Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allan Holdsworth NOT w/Vinnie European Tour?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

While it is fantastic that Vinnie is touring with Holdsworth, which should provide some nice listening for those lucky enough to geta chance to see the shows or get a hold of some recordings, I can't help but be extremely depressed that a US Tour is not in the works.

More to the point, here we have 2 guitar GIANTS, Allan Holdsworth and Jeff Beck, who have been smart and fortunate enough to snare Vinnie for their bands, yet the US market is left out of the mix. Now maybe there are valid reasons for why this has occurred. Yet that doesn't numb the pain. I grew up listening to both these guys and I will say they are 2 of my favorite guitar players of all time.

I don't know if there is anything more I intended to say here except to convey my frustration. I guess I've done that and will have to live with the hope that maybe, just maybe, we here in the US will be blessed with a tour.

Thanks for allowing me to vent and for listening.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

mntnman,
    you done good.
    i totally understand and feel your pain. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]mad.gif[/img]
    i may have to break the bank and try to get to one of these shows. wow...with airfare, hotels, neccesities and tickets....it could cost me 2 grand to see vinnie [img]eek.gif[/img]
    i think it just might be worth it! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by MntnMan62:
    Now maybe there are valid reasons for why this has occurred.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There are numerous reasons. Mainly the fact that most people in the USA don't like OR support this music thus preventing enough of an audience to make the whole thing feasible logistically OR financially. Let's face it; The market for instrumental music is smaller than small.

Also, word on the street is that this collection of musicians is still speculative and nothing has been confirmed yet. It was presumptuous of them to suggest otherwise. I'm not saying that it won't happen, but it's not a given at this point.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think your right Steve. It requires some pretty well paid gigs to get a band over to the US.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

as i think i stated above i emailed allans management asking for the band to be confirmed and about vinnie in particulary and he told me that yes vinnie has been slotted for the gig

I can see how it would be profitable to tour outside the u.s.a....for e.g here in hong kong when something comes in like the kenny garrett quartet, big phat band or trio toykeat..many of the high class rich expats like going because it makes them seem like they are cultured and not like everyone else so most shows are sold out with about 2000-3000 people, plus the government here subsidises the concerts so tickets are dirt cheap but leaders/bands still get the pay they deserve

Maybe most people in the United States are less "cultured" because they are at the heart of this "pop" industry/culture and so they have learnt to like that kind of stuff and not be so into jazz and/or other styles because they are not happning in the media lalala ..anyways too much ranting...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I'm kinda suprised about this new entusiasm about Jazz and Instrumental music here in Denmark. in this October month, Copenhagen is gonna by visited by the following drummers in various bands; Jeff "Tain" Watts, Bill Stewart, Thomas Lang, Chad Wackerman, Rod Morgenstein, David Garibaldi and Tommy Aldrigde.

I don't know about the US at the moment, but these Drummers have homes in the US and probably play local gigs there, but again - USA is not L.A, Nashville, NY and Chicago heh.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

damn Klemme your in for an amazing month!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The US is in sad shape right now concering live music that's anything but pop. I can see Jeff Beck *maybe* doing some touring in the states, but to pay off a band like he just had, it would have to be fairly large venues (I'm totally speculating obviously). Point being over-seas audiences are just more into the instumental thing. This is why there's a lot of bills in the US that feature several bands, which makes sense I guess.

It sure does suck for those of us in the States that are interested in this kind of music. I guess being in LA buffers it, there is a small scene here for that kind of thing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looks like Chad is doing it now.
    www.emmeci.biz [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/broken_heart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/whatever.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wilted.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes Steve.

I did a gig a few weeks back at the venue in Holland they are going to play so I started to badger the promoter for some tickets and he told me Chad was doing it too.

(I though Chad was pretty good in the Chili Peppers but don't know how he will fair with Holdsworth however, his stuff is qite hard.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast