Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

as far as TW with santana goes, he played on a few tracks on santanas album 1980 album "Swing of Delight." i beleive he played on "song for my father" and "swaipan tari" you can DL both tunes from iTunes for a buck or snatch them from grokster or wherever.

i have a video of TW, herbie and the santana band playing song for my father at a 1981 jazz festival in tokyo. if i dont suck, i will try and post it in the next week or so. as far a tony video clips go, this one REALLY rare.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

BECAUSE THERE IS A GOD
    AND HIS NAME IS TONY!!

OH! He's RUDE!!!! It hurts
    to listen to this ride!!

How the f--- does he do that?
    I have been trying to figure
    that out all my life!!

That young whipper-snapper!

LOL!

http://s35.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...72700PCQI9F387

[img]cool.gif[/img]

Incidentally, this comes
    from Miles - Live at the
    Plugged Nickel CD1.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 15, 2005 11:56 AM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ahh, Stella...[I didn't DL this as I've the CD, trk 4]...

Listen to how TW intuitively brings the tempo back down until Ron synchs back up, around approx 7:17...it's a little loose, but it's still so cool...WTH, it's improv. It almost sounds as if he's laying on those 1 hand ride-8th-trips to help usher RC & crew back into the tempo... ;-)

& I can hear an overall TW-type-vibe in much of Weck's RH swing-ride feel at this similar tempo sometimes...

Someone once spoke of VC getting away w riding the china in 1 of the Marienthal Crossroads disc 'jazz' tunes, Upside Down, I believe, off the top of my head...here we hear TW doing it b4 it shifts to the uptempo sectn... [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]

It's no surprise VC loved TW so much as do many of us... [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sun.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 17, 2005 02:29 AM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i have posted some tony MP3s that often get passed over-

Calypso is from Herbies Mr. Hands LP (import)

Swaipan Tari is from Santana Swing of Delight LP- great track with Herbie, Wayne, Tony and Santana. very nice fusion effort from Santana who sometimes doesnt get the credit he deserves.

Good Question, is from Herbies Sunlight (import only) album. an underrated album during his pop/jazz crossover period. this fusion jam features the rarely recorded pairing of Jaco & Tony.

go here:

http://homepage.mac.com/matthughen/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12