Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, just go to All Music Guide.
    However, there's even more than that if you include jingles and movies.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry... didn't mean to hijack this thread.

I dunno groovesmitty. Being "1st call" isn't the tell all for me when it comes to drummers. And I'm not trying to take away anything from those you've mentioned. I'm more interested in what they are "saying" when it comes to what and how they play. Even if it's just a jingle of some sort. In my personal opinion, nobody "thinks" like Vinne. I think you'll get that response from any of the hot pro guys out there. And his "ideas" are what attract me as a listener. I know in Los Angeles, Vinnie IS the "1st call". He's owns the market here. And I guarantee you Vince doesn't list every "date" he's done either, just the more recognized ones. Seems like anytime I call or talk to him, he's just on a break from doing movie soundtracks or doing one project or another, or in another state/country...... again.... doing more music. The guy is one busy working mofo.

Again... sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And I would say that Steve Jordan did more sessions than Shawn Pelton...
    I mean I think that Shawn started to work a lot end of 80's begining 90's.

Vinnie or Steve are on the market since end of 70 beginning 80's...

I think, maybe I'm wrong...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with you J'sMech. However, what it means to be a session great is the amount of sessions one has under their belt, and the groove they posses. Opinions are one thing. I was just mentioning the guys who are truly hitmen, like Gadd.

Also, Vinnie is NOT first call on sessions in LA. He's amongst the first call musicians, and he is extremely expensive, however for T.V and jingles Ralph Humphrey is the absolute first call, and Abe Laboriel Jr. is pretty much the first call for any rock or pop project at this point. I hear his drums are always set up at Ocean Way. They do not even bother breaking them down, because he is in there so often. Vinnie has been more a road dog over the past 10 years, although his discography is still huge.

Rodge, you are truly mistaken. Jordan although amazing has not done even a quarter of the sessions Pelton has. That is what is truly great about Shawn. He has been around for the least amount of years compared to the others, and yet has played on more recordings than most.

Jordan does a fair a amount of sideman sessions, but is still not first call in the scene of drummers. He's more of a producer and high profile touring drummer. Do not take my word for it. Look them up. Shawn's discography is like a novel in pages, and lists everyone from The Breckers to Johnny Cash to Celine Dion, Backstreet Boys, Nsync, etc etc etc etc. It is unbelievable.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 23, 2006 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Groovesmitty ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I think people put Vinnie as best studio drummer because he is their favourite.

I personaly love the tracks he cut for Eric Benet's Hurricane, and Sting ... actually I don't own any "studio" or "Sessiony" tracks from him other than that... the rest are fusion records.

But either way, they love his playing, so they put his name there. Not because of the amount of records he cuts.

But yeah, sure I understand your point Groovesmitty. Could you point to some records that Pelton plays on that are like must haves to get an idea for his playing? I have actually almost never heard him play, and I don't even watch SNL. But hear about him alot! I am embarassed... but hey you gotta start some where. So if you could recommend some stuff, that'd be great.

I also love Abe Jrs playing. Any recommendations for records with thim? I loved his playing on this Ashlee Simpson song I found on drummerworld.com haha

Thanks

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by JoesMechanic:
    1) Your all-time favorite drummer - Colaiuta/Weckl
    2) Best big band drummer - Peter Erskine
    3) Best studio drummer - Colaiuta/J.R./Porcaro/Vega
    4) Best 40s, 50s drummer - Buddy
    5) Best Progressive rock drummer - Mark Cranny/Bruford/Peart
    6) Best all-around jazz drummer - Peter Erskine/Jack Dijonette
    7) Best Latin drummer - Cliff Almond/El Negro
    8) Best heavy rock drummer. John Bonham
    9) Best new jazz drummer- Steve Haas
    10) Best overall Pop drummer. Vinnie
    11) Best Groove drummer. Gadd
    12) Most underrated drummer. Joel Taylor
    13) Most lovable drummer. Greg Bissonette
    14) Drummer who influenced you the most in your playing. Peart, Colaiuta, Bissonette, Weckl.
    15) Three people in the drum industry who, you think made a big difference in your lives when learning drums. Dave Karisony, Greg Bissonette, Randy Drake.

I would add a fusion catagory and put Gary Husband into it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good call. I'd list Billy Cobham as my fav fusion drummer.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There's one album that Steve Hass actually gave me at a lesson, and said it is a must have. It's mostly Abe Jr, but has one Pelton cut on it. It is by Jonatha Brooke called Plumb. Not only is the drumming fantastic, but the songs are some of the best since the Beatles.

As far as Shawn on his own. I would say the last two Shawn Colvin albums. He is on so many recordings I can only tell you my favs. You may like others. Just look him up on google. He is also on albums with Joan Osborne and Sheryl Crow which are great.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Amen about Jonatha!!
    She's about the most amazing thing I ever saw live!
    I got all her records including the old "Story" ones, and they are all great. The best ones mixed by Bob Clearmountain btw.
    Plumb is amazing, but 10 Cent wings is equally great.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1) Your all-time favorite drummer> N/A

2) Best big band drummer. (all eras) Buddy Rich

3) Best studio drummer> Vinnie

4) Best 40s, 50s drummer> BR

5) Best Progressive rock drummer> Virgil Donati

6) Best all-around jazz drummer>

7) Best Latin drummer> Horatio Hernandez

8) Best heavy rock drummer> John Bonham

9) Best new jazz drummer (1995 to 2005).

10) Best overall Pop drummer> Vinnie

11) Best Groove drummer> Vinnie

11) Most popular drummer> ??? Thomas Lang

12) Most underrated drummer> Jan Axel Von Blomberg

13) Most lovable drummer> Sheila E. (grrr)...... on a serious note, probably Bellson.

14) Drummer who influenced you the most in your playing> Vinnie + Pete Sandoval

15) Three people in the drum industry who, you think made a big difference in your lives when learning drums.
    (teachers, drum industry people, etc) Bernhard Castiglioni, Derek Roddy, HOD

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 23, 2006 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Sam L ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Groovesmitty:
    Well Randy, Vinnie was not considered a session drummer until the late 80s. A session drummer being someone who is absolute first call.

Shawn Pelton is absolute first call and has been for many years. He has not been on the scene as long, however he is on twice the amount of recordings and jingles in the short time he has been first call. Check out the history of everyone not just Vince. You will learn quite a bit about some others. Shawn Pelton is the first call of top producers and has been since 1989.

I am not saying anyone is better that anyone. If you compare careers and experience, you will find many others who are only session players.

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ January 21, 2006 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Groovesmitty ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In layman's terms: HE'S EVERYWHERE, MAN!!

In case you're wondering, yes I've relocated to Savannah, GA. If you PM me, then I'll give you a full explanation why.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 17, 2006 10:16 PM: Message edited by: SailorCallie ]</font>

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234