Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh man, that was so bad, it crashed my browser!! [img]graemlins/shhh.gif[/img] [img]confused.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm.

This makes me laugh, but kinda in a good way. I think he's just trying to combine almost Breakbeat-ish grooves with experiment, which is kinda interesting, but i dont think it works too well. He said in the thread he was pretty into Max Roach and all the stuff he did (The Third Eye vid on drummerworld is presumably the stuff he's referring to). The only downfall is that he's kinda taking it a little too seriously, i reckon. I'd like to hear him play some real MUSIC, not just drum-solo, there is a distinction in my eyes. Formulate some kind of musical piece, as in modern classical stuff, and then apply this kind of reasoning to it. At the moment, it's just "messy drum solo", but it's not far from being "conceptual experimentation" IMO.

I dunno, maybe he's just a stupid teenager. I think it's cool to look at stuff like this with an open mind, ya know.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Come on!...I think one of the best things that ever happened to me in regard to my drumming happened when I was about his age. I (even though I was never even close to being THAT cocky) was pretty sure of my own abilities, and my then teacher pulled me aside one day and said, "listen man, you've got some good things going on, but you need to practice your butt off before you're anywhere NEAR where you THINK you are. You'll know what I mean when you get older" And MAN I know what he meant! he was SO right. I mean it's no Tony Royster we're dealing with.
    His points make no sense whatsoever. He'll be thanking us later in life for this realitycheck. It's surely needed.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I didn't read all the posts on the Donati forum (there are too damn many of them!), but I didn't really see him getting "attacked" in an overly vicious way. I did see him acting extremely arrogant and getting called out on it. I think there's a difference. Most posters added some very constructive criticism as well, i.e. "Not there yet but I heard some cool ideas--keep at it dude!"

Part of the maturation process is learning to take constructive criticism and using it to better yourself. But, like I said, you're only young once! Ya gotta admit, the kid's got balls.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The whole point of, essentially, showing off your drumming on a forum, which is a mutually enjoyable thing, is to gain constructive criticism, or just stuff that makes your playing better. I can't see why the guy would post something so potentially unlikeable on the forum and then be so disgruntled when all this criticism came back at him. I dunno. Just seems kinda dumb, really lol.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Because his ego has him by the proverbial balls that tom mentioned. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I know he's only young, but so what? There are plenty, plenty of very young players who don't show anywhere near that level of conceitedness. Like I said in that thread, he posted his stuff for praise and praise alone.

" What? You don't think my drumming is earth shatteringly awesome? [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] You can't see how I've been transformed by the gods
    into the next coming of tony williams with added demerera sugar on top? My timing isn't perfect? Yes it is. It's perfect in a completely imperfect way. That's what makes me special, unique and innovative. Lol, you're all ridiculous!"

Many of us have received the words that are painful to hear and we all take it on board and learn from it. I know I do anyway. It wasn't clever for me to dig at him. But it sure was fun. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I'm sorry but this is the internet where people have to sift through everything said and separate the crap from the good stuff. I'm sure by now he's got the message. People rarely get treated with kid gloves on the web, especially when they defy the advice that's been given to them time and time again.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Due credit!
    His latest post showed that all this "flaming" supposedly worked to some extend. Either that or he's schizo, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Here goes his last post:

["i read all the latetest posts..ive said a lot of stupid things on this forum the past couple of days... so sorry to everyone for saying some of those stupid things... ive never really been confronted like this... people telling me what i need to work on.. and i went on the defensive... but ive learned what you were trying to tell me earlier... and ive been listening to many different drum solos... listening to the timing.. and im noticing stuff i hadnt noticed before.. which is the timing... of the solo...so i admit.. i aggree i have lots of work to do.. never ending.. always new challenges ahead.... i actually want to thank madmike.. roman.. and others... for being " hard on me".. i mean sincerely... i see now.. after a while of thinking... that it was for the best... tell me my weakness.. and how to work on them...anyways... for current time.. its simply practice pad... and pillows for playing... until my drum kit is finished...being built.. piece by piece.. i have the snare .. bought it for $310... pacific... dont know what you guys think of them... owned by dw or something?... by anyways ... it sounded really good for the price...for what i need.. anyways.. i practice when i can... and continue to work on the music.. to end this paragraph i go by saying... i have actaed very cocky... braggy... conceited... and i really am sorry about that... really i am not like this in real person... i take full blame for all my wrong doings...and accept all critisizm...

later...

Adam]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 23, 2006 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Jeppe Morgenthaler ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Henry II:
    Just because a 16 year old acts like a 16 year old, doesn't mean that he should be treated like one by, supposedly, more mature, experienced drummers.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't know about you, but I never acted/wrote/spoke like that when I was 16. As I said before, that kid is delusional.

I agree that attacking him on that forum is probably pointless and will do more harm than good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12