Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys, played a cool little gig last night at a new club thats just opened in town, and my quintet is playing sunday night residency. The bare stone walls and boomy acoustics led us play much more laid back and dynamically sympathetic than we usually do, and by the end of the second set we were really in the zone. I recorded the gig and and this is my favourite track from it. Please excuse the horrible drum sound, i'm afraid the mic was on the floor behind the kit [img]redface.gif[/img] and so picked up the 'thump' of the bass drum beater quite strongly rather than the satisfying 'boooing' that it makes from in front of the kit (especially when feathering), it also picked up a lot of tinny snare from underneath, but nonetheless its an alright recording overall.

I'm glad I recorded it, its really exposed some untidyness on my behalf which I will spend the next week working on, but I hope you enjoy it anyway,, feedback appreciated!

Patrick

http://s54.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...E0CPEGR6P305L0

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Mate! I really enjoyed listening to your Quintet. Thanks for posting. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Maybe try and explore other ride patterns, listen to Blakey etc. It's just an Upportunity, because I really dig the things you're doing. Nice work! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey man! cool stuff....

(Man I wish I could play that kinda stuff too,, sadly theres like maybe two venues on the island that takes that kinda gigs on a regular basis! hah! yikes. (Not to mention no one really knows what jazz is I guess and they dont have interest, and the ones who do know how to play are super good and work interisland (No room for me to squeez in...hah..))) Man I gotta move somewhere else!

Either way I really enjoyed the playing... cool stuff going on there I especialy liked the whole double time thing in there... what kind of a ride is that by the way? Sounda pretty good to me!

Hey by the way, did you say you were a music student too? or was that some one else?

Haha... maybe Ill gather some courage to post my playing too some time...

either way, good job.
    Goh

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah great playing, love the doubletime stuff..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey thanks all for the comments, I'm glad you like.

@Klemme, I really do need to explore some other ride patterns I think. I play a lot of broken and non-repetitive ride patterns when I play minimalist, but as soon as I start to set up a steady groove and introduce more complex co-ordination my ride hand usually reverts back to standard ride pattern, which is something I think I'm gonna start to try and break up. Also, I haven't really listened to much Art Blakey but I definately will. Recently,I've been more into the post-bop players like elvin and tony, than the hard-bop players like Art, so thanks for the advice.

Goman, thanks again, on that gig I was using a 20" Constantinople medium ride, and a 20" A Custom flat ride. I'm not a music student at the moment but I will be in January.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Haha nice, pat. Nice recording.

Those cymbals are amazing! Dont like your snare sound, too tight, but the band really gells. Can i steal your bass player? Piano players pretty sweet as well.

You still up in scotland? I'd love to get together to do some stuff.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Lawrence, glad you liked it.

Yeah the snare sounds horrible, I think its coz i have the bottom head tuned up quite high and the mic just picked up all the snare wire buzz from underneath, it was a very hard room to tune for, I'm gonna make a lot of adjustments to the tuning for next week.

The piano player is great yeah, when I was messing around with some metric modulation around 8 mins 30 he followed me subconciously which I was pretty impressed with.

Yeah, I'm still up here in sunny Aberdeen until January. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 06, 2005 11:59 AM: Message edited by: elpatricio ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Klemme:

Maybe try and explore other ride patterns, listen to Blakey etc.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok

I thought your patterns were cool. The main thing is the swing, which you did well. Trying to make up all these goofed up ride patterns in a song that's a more groove oriented tune would mess with the swing, unless you were Elvin or Tony.

The whole point to this type of music is not to try to make it a technical effort but a musical one.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

are you going to berklee in january el patricio?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by DeeP_FRieD:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Klemme:

Maybe try and explore other ride patterns, listen to Blakey etc.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok

I thought your patterns were cool. The main thing is the swing, which you did well. Trying to make up all these goofed up ride patterns in a song that's a more groove oriented tune would mess with the swing, unless you were Elvin or Tony.

The whole point to this type of music is not to try to make it a technical effort but a musical one.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you seem to misunderstand my critigue, it was not aimed to promote a different ride pattern for the sake of it. but to expose him to different colours than those he paints with at the moment [img]smile.gif[/img]

As I mentioned above, i'm really diggin your playing, and it was just a sugestion not a request or critigue.

The Main thing is of Course Swing, but it also has to have that Drive in it [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]