Thread: Chris 'Daddy' Dave with Me'shell MP3s.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey all. As promised in the sean rickman thread, here are two sets from a live bootleg of the Spirit Music Jamia, led by bassist/composer Me'Shell Ndegeocello.

The Line Up:

ME?SHELL NDEGEOCELLO (b)
    CHRIS DAVE (dms)
    RON BLAKE (fl, asax, bsax)
    MICHAEL CAIN (p, kb)
    OLIVER LAKE (sax)
    JAHI SUNDANCE LAKE (DJ)

I love chris' playing througout, he pulls out some sick hip-hop/funk grooves and wild polyrhythms, the energy in his playing is tremendous, and the the soloists reach some shocking levels of intensity in their solos [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] . Me'shell's bass lines hold everything together... Enjoy!

01 - Dr Strange

02 - Al Fataq-Luqman

They are quite long tracks so set aside some time to listen to them and enjoy them in full.

If you dig the sound you should get hold of Me'Shell's latest album 'Dance of the Infidel' which features Chris Dave, Jack DeJohnette, and Gene Lake on drums. Its some of the most original and forward thinking stuff I've heard in a long time!

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 29, 2005 06:33 AM: Message edited by: elpatricio ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks a bunch dude!
    I may have a nice video clip of Chris jamming in what seems like a hotel hall somewhere.They're all sick in that clip,especially the guitar player.
    I'll post it whenever i find it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ElPat, you da MAN! Thanks for those tracks. You just made my day.

First track is hot!! The band just goes off--this is not for folks who don't like screeching horns and some degree of chaos. Usually they bug me but in this context I can get behind them because I can feel Chris&Me'Shell's organizing force/pulse. Loving the section on the second track toward the end (>22:00). God I love this guy's playing--totally devil-may-care, loose, polyrhythmic aggression. I envy his unrestraint and faith in "one."

Drumaddix, if you find that clip I would love to see it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks ElPat, can't wait to listen. Downloading now... [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Glad you're enjoying it guys. I agree with everything you said spaceotter. Here's a link to a 100 minute video of the same band, from Montreux 2004! Its really sick, not much footage of Chris, but another great opportunity to listen.

Man I just thought, there's something about chris' energy in this group - his attitude, his unpredictabilty, his aggresiveness, that is startlingly reminiscent of a young Tony with the Miles Davis quintet.. [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

http://real.bluewin.ch/ramgen/montre...4/Meshell_h.rm

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 29, 2005 06:15 PM: Message edited by: elpatricio ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

P.S. if you want to save it to your hard drive instead of streaming, you can download some software called Net Transport, and it will intercept the download for you.

http://www.xi-soft.com/download.htm

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by elpatricio:
    Man I just thought, there's something about chris' energy in this group - his attitude, his unpredictabilty, his aggresiveness, that is startlingly reminiscent of a young Tony with the Miles Davis quintet..
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes--the thought has come to mind for me as well. His exploration/energy is somehow old school, but in the now.

I also found a Mac version of the real audio/video recorder (wish I'd found this long ago) which I'm using to finally grab that Montreux footage:
    http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/cocoajt/

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, the music and groove that he is creating is cutting edge and contemporary, but his concept/energy is old skool. crazy stuff, I think there was an article and interview about him in a UK drum mag recently, i missed it unfortunately. If anyone knows what I mean, scans would be appreciated! Thanks [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

El Pat, there was an interview in Modern Drummer this last summer/spring. Is that the one you want? I think I've got it somewhere around if so. PM me.