Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I haven't heard that one but Gadd doesn't generally hit hard. Especially if compared to guys like Virgil, Lang, etc. Most of the time he tends to play fairly light. Check out his videos, DVD's and you'll see that he keeps his sticks pretty low and only lays into his accents. But I am familiar with Peter's drumming on Steps Ahead, and it was incredible in many ways.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think Steve Gadd is the most controlled when it comes to volume on a drumkit - he can play hard or so softly you barely know he's playing... I never though of him as a hard hitter though, like Copeland or Virgil.

Cripes, Copeland - there's a slugger! haha

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

whomever wrote that review lacks in musical ears.........that is a great cd as are any with Erskine too. Paradox was the live set featuring Erskine.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh yea I know gadd plays with incredible dynamics. Of course he does. And yeah, he doesn't hit hard like virgil or copeland,( although he wouldn't have been tickling the drums on the eric clapton gig) BUT, there's no doubt that gadd seriously lays into the drums at times and as a comparison, he hits much harder than say, weckl. That's not a bad thing at all, it's great. I think this clip demonstrates this quite well. I could be wrong here, but I'm sure someone once told me that gadd was the inspiration for 'animal' off the muppets.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/Stevegadd.html

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been listening to this album again in the car today. This is an old review by one person at amazon.com that I just saw. Interesting what he says about gadd.
    I must admit that when I was listening, I was thinking that he was hitting pretty hard on the album. But then, gadd always hit pretty hard didn't he? I don't know if I agree with it being too hard at the wrong times or not.

' A cookin' live album, but too bad of Steve Gadd, May 17, 2000
    Reviewer: Erik Werkman (Utrecht, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
    This is the best album of Steps, the group founded by Mike Mainieri, with Don Grolnick, Eddie Gomez, Michael Brecker and Steve Gadd. The only pity regarding this live-recording and the group was the fact that the drummer Steve Gadd, a brilliant
    and influential drummer in pop and fusion circles, is just too hard-hitting for the material at times, when subtlety is required. In the follow-up to Steps, rightly named Steps Ahead, this problem was solved by replacing him with Peter Erskine (see their album with the same name). Nonetheless, a fine album.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this) '

If anyone here has never heard the album or wants to hear gadds solo on it, I can do that. We've all heard gadds stuff a million times, but the solo on this album has some serious energy. In fact, it races away at times.