Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing Loss or Ringing in the Ears (Tinnitus)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Vdrummer:
    had the exams, got the I.E.M.'s, etc, not cheap (around $900 for the exam and Sensaphonic molds, and dual driver IEM) but hopefully I can write it off.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Always fell strange to see that you have to pay so much for you health [img]eek.gif[/img] , here in France even the most poor can have the best examen for free

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Huh? [img]graemlins/sure.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cheers for the tips Andy V, very informative.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 20, 2005 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Dazzler ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

With the popularity of Apple's iPod, I predict many cases of hearing loss in 4 or 5 years.

Groovissimo

Hey you guys, thanks for so much input on this subject.

Dazzler, I will ask Erskoman about Tinnitus.

If you happen to be reading this post Peter, how do you deal with this constant ringing ? I've had this for the last 15 years and it seems to be worse late at night.

I heard that This ringing comes from the brain and not the ears.
    This European drummer I met told me that in his Country, they treat this condition with therapy and try and diminish the ringing.

What is your reading on Tinnitus ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll try and explain the best of my ability? or else just use Google [img]smile.gif[/img]

But in your Ear-Canal they're small thin layers of hair, that reacts opun impact from high amount of sounds. They can be affect so they fall down and will need to get stretched up again. The signal they send to the brain is what you will hear as the ringing noise. They need to be repaired, and that's what their request is. If these hairlayers are too stresses they can crack without reviving the loss, and therefor the ringing will be permanent.

Tinnitus can come by much more than just loudness.

My father used to take an antibiotic agent, which were extremely effective. Doctors weren't aware of the long term effects, but one of them were Tinnitus, and my father is suffering from it even up til this day.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Klemme,

The hair cells (specifically the outer hair cells) that you are referring are actually located in the cochlea and surronded in fluid, not the ear canal. At high enough sound levels, significant metabolic changes may cause a temporary hearing loss that may return 8 hours to 3 days after the sound exposure. In extremely high sound levels, irreversible structural damage may occur to the outer haircells and the supporting structures within the cochlea. The result may be a severe to profound hearing loss. I saw one guy who suddenly loss the hearing in one ear. I asked him what happen. He said he was drunk and stuck his head in one of the mains (PA speakers) at a loud rock concert. His hearing never returned in that ear.

Dazz, you're welcome!

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 21, 2005 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Andy Vermiglio ]</font>

Groovissimo

Here is an interesting description of Tinnitus...

Pawel J. Jastreboff, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Emory University
    Atlanta, Georgia

Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) is a common problem, affecting about 17% of the general population around the world (44 million people in the USA). It causes significant suffering in about 4% of the general population (10 million in the USA). Typically patients are told "to learn to live with it." The development of a neurophysiological model of tinnitus (Jastreboff, P.J. Phantom auditory perception (tinnitus): mechanisms of generation and perception. Neurosci.Res.:221-254, 1990) and based on it a new clinical approach have created a totally new treatment for tinnitus that results in significant improvement for more that 80% of the patients treated at our center (Jastreboff, P.J., Gray, W.C., Gold, S.L. Neurophysiological approach to tinnitus patients. Am.J.Otology, 17:236-240, 1996). This method, Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT), uses a combination of low level, broad-band noise and counseling to achieve the habituation of tinnitus, that is the patient is no longer aware of their tinnitus, except when they focus their attention on it, and even then tinnitus is not annoying or bothersome.

Tinnitus is accompanied by hyperacusis in about 40% of the cases. Hyperacusis is a decreased tolerance of sound and can be a serious problem. Some patients experience hyperacusis without tinnitus.? Tinnitus Retraining Therapy can restore totally or partially the normal level of sensitivity to sound.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

donu,

Just a clarification. The exam was $100 or $125, I think. The molded dual driver in-ear-monitors were the bulk of the cost.

Brad

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Vdrummer:
    donu,

Just a clarification. The exam was $100 or $125, I think. The molded dual driver in-ear-monitors were the bulk of the cost.

Brad
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok [img]wink.gif[/img] , it was more a general reflection about the fact that many poor people in USA have to pay to be treated while here in France everybody can be treated rich or poor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast