Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Michaud:
    As for the comment of this music being cutting edge 20 years ago but generic now, this might be accounted for by the fact that we're all a bunch of "geezers."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think it has more to do with not being familiar with the music enough to appreciate all the subtle brilliance.

When we were all younger and just discovering music (rock, jazz, fusion, whatever) we would listen for hours on end. It would get to the point where we knew every little nuance of the music. When you really dig into a piece of music like that (really get inside it) you appreciate it at a much higher level IMO.

These days it's hard to find the time to devote to anything let alone listening to new music. That can be why many things can sound "old" or "dated". It's because we are only listening superficially and making quick comparisons to what we've heard in the past. I have been guilty of this on many occasions.

I find that only after repeated listens (at least 10 times) can you honestly make an assessment.

Being 'geezers' can only be a good thing.

Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Awesome, Michaud.

Ditto on the Allan/cutting-edge observation as well! [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]

[& Good points, dsop.]

Overall, IMHO[!], most fusion to me will never sound dated. By it's nature it is generally timeless... Except of course for in certain thematic instances [70s; 80s, fonkay-disco-influenced time-periods, for example], which i think is what was referred to; or also in the sound & mix of the instruments themselves in whatever studio at whatever time period. [img]wink.gif[/img]

That sounded a little confusing & rhetorically redundant, didn't it...oh well. ;o]

...guess that officially makes me another "[fusion] geezer," like 'da rest a' you ponks... [;oP
    But I'm also a fuso-tad at [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] , what with all the newer post-mod-contempo stuff like CCEB, DWB, Karizma, AHB, etc. Eh, guess I'm just simply a "fuso-punk"...

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 26, 2005 04:37 PM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Rodge:
    Hi Steve,

Man, I'm really impressed by the way how you take the "bad" comments !!!
    Even, I don't understand anyway why people still looking for saying something about the music that you play, it's your choice and obiously you like what you doing so...

I know how we artists are sensible...
    But for me your drumming is so good that whatever the music played (taste and color...) we should have nothing than respect for you and your musical choice.

Peace.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you Rodge. That was an encouraging note!

I've always been a lover of fusion (and of course, jazz as well). It's a great blessing to be able to play the music I loved while growing up (and even with some of the players as well; e.g., Holdsworth and Hunt).

Once again, thank you.

Steve Michaud

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by cjbdrm:
    Steve,

I'd be interested to hear more about your personal life, re-reading Randy's initial post has made me curious...can you tell us a little more about your past/present? I always find the story behind the artist just as interesting as the artist's work...how did you get to be such a great player? It's encouraging to hear other musicians who have other jobs/intrests, as well as families to take care of...I think it makes for better music, myself...(emotional content)...and it gives me hope!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi CJBDRM,

I'll do my best to give a brief overview. I started playing drums in the third grade. In the seventh grade, I started taking lessons with Gary Chaffee--this changed everything! He's a somewhat intimidating character. One day I didn't have my lesson quite prepared. The cold stare he gave me after that put the writing on the wall. I needed to get serious about practicing. I did!

I practiced at least 5 hours a day after school, starting at age 13. Sometimes I stayed out of school altogether (note: I do not recommend this to anyone!) I started doing jazz gigs (straight ahead) around town when I was very young.

Then I went to Berklee. I only went for two semesters; that was all I could afford! I made some good connections there, however. In school and shortly afterwards, my practice sessions bumped up to 10 hour sessions (sometimes even more). They were meticulously laid out, with a lot of emphasis on working up "my own stuff."

I hooked up with Gary again for a brief stint. He said to me, "You could be the next Vinnie if you wanted to be." Gary took me to the NAMN show in Anaheim to introduce me to people. After going to LA, I felt very shallow. Everyone was there for the same thing--to make it. It left a cold impression on me.

I decided to work with a fusion group in NH and network from there instead. I then got married to a wonderful lady (I'm 22 years old at this point). The group I played with had a lot of local success, but eventually disbanded.

Enter my call into the ministry: this had been tugging at me throughout my twenties. Finally, I could resist no longer. I was going to pursue the pastorate.

I am now an assistant pastor and extremely happy with what I am doing. I have a beautiful family with a lovely wife and two beautiful boys. I love spending time with them and cannot imagine having any family life at all if I were constantly touring. I wouldn't trade this life for anything--not the greatest tour with the greatest musicians. These are the most important things for me: i.e., serving God in this capacity, and spending so much quality time with my family.

Does this put some pretty severe strictures on my playing opportunities? Yes, of course. I can do this upcoming trip with Steve Hunt in Italy because I had a week of vacation time left over (I work full-time at the church). Steve Hunt lives about 40 minutes away, and he's constantly referring me for sessions at his studio. I have more musical opportunities than I have the time to do, and have to turn some down. But I've struck a great balance, one that I'm happy with.

SSSHHH....a little secret (not really): I have a pair of drum sticks in my office that I use throughout in the day when my hands are free. My technique ironically feels better than it ever has!

Anyway, that's the story. I emphasized the personal, rather than the types of things I practiced, because I thought that was what you were asking about. Those are my priorities, and I have no regrets at all!

Soli Deo Gloria,

Steve Michaud

cjbdrm

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Ironically, I took a private lesson with Gary in 1994...he asked me what my goals were and I said to "become the next Vinnie"...he said: "I think you should concentrate on being the next(my name)". I thought it was cool that he said that...but now I know why!

Well, I'm not surprised to hear you practiced your tail off...all the amazing players out there have put their time in on the gig and in the woodshed...I'm still trying to find out what "natural talent" is...but I've noticed that the more I practice the more "naturally talented" I become(other's words- not mine ).

Thanks for the look into your personal and professional life. A very inspiring story!

Chris

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello Friends,

I wanted to give this info for those who "pm"ed me regarding the Italy Jazz Festival next Tuesday, September 13 (posting here seemed the easiest way).

Click on this link.

http://www.roccozifarelli.com/tunes.html

What you'll see is our song list. Scroll down to where you see a place where you can download the brochure of the Talos Jazz Festival. This should give the information you need.

Hopefully there will be a recording made of the show. At any rate, there will be a studio recording with Rocco in Rome after the concert.

Thanks for the interest!

Steve Michaud

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789