Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If looks didn't count... what would the top billboad charts look like?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If looks didn't count people might actually start LISTENING to that crap and realize "hey this is crap..."

all those pretty pretty people would be out of work so fast that McDonalds would be innundated with burger flippers !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

AND stations like MTV and MuchMusic would have to run a whole lot more commercials than they already do to keep afloat......

Not that I've given this idea much thought... hahahhahaaha

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think there's allways been a code of appearence in music. But it's getting out of hand and used as a way of promoting yourself instead of just having a nice suit of appearence that pleases the audience in respect. ( I put some nice clothes on in respect of those who've came to see me ) I think that's a natural way of showing yourself on a music-scene.
    But the way it's run at the moment. Even country stars has to looks like something that belongs to a totally different genre of entertainment. It's silly. A good friend of mine has a relative who works in the Fashion business and leads a model-label, and she got called up by a producer who wanted a VERY good looking girl, not necesarily a good singer, because it wasn't the purpose that she was gonna perform live, He only wanted her to sing in his studio. The most money spend on her was making the video wich was highly exhibitioning her looks, and not her singing. Anyways it became a no.1 hit and she's allready forgotten.

I think that The current billboard charts are reflecting the current values in our days society. Especially the majority my generation, we admire material things in appreciating ourselves more than social and spiritual acts.

Not to start another political debate, but I think the only solution to this cultural problem is a economic depression to show us that money Isn't everything in this life. In Denmark, every time we had a bad economic and a high unemployment rate etc. The cities started to BOOOOM with great music and every single person loved to go out and experience it.

I think there was written a book about it too in the US about similar situations in the U.S and UK.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's a good question. I was also thinking, imagine the millions of pop music buying people around the world preferring jazz and fusion to pop. The charts might look something like this:

1. Chick Corea - Electrik Band
    2. Steve Holmes -Altered
    3. Dave Weckl Band - Synergy
    4. Michel Camilo - One more once
    5. Brecker Brothers - Heavy Metal Bebop
    ..etc...

Can you imagine a TV presenter announcing " And for the tenth week at number one, yes kids, it's the CHICK COREA ELECTRIK BAND!! to thousands of screaming kids wearing T-shirts saying ' CHICK RULES!' And MTV streaming highly polished videos of Altered with steve holmes playing his blushda while wearing shades, and sporting some glittery bling bling around his neck [img]tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 23, 2005 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Rudy_Ment ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....I myself would much rather look like crap and sound great!!! Rather than look great and sound like crap.....

Now if only the consumers felt the same way...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Rudy_Ment:
    It's a good question. I was also thinking, imagine the millions of pop music buying people around the world preferring jazz and fusion to pop. The charts might look something like this:

1. Chick Corea - Electrik Band
    2. Steve Holmes -Altered
    3. Dave Weckl Band - Synergy
    4. Michel Camilo - One more once
    5. Brecker Brothers - Heavy Metal Bebop
    ..etc...

Can you imagine a TV presenter announcing " And for the tenth week at number one, yes kids, it's the CHICK COREA ELECTRIK BAND!! to thousands of screaming kids wearing T-shirts saying ' CHICK RULES!' And MTV streaming highly polished videos of Altered with steve holmes playing his blushda while wearing shades, and sporting some glittery bling bling around his neck [img]tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ November 23, 2005 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Rudy_Ment ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">As much as I'd love to think so, I really do doubt that...

Love i or loathe it, pop music (in the cheesiest sense) sells because like D.Seipel says, it's easy to digest. I love pop and rock and am in no way ashamed to admit it. I also love fusion etc, but I can appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea.

A lot of the time, people won't 'understand' fusion and would reather have something 'with a beat' that you can tap your foot along to...

MP

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure that jazz/fusion would top the charts if looks didn't count. People listen to pop/rock because of it's just easier to "digest" than jazz/fusion.

I'm not denying that the marketing of such music is largely based on image alone, but would you apply the same logic to books or magazines? What I mean is that jazz/fusion doesn't top the charts because of a couple of reasons:

Pop/rock music is a much more simplistic genre and always has been. Whatever is easiest to listen to (harmonically & melodically) will always sound better to the 'lay-person' than something more audibly chanllenging, such as jazz and or fusion.

Saying that jazz isn't popular because pop music artists are marketed on looks is like saying,"if people were blind, they'd be jazz fans". It gives the general public too much ...credit? It's tough to try and explain, but I understand what you WISH was true, but anything that's truly artistic in this day and age is just not going to be truly popular in the main stream, otherwise, it wouldn't be creative.

Popular culture seems to feed on repetition and slow-moving growth, intellectually speaking. Does that make sense?

Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL you guys

Well said, Dan.

When hard-working & blue collar folks come home from a long day at the "office," the last thing most of them want to hear is a gazillion-note "war" [img]wink.gif[/img] between 4 or 5 musos for 5 to 20 mins...

But the world at large has not been known for their collective "mass intelligence," altho there are def exceptions to every rule [otherwise, there'd be no great devices - I said, "great" ones: inventions, medicines, philosophies, or walking on the moon [altho by & large i think continuously putting man into space is a HUGE waste of $$ that could be better spent here on this planet to help the people, except for bettering or safely speeding up world travel - but that's a WHOLE other "philosophical discussion" [img]wink.gif[/img] ...

The world would rather slop around in some stoopit glitzy fad than things of true substance [not that a zillion notes always = "substance" necessarily either]

But this opens yet other whole philosophical-debate "can of worms"...Y'all notice i tend to have to word things carefully & somewhat completely covering all bases that i can in a shorter space, so as not to have to go into in depth philosophical ranting-debate debaucle at every turn of the jot or tittle...for those of you... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by DrumKit_Cat:
    If looks didn't count people might actually start LISTENING to that crap and realize "hey this is crap..."

all those pretty pretty people would be out of work so fast that McDonalds would be innundated with burger flippers !
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You mean like Bionce? Blagh!