Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've just bought a cymbal that has a hole drilled in it for 1 rivet. I'd like to get hold of a rivet so just I can have that option if I want. If I went to to a hardware store what would I look/ask for? is it some sort of bolt? I'm wanting the kind like in this pic:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Aasizzle1.jpg

Thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just buy a pack of real cymbal rivets from the drum shop... they are dirt cheap. I got like 20 sabian rivets for 0.75c

I'm still trying to figure out how to properly install them (flair the bottoms out)!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ah thanks CL, I didn't realise they were actual rivets that were used. I'm sure I can pick up what I need in a hardware store, as I don't think any of the shop here stock actual cymbal rivets. I take it that once you've flared the bottom out, its impossible to remove them without destroying the rivet?

Oh btw, the cymbal is a 22" Constantinople thin high ride, and OMG its an absolute beauty!! The sound is just perfection, most satisfying dark over tones i've heard with a nice clear definition and stick sound also.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 06, 2006 05:54 AM: Message edited by: elpatricio ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Before you go putting a rivet in perminently, have you tried experimenting, like sticking a coin on the cymbal with sellotape or using a bath plug chain or something. You can get some wicked effects - i did a gig the other day and just for the ballads i stuck some coins to the cymbal and it sounds wicked.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah i've experimented with chains and coins before, with really good results. Its just that this cymbal has been drilled already so I may as well take advantage of it. It would be nice to have a non-permanent rivet that I could remove if I felt like it though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another tip from what I have heard is to track down copper rivets, which is what a lot of the top jazz players like Bill Stewart insist on using. Most drum shops in NYC can not keep them in stock! I can't imagine how it would make a huge difference in sound, but anyways...

Oh yeah and I too have used bath tub chains. I have two very small ones that I put right through the cymbal rivet holes, forming a loop around the cymbals edge on my K Custom Special Dry.