Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Si71:
    Gary

When I was getting into your playing with Holdsworth/42 my dad always used to go on about how amazing you were at 16 in Syd Lawrence's Orchestra. My dad drummed with BBC Scottish Radio Orchestra, and cruises, Geraldo etc. He was in the Glasgow scene in the 60s and I think may have played with Jim Mullen for a while. He was also friends with Bobby Wishart. But he remembered you in Syd's orchestra via an alto player - Andy ? Surname escapes me. He was in the resident band at the Beachcomber in Cleethorpes when you appeared there in '76ish.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lead alto with Syd Lawrence was Andy Taylor - a beautiful guy. Hey great memories. I also played with Jim Mullen over the years too.

Not really a fan of Steve S or Frank gambale either. Sorry. They have a lot of fans so I'm sure it wouldn't be a loss to them. I can see how Steve has worked on a lot of stuff and got a lot together but ultimately, musically, it doesn't get me. Personally I enjoyed him far more back with Journey and on the Jean Luc-Ponty album. Interestly, I can't hear even a thread between the way he sounded and played then with now he sounds now. It's pretty strange - almost like a totally different guy. Frank Gambale I'm afraid doesn't get me at all.

Just my personal opinion.

Cheers,

GH

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Were you influenced by Rufus Jones in those early Lawrence days? You certainly had a look of him. I remember the classic footage of him with Basie, esp. a thunderous double stroke roll at the end of April in Paris....

Si

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Si71:
    Were you influenced by Rufus Jones in those early Lawrence days? You certainly had a look of him. I remember the classic footage of him with Basie, esp. a thunderous double stroke roll at the end of April in Paris....

Si
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't know Si - not that I know of, thoguh I admired greatly all the players through the Basie band, notably Rufus, Harold Jones and of course the great Sonny Payne. I was absorbing all of these players at that time - just everyone I could find out about. Seeing them actually play was real difficult though of course, unless they happened to be playing nearby .... which wasn't going to be often!! I just had the records.

Most of all John Von Ohlen was my man. This guy was a very deep and powerful influence on me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I stopped buying "Vital Information" recordings a short while back because I couldn't find the music beneath all the chops. I really wanted to find something to dig about Steve's playing because I love well placed chops but ultimately I gave up. Also, the chip on his shoulder doesn't help much either.
    On a different but related note I do find that the recent Mahavishnu tribute recording called "Visions of an Inner Mounting Apocalypse" with Vinnie is a pleasure to listen to. The playing is superb and the instrument tones used have a nostalgic quality to them. I only wish they had tracked the solos live to get more real time interaction.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This bacame an interesting thread...for me. Personally I think its great that someone of Gary's status and perspective interacts regularly on here...I wish more well known musicians would do that. I dig Vital Info and Steve.....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Personally I enjoyed him far more back with Journey and on the Jean Luc-Ponty album.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The early Vital Info stuff is pretty rocking. I liked it when he played with a lot of intensity.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Rudy_Ment:
    Hey gary,
    I saw VI at ronnies last year, or the year before, can't remember. I share the same feelings as you. I was kind of bored tbh. Steve Smith is an amazing drummer,(technically), but in all honesty, his playing has never floated my boat in any shape or form. As far as the bands music, it really does very little for me.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with every word of this. It's never really been my favourite band, and I just don't get the whole S Smith thing. He's technically amazing, I don't think anyone can doubt that.

I think the same about his playing that people in the early 90's thought about Weckl. Souless and passionless... (Weckl's definately not that now IMO..)

MP

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Steve Smith is excellent at playing other peoples ideas. He plays everyone elses licks and fills etc...As far as being original, he is not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12