Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No. I mean i will either keep the gretsch kit i have or find my sound in whatever kit I think sounds best. Basically I am going to the music store and try a few different kits. I think there is no one perfect kit. There is only what is perfect for me. So now my challenge is to my my own perfect kit, whatever brand that may be.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by donu:
    Do you mean keep what you have (no matter which brand it is) or Gretch is the better drum in the world ?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I meant that he should keep his Gretsch drums because they are generally great drums. I wouldn't say that ANY brand is the best in the world. Every brand has something unique and good about it, and some more than others.

Two years isn't a long time, so I would suggest trying some different heads, positioning, tuning, etc to see if you can get the sound you're looking for with your current kit.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks DSOP. Will try.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In my opinion is not about the drum brand is about the cat behind it, yes yes yes Vinnie Vinnie Vinnie... but for a perfect example of brand wars between Yamaha and Gretsch, first of all Gretsch needs a lot of tweks for that kind of sound Yamaha don't that's for a start, and p[lease tell me the sound of John Robinson (Yamaha) Paul Leim (Yamaha) or in other drums brands, Shauln Pelton from SNL Sherryl Crow (DW), Gary Novak (DW) Dave Weckl (Yamaha) who has an impecable sound many times better than Vinnie, Steve Smith (Sonor), John Bonham (Ludwig) one of the favorites of Jeff Porcaro, and the Vinnie himself in a couple of Allan Holdsworth record he use Yamaha Recording Custom and that sound there is jaw dropping, John Riley (GMS), Roy Hanes (Yamaha), Steve Gadd (Yamaha) the most recorded drummer in hystory, Jeff in live situations use Pearl and he kicked the sound out of it..............

For me is about getting trap in the advertisement of companies because when Vinnie was with Yamaha was "Oh man Yamaha is the best dude" but now he's with Gretsch so is the oppositte?

For me is not about brand or anything else, is about your voice, with the wisdom that you can speak trhu your drums, what are you saying, what are you want to express via the drumset, what you want to accomplish in words od music, these are the factors that are attracted by producers, not the drumset, for thouse who want to be in the Vinnie or whatever side think about this, a producer never never never never never never will hire you for the drums or the way you set your drumset or your vinnie stuff, at least serious producers, nobody wants a clone everybody want originallity that "unique" quality that makes the record a hit, Vinnie was never hired because he like Tony or even the sound of Gretsch drums, he's hired because of he, and the vocabulary that he can bring to the table, that's the bottom line.

Drums yeah cool issue, but better yet practice and develop your own voice...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i love both of em. can't go wrong with either really. but yeah, i did have to pack my gretsch lugs with cotton and etc...

yammies, are just very consistent. if you can, i'd hold onto the gretsch and save up and buy a yammie kit.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

DDS,

I'm coming on this a bit late, but I wanted to let you know that I have a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute kit (for about 6 months now) and I absolutely love it! Since you're in Chicago I'd invite you to come out and check it out 1/31 at Martyr's if you like. No, that's not a cheap way to get more people at my gig...! ;-P Anyway, I've played lots of Gretsches as well and would kill for a kit (though don't own one currently). I played on a Vinnie signature kit a couple of years ago and thought it sounded incredible, though that white finish inexplicably cracked on the 12" tom.

So, I concur with the rest: Yamaha is great, but as long as you have the Gretsch, keep it. My guess is you won't be sorry!

-Tom

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by John Ritsz:

For me is about getting trap in the advertisement of companies because when Vinnie was with Yamaha was "Oh man Yamaha is the best dude" but now he's with Gretsch so is the oppositte?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When I was a kid I remember Buddy, Gene, Louie; all the high profile guys, you needed a score card to keep track of what drums they were endorsing each week. It got to where it was a joke. It didn't mean one brand was any better than the other. They were all good. They were just able to entice the big pros to their camp with more goodies more often in those days.

As far as the Gretsch sound; I got my Gretsch kit in the early 80's and kept them in the practice room and gigged with my old Camco's for a long period of time. There was something sterile about the sound. But over time they began to even out and real tone began to emerge. A guitarist told me he had the same thing happen with a Martin he bought. A guitar maker told him that the wood requires a breaking in period and that over time it would just continue to sound better. It makes sense thinking about how vintage violins and pianos have that richness of tone that newer instruments lack. I don't know the physics of it but I've heard it has something to do with how the vibrations affect the molecular sructure of the component materials over a period of time. The same holds true with cymbals.

I'd give the Gretsch's some time. If they aren't to your liking after a breaking in period then maybe try something else. IMO Gretsch, Yamaha; you can't go wrong either way. Gretsch will generally have a broader tone where Yamaha has that focused tone (it's all in the shell construction and bearing edges). What's your preference?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123