Thread: Stanton and Rodney in Tampa tonight!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OMG!!
    Rodney Holmes is playing at Skippers tonight with Steve Kimock and Stanton is playing the State Theater w/ Galactic!
    Am I still in Tampa??????
    I'm gonna go see Rodney as Galactic comes around all the time.
    I'm STOKED!
    GaMG, are you going to either of these shows?
    Let me know ASAP!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just got back from the Steve Kimock band gig at Skippers Smokehouse here in Tampa and had to write about it for a bit...
    Let me begin by saying that I had no idea what to expect.
    What I got was:
    Some of the most organic and sonically stunning music I've heard in ages. It was just NICE music. No anger, totally jammy, and introspective. Jammy Windham Hill??? Kind of...

Rodney Holmes was, to say the least, creative, impulsive, supportive, sensitive, dynamic, over the top...all that shit. And, a double bass/solo/odd meter/groove MONSTER.

And, he made it all look easy. Jeeezus....... [img]mad.gif[/img]

If you get a chance to see them, buy the ticket. Do not hesitate. I spent $18 and felt it was worth a LOT more. If the next time they come around it costs $50 a ticket, I'm there. I'm serious.

After the first set I got a chance to have a few words with Rodney and found him to be a very humble and gracious man. All smiles and a warm handshake. He obviously loves what he does and doesn't take fans for granted.

I left VERY inspired. Hell, I bought the DVD, the triple live Steve Kimock band CD set, Rodney's solo CD, and a friggin' T-shirt. No, I wasn't impressed......... [img]cool.gif[/img]

As I said, do not hesitate to go see these guys play. Seriously great music with sensitivity, drive, passion, touch, and soul.

All of us would kill to play in a band as musical as this. Rodney played all of the tunes with precision, feel, and taste.

It was absolutely jaw dropping.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sounds awesome man!

I know how it is to be so inspired and then have a sale at the end of in the interval for merchandise.

At the tio toykeat gig i was at in september i spent like 20 on the tickets and 100 bucks on cds when i was there !

All good stuff though

Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whassup, my Mook man.

I had a last minute gig at the Orlando fairgrounds last night, otherwise i would DEF had gone had i also known. Figures, it would be on a night i couldn't attend. But as we all know, getting paid to play is priority #1, just as it is for fuso-bad-man Rodney. [My gig is cool, & i did #1 get paid, but i'd rather be in a gig like his!] [img]wink.gif[/img]

After the Sat night gig i zooted back to T-town to catch my broski with a major country/rock act at a mega-corporate private party at the Causeway Hyatt b4 he rolled out on the bus at 3a. He'd also done his 1st ever drum clinc at Guitar Center Lakeland the eve b4 [Fri], where i went to support. He did a great job, played to 4 or 5 tracks of varying styles, contempo-country ['straight' pop/lite rock], fusion, N'awlins swamp-funky 2nd line, ballad, etc, AWA a couple of [free form & also over the pseudo-fuso/latin/samba vamp] solos.

Your sentiments emphatically reflect my viewpoint when i saw RH w SKB at Jannus. They ROCK the hoppin' joint live. Glad you had a good time. Did you get a DVD? That would be killin'. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Are you back offTR gigging in town for a little while man? PM me if you want [img]cool.gif[/img] ...i havent checked the e account in ages... [img]redface.gif[/img]