Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I would say that Zack is a pretty hip drummer... very cool. I like a lot of his ideas and approaches but I also recently discovered him even though jojo mayer praised him like 6 years ago!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He plays on the Ocean's 12 coundtrack...very cool playing.

Inactive Member BennyAndTheSkins's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was taking lessons with a guy back in '95, and he was telling me about Weckl seeing Zach playing with Krantz, and just walking out shaking his head in amazement at the chops/maturity Zach had for his age. That tune with Krantz reminds me a bit of Novak's blazing singles. Awesome playing. Also interesting to note that he seems to have made film scoring his main source of income, not drumming.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ZD is amazing. 2 drink minimum is love and once of my favourite albums. Also for ZD with krantz check out 'long to be loose' (the 'to be' may be written '2 be' i cant remember...) one of the tracks which is titled (or not titled - youll know what i mean when you get the album) 'not conciously written' its either track 2 or track 4 anyway, features a truely excellent bit of 32nd note odd grouping phrasing madness, a friend of mine DAVID (also posts here occassionally) showed me an old MD with it transcribed.
    GREAT STUFF!!!

Ahhh, its time for some Zach D...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by BennyAndTheSkins:
    Also interesting to note that he seems to have made film scoring his main source of income, not drumming.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I think that this part (movie soundtrack) of the music business is very closed, but if you have the chance to go in, I think that it's one of the most lucrative part of the music business.

Peace.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just got back from the 55 Bar a couple of minutes ago -- Zach playing with Tim Lefebvre, Dave Binney, a keyboard player and a guy with a computer. The night was billed as the "Slutzky and Herbertson Hour" -- if you follow ZD & TL's project "Boomish", then you know what that refers to.

Danziger was burning as always. He has an incredibly unique approach to odd note groups in his solo breaks -- very organic and natural sounding. Kinda hard to explain, but you can hear it for yourself on Krantz's "Two Drink Minimum" (as prior posters have noted in this thread) -- TDM was recorded live at the 55 Bar, btw. That Krantz disc is one of my favorites of all time (of the "modern era", at least).

Cheers.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wayne's Long To Be Loose really blew me away. I like 2 drink minimum as well but the quality and drum tuning kind of bug me (is there any tonal difference to the toms at all?) I don't like the washy ride either, could be the room/mic/whatever but there is some great playing on there all around.
    I don't think Keith comes close to being the drummer Zach is on that gig. I have a great clinic of his on video I will get around to uploading/BT'ing.

Currently working on a face lift for HOD, should be soon! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Steve Holmes:
    Granted I'm not terribly familiar with the current Zach. In fact, last time I saw him I was kind of disappointed. I would Love to take a lesson with the guy though. Anyone know him? We should get him posting on here.

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ December 21, 2005 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Steve Holmes ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I get the sense that Zach isn't that interested in the drums any more, actually. I'm also pretty sure that he doesn't teach at all. Both facts, if true, are regrettable. Btw, he's certainly not an elegant player to watch, but it's instructive to see how he's able to get his point across. I agree with you, Steve, that he's a pretty deep player.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's the tune that John Blackburn was talking about...just so everyone knows the title of the tune is "not consciously written about"...seems like wayne krantz put a lot of thought into his titles.

Zach is killing on pretty much the whole album and the strat tones on the album are killer... For anyone who's interested wayne krantz is actually selling bootlegs of his gigs from his website for like 5 bucks a set... and he's playing with a much of different people...i bought one set where he's playing with dafnis priesto but it's really different from the vibe that zach brings to the table.

http://rapidshare.de/files/9553984/0...About.mp3.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast