Thread: TOTO - Live in Amsterdam DVD

Groovissimo

Many of you California HOD drummers know the musicians who play with Toto. I just bought a DVD, Toto - 25th Anniversary DVD, live in Amsterdam.

What a great performance ! I had never seen the band play. Simon Phillips does one hell-of-a job !

I know that, on this DVD, singer Bobby Kimball came back to do this 2003 tour with the band. Do any of you know if Bobby is on the newer tours, like the coming 2006 tour ?
    What a great voice !

I discovered Steve Lukather and David Paich for the first time with this DVD !

Toto seems to be more popular in Northern Europe than in North America. Strange thing . I wonder why !

Their music has the best of everything: Rock, Pop, groove and tints of heavy metal. (Great unisson guitar and bass).

For any fans of Toto, run out and get this DVD. Well worth the $19.95 I paid !!!

Groovissimo

Simon Phillips on stage with TOTO...

Sp Toto concert

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I saw them in london at the sheperds bush empire, I guess it must have been 2003, and simon was phenomenal. I mean really, he is note perfect and tempo perfect, it's unbelievable just how polished he is. Took a fantastic solo as well. Lukather is a great character with some funny lines and great playing when he came out and did a solo spot.
    And there were some comical antics going on when the spotlight was on paich.
    Saw toto with jeff in london back in the 80's as well. Not taking anything away from simon, but, when it comes to jeff, need I say more? Nah. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bobby Kimball is back in the band fulltime, and on the new CD coming out soon.

Not only is Simon a great drummer, but he was the engineered the DVD as well. Great ears.

But as I've said before, listening to Simon play Jeff's parts leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Too polished and perfect. Not enough garlic, to use a Vinnie term.

Danny

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you can, try to find the Toto Live video from 1990 with Jeff. There are also a few videos out on DIME, and those are must haves!

Danny