Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 93

Thread: Dom....dom..dom

  1. #31
    Inactive Member matricks's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2002
    Posts
    986
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No one ever said that Mike Krzyzewski was a bad college basketball coach because he was a mediocre college player. Dom is a coach, not so much of a player... there is a difference. Look at Dennis Chambers, that guy couldn't explain the drums to a group of students if he layed it on their foreheads and let it wiggle... some people are players, some are coaches, some are both; however, just because you are one and not the other, doesn't diminish the contribution that you make in your area.

  2. #32
    Inactive Member matricks's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2002
    Posts
    986
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh, and regarding Fuse and his Fuseisms... if you let it soak in and give it time, it is a good thing [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    ... You will start to see things in binary code and stuff like that [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

  3. #33
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry about the abbreviations guys. It's just that if i say something like "double bass player" so many times in a post, it becomes ridiculous to type it out fully each time. [DBP]. I usually do this relevant to what I'm talking about within the same paragraph, & I've usually just "said" what i abbreviate within the same parag, if not the same line. Other than that [OTT], it's usually just the obvious stuff - ATT [at the time], BTW [by the way], AWA [as well as], NTM [not to mention...], BFB [Burning for Buddy], DF [dom famularo], BFD [big freeking deal], stuff like that. When you've typed as many answers as I, you gotta do somehting!

    I think Riddim & chris perra said some good things. While Dom is by no means an influence of mine, I can understand where he's coming from, what he's doing, & why he's doing it. I did appreciate him back in the early-to-mid 80s. Usually I try not to be too nasty or condescending. & i usually try to find pros AWA cons to point out, if i'm going to point out cons.

    I find no personal need to trash him. I just know that if I were asked to play w a BB [Big Band!] on the BFB disc or vid, & I wasn't a BB/swing drummer, I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea. But I guess they figured a guy like Neil should play on it because of the simple drawing power of his name...

    Pocket says it best: eat the watermelon, spit out the seeds. [If you don't like melon, then just avoid it altogether.] ...& sometimes peeps have to put salt on their melon!

    There are other cats out there, NTM cats on this forum that I'd rather listen to or draw inspiration from per to where my head is at now. But, like I said a long time ago, he's the "Anthony Robbins" [motivational speaker] of Drumming. OK by me.

    Dang...[in background right now]: Teddy Campbell & the bassist are kickin' some butt in the Am Mydol house-band's cover of David Cassidy's "I Think I Love You," Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time," & Chaka Khan's "Ain't Nobody Does It Better"...

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 23, 2005 09:59 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>

  4. #34
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thing is, dom is almost more of a celeb and probably makes more money than the pro drummers he'd love to play like. The pro drummers we actually respect. The pro drummers that should be earning shitloads more than dom. Well we've discussed what the vinnies and gadds are earning, but who really knows. But still, I apologise for being somewhat negative in this topic.

  5. #35
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ah, I could use some of that watermelon!

    I might have misunderstood this, BUT...
    Simple guidance, don't listen to him play with a band!!!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is never a good endorsement for an educator teaching about drums. If he was a hand teacher, more like Chapin, then he would stand in that box.

    I think the sub argument is, "If you can't, teach!" Now, I don't believe this a true maxim for all things, but when it comes to music, you should be very competent. It is a real credit to the man for getting as far as he has. He must have a deep inner confidence in some type of ability he possesses.

  6. #36
    Inactive Member Schreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 10th, 2004
    Posts
    122
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thank you for explaining your language a little bit, FuseU1.
    my english could be a little better and that's the fact,
    why I CANNOT read your posts, although I think,
    I miss something.

    but now, I have the key for the entrance, to share your mindproducts.

    I learned the following combinations.


    DBP
    OTT
    ATT
    BTW
    AWA
    NTM
    BFB
    DF
    BFD
    BB

    I hope, you don't complicate your system by using four letters or more.

    [TYFRMP]

    thank You for reading my post

    [SIYUN]

    Sorry, if You understood nothing

  7. #37
    Inactive Member sjj123's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    328
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    couldn't explain the drums to a group of students if he layed it on their foreheads and let it wiggle...


    now thats funny!

  8. #38
    Inactive Member BennyAndTheSkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2002
    Posts
    311
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "if I were asked to play w a BB [Big Band!] on the BFB disc or vid, & I wasn't a BB/swing drummer, I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea. But I guess they figured a guy like Neil should play on it because of the simple drawing power of his name..."

    Gee, could it also be the fact that he financed the WHOLE project out of his own pocket?

    Yeah, I guess they had to let him play on the album......

  9. #39
    Inactive Member FuseU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2002
    Posts
    3,631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OH yeah...very true, that...exactly my point... [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Big Phat Kudos to him for that...AWA the Rush accomplishments back in the day. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

    Like I've said before, thanks go out to him - he's one of, if not the main reason I got into drumming in the first place. [img]cool.gif[/img]

    ------

    Ha ha, good one, Schreck [img]wink.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 24, 2005 03:58 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>

  10. #40
    Inactive Member mja61's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2001
    Posts
    376
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A lot of good points. I think some of the criticism is warranted, but how many of you wouldn't like to have some of his chops at your disposal (especially that double bass speed)? C'mon.....be honest!

    I've seen some clips of him where he's really kickin' it, and as was said earlier, it makes me want to practice. I think that alone is a valuable contribution to the drumming community.

    There is a tape floating around of Dom from the mid-90's that is pretty good. I caught it while hanging out at Throroughbred Music when I was in Florida a few years back. There is also some good footage of Weckl playing along to some "Hard Wired" drum karaoke on that same tape. It was like a Thoroughbred Music Drumfest or something....anyone have it???

    The game-show host vibe is a little unsettling, but I've met some "big-name" guys who were a pain in the ass. At least Dom tries to be positive.

    BTW, anyone know what happened between Dom and Vic Firth? All of a sudden, his sticks were dropped from the catalog, and his online lessons are gone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •