Did he stop after the break, look at the camera and laugh and smile a big shark-like smile then say something about the German grip?
Gotta give the Domster props for doing what he does...
Well I was having a discussion with my drum teacher the other day about the playing ability of Dom Famularo. We each agreed that he seems to lack this, and the ability to play along with others. Then my teacher mentioned a video that he saw of him that demonstrated his lack of skill. I don't have the video, but I would definitely like to see it. Its Dom playing with a big band (I don't think it's the Buddy Rich Big Band). I believe its him playing with a college band. Well apparently he completely loses time with the band after a short drum break, and then gradually gets worse. But if anybody has this clip I would greatly appreciate it.
Did he stop after the break, look at the camera and laugh and smile a big shark-like smile then say something about the German grip?
Gotta give the Domster props for doing what he does...
I loves Dom's attitude and possitive energy, but he's actually the laughing stock of all professional drummers. He can't keep time. A drummers number one goal in life is to groove and keep time. He's incapable of both of these. He can't read, and his resume is completely false. I don't have to give him props for playing rolls around the drums and with his feet.
I believe he's lucky to be making a living having anything to do with the drums. And again, I like the guy, but I speak the truth about his drumming. He has NEVER played with a real band, and when he sits in, it's a disaster. I saw the first BR Memorial show, and OMG...he was a mess. Gadd and Vinnie were better than the video in LA believe it or not. WOW..
Maybe you are measuring him with the wrong yard stick.
Maybe his goal is not to keep time?
(this is your definition and needs to be justified. eg. classical percussionists don't often keep time but use the drums to create crescendos and as sound effects)
I think Dom's goal is to motivate other drummers and in this he is one of the great motivational musicians in the world.
Trying to find a video of someone messing up shows up the less healthy side of the creative process I think...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd have to say that you're missing the point Andy. If Dom is supposed to be an ambassador for the world of drumming and a top educator who travels the world emparting his drumming knowledge then it is absolutlely imperative that he has the very basic of drumming skills down, and that naturally includes keeping good time. He is NOT a classical percussionist, he is a drum kit player.Originally posted by Andy Edwards:
Maybe you are measuring him with the wrong yard stick.
Maybe his goal is not to keep time?
(this is your definition and needs to be justified. eg. classical percussionists don't often keep time but use the drums to create crescendos and as sound effects)
I think Dom's goal is to motivate other drummers and in this he is one of the great motivational musicians in the world.
Trying to find a video of someone messing up shows up the less healthy side of the creative process I think...
There is absolutely no excuse for someone in his position to be making schoolboy errors. All the videos I have seen of his playing, are just nasty. His touch and feel on the kit are shocking. He has no concept of a sound and simply 'gets things down' so he can rattle them off in clinics.
I've said it before when we have discussed Dom. Why is he not on albums? Who does he play with? Where can I ssee/hear him performing with a band? If he is a top drum educator, then whay do other musicians not want to use him as their drummer?
I don't know why he gets those props for being a double bass wizard.
Joe Franco is a double bass wizard, and a fine recorded drummer...I recently saw some of his video and he is solid and musical, in that genre, of course.
I wouldn't mind seeing Dom play in a big band context, he couldn't be any worse than Wil Calhoun or even, sad to say it, Neil...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1 - JF is a good DB player...& Scott Travis is a very good DBP....but Virg & Mang are "DB Wizards"... [img]wink.gif[/img]Originally posted by benrand:
I don't know why he gets those props for being a double bass wizard.
1 - Joe Franco is a double bass wizard, and a fine recorded drummer...I recently saw some of his video and he is solid and musical, in that genre, of course.
2 - I wouldn't mind seeing Dom play in a big band context, he couldn't be any worse than Wil Calhoun or even, sad to say it, Neil...
2 - Just pop on the BFB disc, select Duke's Cotton Tail, & imagine DF playg... [img]wink.gif[/img]
I don't listen to NP, DF, or WC for jazz/swing. That, to quote Bill O'Reilly, would be ridiculous. Of the 3, I think WC is the most enjoyable, JMO. Very raw, b*llsy, & energetic in Colour. His fave drummer is Elvin, BTW, go figure.
While I prefer not to bag on DF, because I think he's very proactive, which is a great aspect over soupuss teachers, for beginners & possibly intermed's, & for sparking interest in the set...but Para & Dazz make a strong point...
Besides, he is not a BB drummer. He made the same err as NP in this manner...
NP's "deal" was Rush. Back in "their day," he owned that gig. I don't compare him to the likes of VC, DW, Gadd, or Omar because, quit frankly, that just wouldn't be reasonable [or fair]. Completely different ballpark, entirely, to say the least [Minors AOT Major League].
If it were me, I wouldve just produced the BFB thing, & left at that. [img]redface.gif[/img] But indeed, it wasn't ME... ;c)
I don't listen to him much anymore, but he was solely responsible for my drumming [besides, I listened to him puhh-lenty during much of the 80s, as a pleasant alternative to 3/4's of the cr*p on the radio ATT]. For that, I give him GREAT kudos.
Besides, Rush from the 80s was still better than, perhaps not all, but at least 3/4's of the cr*p on the radio today.
BTW - side note - i realize this was a DF topic, but relevsant to the later posts - i got to see crossover-country[-rock/blues] superstar Travis Tritt's touring band soundcheck to a cover of Red Barchetta...sounded better than the orig...;cp
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 22, 2005 03:38 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>
I understand what you are saying Andy. Dom is very good at motivational speaking about drumming. But, when I watch him play I feel a complete lack of motivation because he may have a few cool licks, but IMO there is nothing inspiring about his playing at all. This is precisely why I don't really pay much attention to him. I just want to see this video to have a laugh, and I'm sure others wouldn't mind either.
And also, timing is everything on drums. A player who cannot keep time doesn't deserve to be given so much credit. (I'm speaking of when it comes to playing with others)
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 22, 2005 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Graza ]</font>
Is his time really that bad?! Or is it that you guys are referring to his "feel within the genre"...
Of course, I haven't seen nor heard him since the 80s, he "opened" for Cob on a clinic tour...he sounded OK then for just set performance [I really didn't have any "Weckl Ears" then [img]tongue.gif[/img] ], for lack of better...he did have some licks & tricks [yes; i realize that this does not a complete drummer make] ;c)
I've been working since then to attain closer to "Weckl Ears"...now, if i can just get some "Weckl LIMBS"... ;c)
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 22, 2005 03:46 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>
Dom is so false. Watch any vic firth video of his in the goddamn " WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME TO THE WISDOM WOODSHED, this is HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE HAHAHAHAHA !" studio, and he's just loud, brash, and always has this cringeworthy pretentious laugh at the start and the end. I know the idea is to be happy, joyful and encouraging about drums but he sounds like a bloody double glazing salesman. He doesn't really explain anything properly in them either, like the trad grip video. Plenty of material for my impersonations clip part 2. [img]wink.gif[/img]
Bookmarks