother up.

Since everybody's got the studio stuff prioritized more-or-less correctly (i.e. it matches my list) then how about 5 Favorite Bootlegs in no particular order:

a. Yellowjackets (Blue Note Vegas)
    b. Holdsworth (Florida '89)
    c. Garfield, Pena & Colaiuta (LaVee Lee or Baked Potato)
    d. Corea, Patitucci & Colaiuta + horn section (Blue Note NYC)
    e. Dog Cheese "BOOM"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234