Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Canadian drummers out there?

Groovissimo

Bonjour Rodge,

Voici de l'info sur Ray:

Ray Garraway -

Sonor Endorser, Ray Garraway has been on the road for what seems an eternity, providing the stylistic backbeats for one of Canada's hottest musical acts: "K-OS". The tour supports the latest offering "Joyful Rebellion", and has kept the band playing steady, from College and University venues, to clubs, large halls, festivals and a host of international shows.

Born in Toronto, Ray began playing drums at 11, and by the age of 17 after relocating to Calgary, he had landed gigs in blues and R&B clubs through his father's musical connections. After Graduating from Grant McEwan College, and beating out 70 drummers to win the Calgary Drum Wars, Ray went on to further his percussion studies at The Percussion Institute of Technology. It was upon graduation from P.I.T. that he was awarded "All-around stylist of the year".

After returning to Canada, Ray connected with Russ Klyne (guitar - K-OS / Nelly Furtado?) and Toby Peter (bass player with K-OS) to form the hard-rock band: "Salvador Dream". They were signed to Warner Records, and produced 2 records, and 3 videos for MuchMusic.

Today, the trio has taken on a new direction that highlights influences of jazz-fusion incorporated with Indian music, Drum n' Bass, and Break-beat, under the name of: "Namedropper".

Ray is looking forward to a few days off from the K-OS tour for some rest, but you can be assured one thing - his drums won't be getting any!

Ray plays Sonor S-Class Pro Maple Series Drums, Giant Step Series Pedals, Sabian Cymbals and Vic Firth Sticks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 14, 2006 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Samuel Lambert ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Merci beaucoup Groovissimo !!!

Je vais tenter de le trouver via le site web de son groupe alors.

Thanks again.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rodge, I was not sure if I could help you but then I remembered that he was JUST on the cover of a popular Canadian music magazine, DRUMS ETC - I just read it! Maybe his e-mail address is in there, I can check. I heard he was a monster drummer and it seems like it from the interview.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great, help me Chris !!!

[img]cool.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Groovissimo:
    And how about you. Drumming Sort of Person,... where are you from, and when did you move to the States ?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">From Toronto and moved to Los Angeles back in 2000. But I'm moving back to Toronto in a few weeks.

I actually started this thread as a tongue-in-cheek joke....but nevertheless....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Drumming Sort of Person,

I am from TO originally and moved to LA about 5 years ago and went to LA Music Academy. Have been her ever since...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by starrdrum:
    Hey Drumming Sort of Person,

I am from TO originally and moved to LA about 5 years ago and went to LA Music Academy. Have been here ever since...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What a coincidence. Too bad we never hooked up. But then again, I plan to be back. If all goes well I will be splitting my time 50/50 between Toronto and Los Angeles by 2007. It's hard to beat the weather here isn't it?

Groovissimo

Several Canadian drummers live in California, are taking courses, private and music schools.

Quebec City's Suzanne Morissette has been in L.A. about ten years . Toronto's Randy Cooke moved to L.A. last year. (Not sure if he is still there).

When the Horse show CAVALIA played in Southern California, drummer Eric Boudreault played with guys like Frank Gambale, Alex Acuna, on his days off.

Toronto drummers like Paul DeLong & Rick Gratton, both played clinics and special events like the NAMM show. Montreal's Paul Brochu played at the Yamaha Groove Night two years ago at the NAMM show.

Several Montrealers flew to L.A. and Frisco to take lessons from Garibaldi, Magadini, Steve Smith, Karl Perazzo, etc.

On the other side of things, several U.S. musicians have played extensively in Canada before getting the big gigs in the States:
    Jerry Etkins, keyboards on the Tonight Show; so, we are in this together, Americans and Canadians, drummers on the same level...

By the way, Samuel Lambert, why did you delete your post ?
    Did you know that Simon Langlois did the Yamaha Showcase at the Mtl Drum Fest about four years ago ? Just like you !!! Great performance by you last November !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Groovissimo sure keeps tabs on a lot of drummers! You are like a walking encyclopedia of drummers [img]smile.gif[/img]

But I know one thing that you don't:
    Randy Cooke is still in LA - infact I recently heard from him and that's how i know. Add that to your database for a little update [img]wink.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast